Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Idaho Springs, CO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And also the fact that mountains are range murderers. Not crazy to see 600-900+ kwh/mi going up the interstate into the mountains, esp. if it's cold. Our glut of chargers are concentrated near I-70 at the base of the mountains, and also intersecting I-25. If you take all those out, we don't have an unusual amount for the population, esp. compared to Utah or Arizona.

Reactions: Matsayz
I stopped by the SC today. Although there was power including the stall lights, the chargers would not start. I did hear the cooling units in the stalls operating.
Do we know why they are still "Temporarily Closed"? It would be nice if they could put a descriptor as to why they are closed (ie: construction on the gas station, utility work in the area, etc) as well as "estimated time that it will reopen"

Reactions: gregoryg
While it's nice they are really building out the Denver metro area, does anyone else notice a pattern? Idaho Springs has been reported as having problems for weeks since it recently opened. Thornton has repeatedly has problems. Multiple Superchargers in Lakewood have been out of service since it opened. A third of the Superchargers at Centennial still aren't activated. I wonder if these were all built by the same contractor...and if they are having 'issues'. :(

While it's nice they are really building out the Denver metro area, does anyone else notice a pattern? Idaho Springs has been reported as having problems for weeks since it recently opened. Thornton has repeatedly has problems. Multiple Superchargers in Lakewood have been out of service since it opened. A third of the Superchargers at Centennial still aren't activated. I wonder if these were all built by the same contractor...and if they are having 'issues'. :(

I agree, it's disappointing and I've been wondering about the installs. I remember when they moved the Supercharger location at Park Meadows mall, it went live and then a month or two later they added these devices:

Screen Shot 2020-07-01 at 9.57.01 AM.png

The smaller boxes are "Auto Transformers" and they are used for Voltage Regulation before the feed enters the actual Superchargers. I wondered why they didn't install them when the site went in and it could be that they want to run the site for a while before the add the regulation equipment. It's just a guess.

Has anyone noticed these at any of the other new sites?

• Informative
Reactions: electricdoolz
Are they all v3s? There have been problems with opening the v3s since inception. It isn't unique to Colorado.

I agree, it's disappointing and I've been wondering about the installs. I remember when they moved the Supercharger location at Park Meadows mall, it went live and then a month or two later they added these devices:

View attachment 559091

The smaller boxes are "Auto Transformers" and they are used for Voltage Regulation before the feed enters the actual Superchargers. I wondered why they didn't install them when the site went in and it could be that they want to run the site for a while before the add the regulation equipment. It's just a guess.

Has anyone noticed these at any of the other new sites?

Currently charging at Colorado Mills Supercharger, it’s hard to see but I could not find Auto Transformers.

One other data point that might be relevant, 2 other Tesla owners, both with newer vehicles, told me the last stall towards the mall was not working. But on my 2014 Classic S it is working fine, this time and once before. Could this be part of what is happening?

I was in Black hawk recently and looking at the supercharger list in the app, Idaho Springs was missing. Silverthorne was there to the west and Centennial was listed, too. Any idea why Idaho Sprgs was not listed? It certainly is the closest one.

3/6/24 Update: One of the larger inverter boxes and one supercharger have been hit by... something. There isn't much left of the supercharger unit and the power box is dented. It appears as though the box that was damaged controlled the 4 untouched superchargers and it has been taken off line, so there are only a total of 3 superchargers operational as of this morning.

• Informative
Reactions: Jeff Hudson
3/6/24 Update: One of the larger inverter boxes and one supercharger have been hit by... something. There isn't much left of the supercharger unit and the power box is dented. It appears as though the box that was damaged controlled the 4 untouched superchargers and it has been taken off line, so there are only a total of 3 superchargers operational as of this morning.
Pics would be interesting in this case.

Reactions: Jeff Hudson
Pics would be interesting in this case.
A Model Y rammed into the inverter and demolished one of the chargers a few days ago. Pictures taken from Denver Tesla Club Facebook.
IMG_5214.jpeg
IMG_5213.jpeg