Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Idaho Springs, CO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Source is a Public Hearing at a city council meeting that took place Jun 5, 2019: City Council Live search for "tesla"
"Tesla Electric Vehicle Charging Station Final Development Plan"
Direct link to the Youtube Video that is linked from the search results:
Relevant section runs from 5min - 22min.

In the 15 spot parking lot east of the Kum & Go
39.741549, -105.518358
https://www.google.com/maps/place/39°44'29.6"N+105°31'06.1"W
8 Supercharging stations
An interesting note is that Kum & Go approached Tesla to develop the site.

Is this enough evidence to get a dot on the map? @BlueShift

This is great and will help a lot given the ICEing issues at Silverthorne.

Let's take a moment to pour one out in honor of the visionaries at Beau Jo's Pizza for having maintained their two L2 stations here for years. Those enabled me and countless others access to Idaho Springs, Mt Evans, Georgetown, etc in our pre-Tesla short-range EVs.

This is great and will help a lot given the ICEing issues at Silverthorne.

Let's take a moment to pour one out in honor of the visionaries at Beau Jo's Pizza for having maintained their two L2 stations here for years. Those enabled me and countless others access to Idaho Springs, Mt Evans, Georgetown, etc in our pre-Tesla short-range EVs.
Agreed. Give Beau Jo's credit for this.

Interesting that the city planning commission's biggest question was whether Tesla would improve on Kum & Go's apparently less than great follow-through on their responsibility to maintain the landscaping around the lot. o_O

I would love to have a beer with one of the Tesla reps that is involved in representing Tesla at this sort of meeting, negotiating with landowners/local commissions, etc. I bet they have some interesting stories on what makes for an easy planning/agreement/installation process vs those with gum in the works.

Edit - Also, @gnavi has the dot in the correct spot, but on supercharge.info it's in the wrong location (over there, it's at the Kum & Go filling stations, not at the correct lot to the east of the Kum & Go building).

Idaho Springs, CO

Along Primary Interstates: I-70
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-6, US-40
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-70:
To: Denver, CO - 45.1 miles
Diversion: 0.4 miles
To: Limon, CO - 120 miles

To: Brush, CO (I-70, I-76) - 119.3 miles

Helpful for the I-70 to I-76 connection, and adds more density along I-70 to help with passes.

Does anyone have an update for the Idaho Springs, CO supercharger? I am going from Ft. Collins to Silver Plume, CO (and return the same day) in a couple of weeks and it would make my 450+ kwh MX 90D trip easier.
Likely won't be open this year. Planning approval was just given in June. About 4 months from planning approval to construction start is as fast as these projects go. Which would put an early start date in mid October with opening potentially as early as Christmas/New Year if it's a quick build. But, IMO, not that likely.

• Informative
Reactions: TexasDuke
I frequently check the area as I am opening up one of the local mines in the area. Nothing yet as far as a hint of anything happening.

It will be nice when it goes up to have something on this side.

Will be nice if they ever get a Lakewood charger up too. Having to go to Boulder or out by the airport sucks.

Especially making the commute from fort Collins to Idaho springs

Things are moving it appears

Attachments

• 6E9D16E5-DB2F-470C-A38F-B9CACCA97CF7.jpeg
    6E9D16E5-DB2F-470C-A38F-B9CACCA97CF7.jpeg
    485.4 KB · Views: 386
Great! I hope they resume expanding the charging network in Colorado and New Mexico, we're certainly due for some new ones. The last new Supercharger opened in Colorado on July 3rd, 2018 (Aspen) and the last new one opened in New Mexico on November 18, 2017.

The one most on my wish list are Steamboat so that I could drive all the way there from home, ski, then charge up and head back rather than having two stops at Silverthorne. I'd also like to see the one planned for Soccorro, NM to open. That'd make it a lot easier to visit White Sands, Roswell and Carlsbad.

Reactions: aburrows