Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Glendive, MT (LIVE Jun 2020, 8 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. How did you find out the breaker size ?

I just went to the breaker box, found the probable garage circuits, and flipped breakers to verify the circuits I was likely to use. Oddly enough our current house/garage was wired with 20 amp circuits and 15 amp receptacles. That's assuming the correct gauge wiring was used for the 20 amp breakers. If I change the receptacles to 20 amps I will first verify the actual wiring. Easy enough to do I just haven't been motivated, yet. We have only had the Tesla for 2 months and for my driving the 15 amp circuit has been fast enough, so far. I can always pop over to the Supercharger in Billings if needed. Some day I will add a Tesla wall charger.

We have only had the Tesla for 2 months and for my driving the 15 amp circuit has been fast enough, so far.
Winter is a very different experience when it comes to EVs. It is a lot more pleasant to upgrade charging options in the autumn.

I just went to the breaker box, found the probable garage circuits, and flipped breakers to verify the circuits I was likely to use.
Ah .. I thought you were checking circuits at the hospital.

Reactions: im.thatoneguy
Winter is a very different experience when it comes to EVs. It is a lot more pleasant to upgrade charging options in the autumn.

Ah .. I thought you were checking circuits at the hospital.

Good point, my slow charging is going to be tricky when it's -25, that's the main reason I'm hoping for the SC soon. I can always drive the 4runner if the temp/snow is too extreme.

And that makes more sense, the question was about the hospital circuit. I thought the question was a bit........well........basic, but I was trying not to make assumptions. At the hospital, I just use the defibrilator...........everybody clear! Check the pulse......

No seriously, I haven't even checked the hospital circuit since it hasn't yet been an issue. I plug in on the wall outside the ambulance bay which likely is 20 amp, and weather covered. Another reason I should pick up the 5-20 adaptor. I'm just being lazy, easy to get away with in the summer. I'll have to check that circuit tonight. Hospital wiring is a bit trickier and we have no dedicated EV charging.

Another reason I should pick up the 5-20 adaptor. I'm just being lazy, easy to get away with in the summer. I'll have to check that circuit tonight.
If you are lucky it is a 20 Amp circuit with a 5-20 receptacle. The 5-20 receptacle is easily identified by its extra notch.

At the risk of stating the obvious, I was wondering how you might identify a 20 Amp circuit at the hospital that terminates in a 5-15 receptacle. I would be inclined to pull off the plate and inspect the wire but hospital personnel might have a hissy fit. Can you call a friend on the maintenance staff ?

If you are lucky it is a 20 Amp circuit with a 5-20 receptacle. The 5-20 receptacle is easily identified by its extra notch.

At the risk of stating the obvious, I was wondering how you might identify a 20 Amp circuit at the hospital that terminates in a 5-15 receptacle. I would be inclined to pull off the plate and inspect the wire but hospital personnel might have a hissy fit. Can you call a friend on the maintenance staff ?

The outlet at the hospital has a 15-20 receptacle. It is also 110 v, according to the Tesla app, which seems accurate on other circuits. I don't have a meter here. No one here would notice or much care if I pulled the cover to check the wiring, the plug's out back and I work overnights. In any case, I doubt they installed a 15 amp circuit with a 20 amp receptacle outside the ambulance bay. I just ordered the 15-20 Tesla adaptor and will look around for the 20-15 plug adaptor for the other lines or make those true 20 amp circuits. Every little bit helps until we get a SC here in Miles City and I get a wall charger at home. Thanks for the advice. How fast the 15 and/or 20 amp circuits charge in the winter is an issue.

Any updates on the Glendive Supercharger? Still waiting in Miles City and haven't seen any new suspicious activity.......

And the post above should have read 5-20 receptacle and adaptor, not 15-20.......my edit eye missed that one.

Last edited:
I stay in town for 3 days to a week a few times a month. The trip is 150 miles door to door. I charge the P3D-, 310 range, on a 120 v circuit at the apartment or the same at the hospital. That works fine in warm weather and when I have at least two days in town but not so well for round trips and maybe not so well when it's -25 degrees. I haven't done the winter thing in the Tesla yet as I bought the car in August of this year. Anyway, for me the SC will be a bit of added security. There is a 14-50 charger at the local KOA.

I've gone through one MN winter with my Model 3 and for a long trip like that you won't see as bad of a winter range loss as people who do a lot of shorter drives in heavy traffic. You're only warming up the battery and cabin the one time then maintaining it during the drive. If it's only just below freezing you may see about 10-20% range loss at the most. Wind will be the big factor, though, as you may have already experienced.

I did some experimenting with "hypermiling" mine this winter for my 130 mile round-trip commute through rural MN/IA that involved using only the seat warmer, keeping my hat, gloves and coat on and setting HVAC to LO (prevents the cabin heater from running). When it was 0 degrees F I could get as good as 280 Wh/mi doing that. Another 20-30 degrees warmer and I'm below 270. With your LR battery once you get access to Supercharging and/or NEMA 14-50 you'll be able to do your commute in shorts and a T-shirt during the next polar vortex and not worry about range.

Thanks, that's helpful. I've been flying through Minneapolis–Saint Paul for years and MN always seems to get more snow and be colder than Billings so I should be able to tweak this. I keep experimenting with ways to keep the Wh/mi down. Cabin heat is a good tip. Just haven't yet had the extreme cold to test. My biggest waste of power now is driving 85 mph (speed limit here is 80), so I will have to dial that back in the snow and below zero temps. I'm not convinced Miles City will get a supercharger before spring. I still see no construction activity.

As of 4pm today!
IMG_20191109_153233626.jpg
IMG_20191109_153240172.jpg
IMG_20191109_153254252.jpg

Any new updates with Glendive? It's the one supercharger that I need in order to make it to Regina from Colorado.

I don't think we have any regular riders over that way. I will check progress at the Miles City location tomorrow and see if I can remotely learn anything about Glendive. Is that a Holiday Inn? We can always call the hotel and ask what they know.

Reactions: Bwettt
I don't think we have any regular riders over that way. I will check progress at the Miles City location tomorrow and see if I can remotely learn anything about Glendive. Is that a Holiday Inn? We can always call the hotel and ask what they know.
Good idea. I may head out that way after checking with them for activity.

There should be activity in the next few days/weeks.