TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Hwy 97 Wenatchee / Omak / Osoyoos

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by digicool, Mar 31, 2017.

1. digicool

digicool Member

Wonder if there is any info on new SC locations on the 97. The 2017 map shows 2 proposed spots which likely are Wenatchee and Omak (gathered from other threads).

I am hoping to to drive from Kelowna back to Seattle via the 97 / US2 this summer and would be great to have these locations. Reviews say ChaDemo chargers in Wenatchee and Leavenworth are not at all reliable.

I have emailed Tesla asking about the planned opening dates for these SCs. Will update here if I get any info.

2. digicool

digicool Member

Just got a reply from Tesla that the new locations are planned to be in Okanogan and Leavenworth which are both even better locations. Would be great if anyone from these area can update the thread if the see any SCs coming up. Cheers!

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  3. JackA

JackA Member

Plug-In North Central Washington has been communicating with Tesla SC Team for about a year and a half. Their plans are very fluid... as to driving Highway 97 there are 80A chargers along the way and the Aerovironment L3 chargers in Wenatchee, Leavenworth, Skykomish, and Sultan are very reliable. There was considerable down time this winter as these units were changed from 2G to 3G telenet service and then a truck plowed into the Skykomish unit and broke the handle so that was more down time. I have used these L3s for two years, they are the most reliable units you are likely to find.

• Like x 1
  4. Marcboy

Marcboy Member

Wow they reply to these emails ? Cool

Leavenworth is good for week ends, I like it

5. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

I'm loving all this extra Supercharger love the greater Seattle area is finally getting.

6. emupilot

emupilot Active Member

Here are a couple websites for supercharger sleuths:
    Leavenworth seems to use the state Department of Labor and Industries electrical permit lookup system.
    Okanogan has monthly permit reports here which are supposed to be updated on the 10th of each month (but February isn't posted yet).

I didn't find anything at either site (and there's no guarantee the supercharger permits will show up there), but they are easy to keep checking for any Tesla action.

7. digicool

digicool Member

Good to know the downtime was temporary and got resolved. Tesla seem to indicate the 97 plans are in very initial phase so I dont think they'll be up before summer when I intend to take 97 from Kelowna to Leavenworth and back to Eastside. One good news is the Monroe SC should be up soon. Even if they get Leavenworth up, it should help me a great deal.

For now, my plan is to start at 100% from Kelowna (after overnight stay there), charge at Lake Chelan RV park enough to reach Leavenworth. And then use the L3 Chademo at Leavenworth and maybe some more at Monroe depending on how long I stop at Leavenworth. If there are 80A chargers avaialble to public, I'd love to know. We are hoping to do the Kelowna to Eastside on the same day.

8. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

#8 BerTX, Apr 1, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
    High Amperage Level 2 Charging Network

Note that some of these are 70A, and some are 208V. Double-check in Plugshare if it is critical.

9. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

WRT CHAdeMO sites not being reliable in that area, realize that people who have issues tend to report them on Plugshare -- those who don't tend to "forget" to report a successful charge. The reliability may not be as bad as reported for ANY charging site on Plugshare.

• Helpful x 1
  10. JackA

JackA Member

BerTX: right on! Each of us should feel an obligation to other EV drivers to post on PlugShare after a charge.

• Like x 2
  11. JackA

JackA Member

Digicool: rather than 40A at the Chelan RV park, consider using the 80A units at: Mellisoni Winery, Campbell's Resort or the two 80A units behind city hall. Yes, Chelan is "electified" it might be the most dense haL2 area in the state.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  12. digicool

digicool Member

Good point. When 1 SC stall fails, there is atleast 3 more in an SC setup which likely work. With Chademos there is usually only 1 especially with the AV run stations. When doing trips with the family 98% reliability of charging stations is not good enough. With Tesla SCs the reliability is near 100%. Which I think is a very important reason why Tesla is successful. Kinda like how iTunes drives iDevice sales.

• Like x 1
  13. digicool

digicool Member

Thanks JackA. I just realized my plugshare window had some filters that caused to not show these stations. Ofcourse I will take the 80A spots if they are available.