Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Hyannis, MA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mociaf9

Oct 18, 2018
CA
I found Issued permits for a 12 stall, 150 kW supercharger at the Stop & Shop in Hyannis/Barnstable, just a bit northwest of the Cape Cod Mall and the Barnstable Airport. It's pretty much on MA-132 (Iyannough Rd), right in between US-6 and MA-28. The chargers will be going in on the section of the parking lot sort of off to itself on the north side of the store (link to exact location below). So far as I can tell, permitting for the project was complete in early/mid April so it's possible that construction has already started but not been spotted yet. The fact that construction just got going on the supercharger in Orleans, also at a Stop & Shop, makes me a bit more expectant for activity at this location.

What: New 12 stall, 150 kW supercharger to be installed on Cape Cod.
Address: 425 Attucks Ln, Hyannis, MA 02601
GPS: 41.676619, -70.307049

@Chuq @Mr. PlugShare

Supercharger- Barnstable_permit.JPG

I found Issued permits for a 12 stall, 150 kW supercharger at the Stop & Shop in Hyannis/Barnstable, just a bit northwest of the Cape Cod Mall and the Barnstable Airport. It's pretty much on MA-132 (Iyannough Rd), right in between US-6 and MA-28. The chargers will be going in on the section of the parking lot sort of off to itself on the north side of the store (link to exact location below). So far as I can tell, permitting for the project was complete in early/mid April so it's possible that construction has already started but not been spotted yet. The fact that construction just got going on the supercharger in Orleans, also at a Stop & Shop, makes me a bit more expectant for activity at this location.

What: New 12 stall, 150 kW supercharger to be installed on Cape Cod.
Address: 425 Attucks Ln, Hyannis, MA 02601
GPS: 41.676619, -70.307049

@Chuq @Mr. PlugShare

View attachment 427462

This is great news! Thanks for digging and posting this up.

This is just the electrical permit. So that's just the electrical work value, not the total construction value. The building permit application had a listed value of $120k. So, 150k total which is right inline with other projects.

At one point, I was looking into the cost of starting a charging business, and the units themselves were around that cost! To set up a two stall station was estimated to be around $250k, and I saw absolutely no way to reasonably recoup those costs. At $150k total cost, you've only got to sell 535MW at $0.28/kWh to break even. That's only 9,000 80% charge sessions for Model 3s, or 750 sessions per stall for the 12 stalls!

That's so crazy cheap it's blowing my mind right now. lol

Reactions: StevenM
At one point, I was looking into the cost of starting a charging business, and the units themselves were around that cost! To set up a two stall station was estimated to be around $250k, and I saw absolutely no way to reasonably recoup those costs. At $150k total cost, you've only got to sell 535MW at $0.28/kWh to break even. That's only 9,000 80% charge sessions for Model 3s, or 750 sessions per stall for the 12 stalls!

That's so crazy cheap it's blowing my mind right now. lol
It's not a real reflection of the full costs for Tesla as it doesn't include any of the site development costs. Things like site scouting and acquisition, design and engineering support, etc. Though since Tesla is making their own charging cabinets in-house and they make a lot of them, they are at least able to benefit from economies of scale and control their hardware costs to a certain extent.

As for your BOTE cost recovery calculations, I would like to know where Tesla is getting all this free electricity to pass on to the cars? :D

• Funny
Reactions: DrDabbles
I was checking the status of the permit for this location and found the Tesla site plan. Interestingly enough, I also discovered the Stop & Shop there had 110kW of SolarCity panels permitted in 2015 (the permit is still open, but there were inspections against it suggesting they were in fact installed). Even more interesting, there is an a permit opened this summer for a 250kW fuel cell energy system installation at this location as well. There is nothing indicating the SolarCity panels or fuel cell system are in any way related to the Tesla Supercharger - but it's in interesting mix of energy solutions at one location.

Hyannis Supercharger Plan
Hyannis Stop & Shop Bloom Energy Fuel Cell Plan

I was checking the status of the permit for this location and found the Tesla site plan. Interestingly enough, I also discovered the Stop & Shop there had 110kW of SolarCity panels permitted in 2015 (the permit is still open, but there were inspections against it suggesting they were in fact installed). Even more interesting, there is an a permit opened this summer for a 250kW fuel cell energy system installation at this location as well. There is nothing indicating the SolarCity panels or fuel cell system are in any way related to the Tesla Supercharger - but it's in interesting mix of energy solutions at one location.

Hyannis Supercharger Plan
Hyannis Stop & Shop Bloom Energy Fuel Cell Plan

Quick satellite image search shows the panels are indeed installed on the stop and shop roof.

Stop & Shop
425 Attucks Ln, Hyannis, MA 02601
(508) 771-0709
Google Maps

Anyone local to Hyannis looking for an excuse to get out of the house to check out progress on this location? Have the supercharger cabinets been unwrapped/installed? Is the utility transformer onsite (don't see it in the picture)? Is there a meter (clearly a spot for it and missing in the most recent picture)?