Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Leon Springs, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

hmerrill3

Texas Rail Jail Survivor
Jun 10, 2018
Houston, Texas
Another find on the TDLR website
TDLR TABS - Project Details
Project Name: Tesla EV Charging Station Installation - Leon Springs, TX
Project Number: TABS2020005402
Facility Name: H-E-B Grocery
Location Address: 24165 I-10 #300, San Antonio, TX 78257
Location County: Bexar
Start Date: 1/2/2020
Completion Date: 3/2/2020
Estimated Cost: $166,805
Scope of Work: Installation of Tesla electric vehicle charging station within existing parking lot of HEB Grocery.
(5) charging cabinets, (10) charging posts

Given cabinet and charging posts counts could anyone confirm if this is an urban charger configuration?

Great find. Given the location, I’d guess V3. That sure looks like a busy parking lot from google maps. The far north and south parts look less busy and available for a supercharger. @Chuq

• Funny
Reactions: plumazul
Great find. Given the location, I’d guess V3. That sure looks like a busy parking lot from google maps. The far north and south parts look less busy and available for a supercharger. @Chuq
I think not V3, my understanding that V3 comes in modules of 4, though I could be mistaken. Still trying to determine the ratio of charging cabinets to charging slots that differentiate an Urban from a V2 or V3 SC.

I'm open to being educated.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
I think not V3, my understanding that V3 comes in modules of 4, though I could be mistaken. Still trying to determine the ratio of charging cabinets to charging slots that differentiate an Urban from a V2 or V3 SC.

Urban superchargers are a type of V2 supercharger. They are 1:2 (cabinet:stalls) just like the traditional 150kW V2 superchargers. You are correct that V3 is 1:4. So, assuming** the description of the project is correct, it'll be some flavor of V2.

**Not necessarily safe.

That’s what I thought as well, but didn’t Tesla say only V3 for new builds (except maybe Urban for some locations, so probably urban stalls)?

Edit: Hmmm, Walmart nearby, so maybe Electrify America will duplicate efforts.

Leon Springs, TX

Along Primary Interstates: I-10
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-87
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None
Along State Routes: None

I-10

To: San Antonio - Huebner Oaks, TX - 9.8 miles
Diversion: 0.3 miles
To: Flatonia, TX - 107.2 miles

Hopefully this replaces Boerne, TX and actually gets built.
West of San Antonio, TX, this would better allow travelers on I-10, or I-10/I-35 to take the loop road,

This is smack in San Antonio's development corridor, suburban for sure, gateway to the Hill Country and West Texas, though in 20 years it will have been consumed by development. Also less than a mile for Tesla's gallery in San Antonio. Wealthy part of town.
I live literally 2 miles away from there... all info above is correct. You’ve got the dominions, Anaqua Springs and the canyons within 5ish miles... those aren’t struggling neighborhoods.

my only concern is that prior to all the upcoming development it is an already a VERY busy parking. That HEB parking gets full on an average tuesday... kinda bitter sweet to me tbh

• Informative
Reactions: TexasDuke
My wife's sister lives in Boerne and she went back and forth from DFW several times to see her (after her knee replacement) in October and November. The first couple of times she was in San Antonio and used the new Supercharger there. The last trip she just plugged in at her sister's house on 110....slow, but does the trick when you are parked there for a few days. Regardless, having the SC in Leon Springs will be nice....admittedly not as nice as a Boerne SC would have been, but we'll take it!

OK I just looked at the link in the first post and it says current status: review complete. Does anyone know what that means? Is it the last step and they are ready to build or is it the initial review?
The "Architectural Barriers" thing (that's what the opening link is to) is a separate process from the building permit application process, so it doesn't really mean anything in regards to when construction might start. It's just something that generally has to be started before they can apply for a building permit and it has to be completed with site inspections within a certain period after construction is complete.

• Helpful
Reactions: WFrank
Well ladies and John Lennon, I think this is officially started. Please see the attached pic. Fun thing is that the concrete part clearly says Katy Supercharger.

@Chuq /others is it enough to update supercharge.info?

Attachments

• 74B8D753-5D5B-4BC3-92CD-F1D4DEC09197.jpeg
    74B8D753-5D5B-4BC3-92CD-F1D4DEC09197.jpeg
    343 KB · Views: 232
  • 30952E3E-8503-4CBE-ABA4-B7F658F4C145.jpeg
    30952E3E-8503-4CBE-ABA4-B7F658F4C145.jpeg
    567.1 KB · Views: 133
  • 78E535C3-D3B2-4D97-BFA7-702787F80F3E.jpeg
    78E535C3-D3B2-4D97-BFA7-702787F80F3E.jpeg
    388.2 KB · Views: 123
  • D4456838-6FB4-464B-B12F-91B979C20D50.jpeg
    D4456838-6FB4-464B-B12F-91B979C20D50.jpeg
    338.4 KB · Views: 152
  • 432E3FB8-411B-487F-8269-C00EFE74708B.jpeg
    432E3FB8-411B-487F-8269-C00EFE74708B.jpeg
    316.5 KB · Views: 139
Well ladies and John Lennon, I think this is officially started. Please see the attached pic. Fun thing is that the concrete part clearly says Katy Supercharger.

@Chuq /others is it enough to update supercharge.info?
The oval shape of the concrete bases settles it: this is not an Urban Supercharger. And the cabinet appearance and the permit say it’s V2. Nice addition!

Couple extra details for those that are interested. It backs to Boerne Stage Road so great visibility from the street. Easy to access, detour from I-10 is probably less than half a mile. Electric poles are right there so should be easy to get power to the Superchargers. I never thought about that section of the parking when it was announced but it’s probably the most accessible/ less busy part.