Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger in Ft. Myers confirmed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's a web page that lists all of the shopping malls owned by the same company as this one:

CBL : Great Shopping Places : By State

It might be worthwhile to search other ones in case they made a multi-location deal.

It looks like there was indeed a multi-location deal:

Wall Street Journal said:
CBL & Associates Properties Inc. (NYSE: CBL) today announced the launch of a partnership with Tesla Motors, Inc. (NASDAQ: TSLA) to install Tesla Supercharging stations at several CBL Malls across the country. Tesla is building a network of Supercharging stations that will eventually enable Tesla owners to drive coast to coast in their electric vehicles. The initial cooperation will place Tesla Superchargers at five CBL Malls to include Gulf Coast Town Center in Fort Myers, FL; The Pavilion at Port Orange in Port Orange, FL; Alamance Crossing in Burlington, NC; CherryVale Mall in Rockford, IL and Imperial Valley in El Centro, CA.

Tesla Supercharging Stations at CBL Malls

Supercharger construction progress.

Fort Myers Meetup 006.JPG

Larry

Last edited:
Yes and the corrosion issues that ensued are a real sticking point. Many stations have been abandoned as the cost to conform to the new tank regulations are cost prohibitive.
The progress is fantastic....... I'm looking forward to a visit from the East coast to try it out.

By the way, it occurs to me that the battery swapping can't exist at any of the Florida Superchargers, as they can't dig deep enough.
Couldn't they build some type of an elevated "ramp" so the swapping gear could be @ ground level with the vehicle up above? The demonstration appeared to be on some type of elevated staging. I would think the entire swapping apparatus would need to be an indoor affair.

Eh? Don't gas stations have their huge gas tanks buried in the ground in FL?

Yes, but they're probably submerged in water, which isn't "as much" of a problem as that would be in this case. As lolachampcar points out, there can be corrosion. But the "works" of the battery swap operation seems to include robotic movement of old batteries and new batteries, which would not be able to be accomplished underwater.

Couldn't they build some type of an elevated "ramp" so the swapping gear could be @ ground level with the vehicle up above? The demonstration appeared to be on some type of elevated staging. I would think the entire swapping apparatus would need to be an indoor affair.

I think we're veering off topic, but while I agree building a Swapping station may be a bit more challenging in Florida, I do think that Tesla engineers are very talented and an elevated indoor structure is certainly feasible.

Larry

I think we're veering off topic, but while I agree building a Swapping station may be a bit more challenging in Florida, I do think that Tesla engineers are very talented and an elevated indoor structure is certainly feasible.

Larry

I agree about a ramp of some sort but I just thought back about all the times I have taken cars for service and they would not allow owners to either pull in or out. Fortunately we have geniuses that work for Tesla that could come up with a drive up service ramp that even I could easily and safely use. :-D

OMG is it time yet Supercharger Team??? I'm thinking the end of this month.