TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - I-10 Leon Springs, TX

Discussion in 'Texas' started by hmerrill3, Nov 28, 2019.

1. hmerrill3

hmerrill3 Texas Rail Jail Survivor

Another find on the TDLR website
    TDLR TABS - Project Details
    Project Name: Tesla EV Charging Station Installation - Leon Springs, TX
    Project Number: TABS2020005402
    Facility Name: H-E-B Grocery
    Location Address: 24165 I-10 #300, San Antonio, TX 78257
    Location County: Bexar
    Start Date: 1/2/2020
    Completion Date: 3/2/2020
    Estimated Cost: $166,805
    Scope of Work: Installation of Tesla electric vehicle charging station within existing parking lot of HEB Grocery.
    (5) charging cabinets, (10) charging posts

Given cabinet and charging posts counts could anyone confirm if this is an urban charger configuration?

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 3
  2. ReddyLeaf

ReddyLeaf Active Member

Great find. Given the location, I’d guess V3. That sure looks like a busy parking lot from google maps. The far north and south parts look less busy and available for a supercharger. @Chuq

• Funny x 1
  3. hmerrill3

hmerrill3 Texas Rail Jail Survivor

I think not V3, my understanding that V3 comes in modules of 4, though I could be mistaken. Still trying to determine the ratio of charging cabinets to charging slots that differentiate an Urban from a V2 or V3 SC.

I'm open to being educated.

• Informative x 1
  4. mociaf9

mociaf9 Active Member

Urban superchargers are a type of V2 supercharger. They are 1:2 (cabinet:stalls) just like the traditional 150kW V2 superchargers. You are correct that V3 is 1:4. So, assuming** the description of the project is correct, it'll be some flavor of V2.

**Not necessarily safe.

• Informative x 2
  5. ReddyLeaf

ReddyLeaf Active Member

That’s what I thought as well, but didn’t Tesla say only V3 for new builds (except maybe Urban for some locations, so probably urban stalls)?

Edit: Hmmm, Walmart nearby, so maybe Electrify America will duplicate efforts.

6. Cattledog

Cattledog Active Member

This is smack in San Antonio's development corridor, suburban for sure, gateway to the Hill Country and West Texas, though in 20 years it will have been consumed by development. Also less than a mile for Tesla's gallery in San Antonio. Wealthy part of town.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  7. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Leon Springs, TX

Along Primary Interstates: I-10
    Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-87
    Along Auxiliary Interstates: None
    Along State Routes: None

I-10

To: San Antonio - Huebner Oaks, TX - 9.8 miles
    Diversion: 0.3 miles
    To: Flatonia, TX - 107.2 miles

Hopefully this replaces Boerne, TX and actually gets built.
    West of San Antonio, TX, this would better allow travelers on I-10, or I-10/I-35 to take the loop road,

8. CharlieSA

CharlieSA Member

I live literally 2 miles away from there... all info above is correct. You’ve got the dominions, Anaqua Springs and the canyons within 5ish miles... those aren’t struggling neighborhoods.

my only concern is that prior to all the upcoming development it is an already a VERY busy parking. That HEB parking gets full on an average tuesday... kinda bitter sweet to me tbh

• Informative x 1
  9. electricglider

Hopefully they build the superchargers as far away from HEB as possible.

10. StoicKiwi

StoicKiwi Member

The whole intersection near this HEB is terrible but it's location is definitely better for folks travelling east via I-10 then doing a janky u-turn on the nightmare that is Huebner road....

• Like x 1
  11. cab

cab Member

My wife's sister lives in Boerne and she went back and forth from DFW several times to see her (after her knee replacement) in October and November. The first couple of times she was in San Antonio and used the new Supercharger there. The last trip she just plugged in at her sister's house on 110....slow, but does the trick when you are parked there for a few days. Regardless, having the SC in Leon Springs will be nice....admittedly not as nice as a Boerne SC would have been, but we'll take it!

12. CharlieSA

CharlieSA Member

OK I just looked at the link in the first post and it says current status: review complete. Does anyone know what that means? Is it the last step and they are ready to build or is it the initial review?

13. mociaf9

mociaf9 Active Member

The "Architectural Barriers" thing (that's what the opening link is to) is a separate process from the building permit application process, so it doesn't really mean anything in regards to when construction might start. It's just something that generally has to be started before they can apply for a building permit and it has to be completed with site inspections within a certain period after construction is complete.

• Helpful x 1
  14. CharlieSA

CharlieSA Member

Well saw a JCL type forklift with a bunch of metal “stuff” while passing by today. I’ll try and stop by on my way to work tomorrow. Might not be able to, depending if I carpool with the wife or not.

#fingerscrossed

• Informative x 1
  15. CharlieSA

CharlieSA Member

Well ladies and John Lennon, I think this is officially started. Please see the attached pic. Fun thing is that the concrete part clearly says Katy Supercharger.

@Chuq /others is it enough to update supercharge.info?

Attached Files:

• Like x 4
  16. MarcoRP

MarcoRP Mr. PlugShare

#16 MarcoRP, Jan 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    Yup! Updated!

• Like x 1
  17. Bodyhauler

Bodyhauler Member

Maybe that means they'll start on the Selma location soon as well!

• Like x 1
  18. CharleyBC

CharleyBC Member

The oval shape of the concrete bases settles it: this is not an Urban Supercharger. And the cabinet appearance and the permit say it’s V2. Nice addition!

• Like x 2
  19. CharlieSA

CharlieSA Member

Couple extra details for those that are interested. It backs to Boerne Stage Road so great visibility from the street. Easy to access, detour from I-10 is probably less than half a mile. Electric poles are right there so should be easy to get power to the Superchargers. I never thought about that section of the parking when it was announced but it’s probably the most accessible/ less busy part.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  20. CharlieSA

CharlieSA Member

Update as of today 5:15 PM, digging has started. Man Tesla isn’t wasting time!

• Like x 4