Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger in Hawaii

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yes, but I think we're way ahead of other states as far as charging stations per capita. Now if we can just figure out how to stop the Chargers from being leaf'd all the time :tongue:

I suggest you contact mall owners and other commercial destinations and tell them about the Tesla destination charging program that provides free HPWCs and may even help pay installation costs. Then you will have dedicated Tesla-only charging spots that can't be Leaf'ed.

thanks . Never even thought about the HPWCs.

In FL we've been pretty successful at putting businesses and Tesla in touch with each other to get HPWCs installed at various destinations. E.g Take a group of folks to a restaurant at the end of an island and tell that your Tesla friends would come more often if they installed an HPWC....Alternatively FL club members make a point of asking about charging facilities at hotels and requesting concierge help to find chargers, there's so many hotels with chargers now (many are Clipper Creek so take your J1772 adaptor) that we have a map with the hotels marked up.

I suggest you contact mall owners and other commercial destinations and tell them about the Tesla destination charging program that provides free HPWCs and may even help pay installation costs. Then you will have dedicated Tesla-only charging spots that can't be Leaf'ed.

This!
it may not be as good as a supercharger, but it's faster than a public charger and it can't get Leaf'd. Great suggestion ecarfan. Your chocolate Mac nuts shall now resume :biggrin:

Let's also remember to show some e-love to our Leaf driving brothers/sisters. Those spots get Leaf'd because there are more of them and they probably need the charge more than us. I actually skip those charging stalls nowadays unless parking is really really scarce. Of course, I have a home equipped with PV so I can say this, but for DSmith, he will continue to make the owners proclaim "the charging spot got Tesla'd!" Lol

In FL we've been pretty successful at putting businesses and Tesla in touch with each other to get HPWCs installed at various destinations. E.g Take a group of folks to a restaurant at the end of an island and tell that your Tesla friends would come more often if they installed an HPWC....Alternatively FL club members make a point of asking about charging facilities at hotels and requesting concierge help to find chargers, there's so many hotels with chargers now (many are Clipper Creek so take your J1772 adaptor) that we have a map with the hotels marked up.

NigelM, that's good info. I will take this and try to find a way to use it. But as you know or can imagine, most of our hotels are down in Waikiki. And while there are rental Leaf's there's no rental Teslas. And its sort of hard to convince hotel management to install HPWC for Teslas. And unless we actually work in one of those hotels or that district, its is way out of the way to go to the hotel to charge.

And understandable that we don't have very many folks driving their Teslas from another state to stay in the hotel for a charge. :cool:

But those are good ideas about restaurants and other types of businesses as for installing EV charging.

NigelM, that's good info. I will take this and try to find a way to use it. But as you know or can imagine, most of our hotels are down in Waikiki. And while there are rental Leaf's there's no rental Teslas. And its sort of hard to convince hotel management to install HPWC for Teslas. And unless we actually work in one of those hotels or that district, its is way out of the way to go to the hotel to charge.

And understandable that we don't have very many folks driving their Teslas from another state to stay in the hotel for a charge. :cool:

But those are good ideas about restaurants and other types of businesses as for installing EV charging.
the Waikiki hotels are pretty much covered by OpConnect (former Betterplace) chargers. I charged down at HHV the other day at a pitiful 8 Mph. the good news is that they no longer require you to have an OpConnect card to charge there for free. (last year they made you either have one or get one from the concierge) the bad news is that even with validation they charged me $8 to park. It would have been $25 without validation.

the other day while at the SC having my door handles replaced...
someone that was waiting for their car mentioned that the charger at home depot charged faster (>30 Mph?) than the average (18 Mph) public charger. didn't catch which Home Depot he was talking about...

now if there was a company whose owner had an underwater 007 car we may see someone driving here from another state.:cool:

Last edited:
the other day while at the SC having my door handles replaced...
someone that was waiting for their car mentioned that the charger at home depot charged faster (>30 Mph?) than the average (18 Mph) public charger. didn't catch which Home Depot he was talking about...

must be the Home Depot in Kapolei. Not sure if any other Home Depot has chargers. Looks like it's a Schneider charger.

must be the Home Depot in Kapolei. Not sure if any other Home Depot has chargers. Looks like it's a Schneider charger.

I have been to every Home Depot on this island. The only one that has a charging station is in Kapolei. There are two stalls and they are big. I usually will shop at Home Depot and then walk across the street to Costco while my MS is charging. It charges pretty fast. Kapolei is cool in that there are several charging stations in the different shopping centers. One is over by Down to Earth. Two are by the Safeway. There is the one at Home Depot.

drtko147, the other cool thing about Kapolei is that there's less competition for the charging slots. Everything isn't leafed out like most other places. To give you an idea of how few EVs are purchased by people living in the Kapolei area, I managed to get my EV 4XX license plate last year at Kapolei satellite hall while most other places were giving away EV plates approaching 3000 numbers. Rumor has it that Akikiki caught wind of these low numbers and hustled on over to Kapolei when his red rocket arrived.

drtko147, the other cool thing about Kapolei is that there's less competition for the charging slots. Everything isn't leafed out like most other places. To give you an idea of how few EVs are purchased by people living in the Kapolei area, I managed to get my EV 4XX license plate last year at Kapolei satellite hall while most other places were giving away EV plates approaching 3000 numbers. Rumor has it that Akikiki caught wind of these low numbers and hustled on over to Kapolei when his red rocket arrived.

Yeah, did. Mine was registered months later and there's only 6 numbers difference between our tags. That means in many months only 5 other EVs were registered out yonder.

Since this is a SuperCharger thread, let me take this opportunity to encourage everyone to submit an email to Tesla requesting TM install one or two superchargers on Oahu. I have done this a couple of times myself.

I explain in my email that although we are not a Point A to Point B site for Superchargers like the mainland. We have a different problem and requirement. We have quite a few owners and potential owners that live in high rises that do not have the infrastructure to support 220/220 or HPWC capability. Therefore one or two SuperChargers available in/around the Ala Moana/Kakaako and Pearlridge areas would provide for owners to stop on their way to or from work and get a quick charge without spending hours waiting/spending extra time a merchants.

So, please help us sell Tesla on the idea that one or two SuperChargers on Oahu will fuel (do you like that pun) Model S 85/60 SC enabled sales.