TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Supercharger in Orlando (Turkey Lake Turnpike Plaza)

Discussion in 'Florida' started by NigelM, Jul 24, 2013.

1. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

#1 NigelM, Jul 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
    Thanks Scott! Hopefully the Orlando site will be the south end of Turkey Lake just off the I-4. Could be near Universal or at the Orlando Outlet Mall (there's a couple of other malls right at the junction of I-4 and the Turnpike. A little less convenient (but still ok) if it's at the Turkey Lake service plaza as that is a good 4 miles from the I-4.

OTOH, it just occurred to me that Tesla is opening a store at the Millenia Mall which is just up the road from the I-4/Turnpike junction, would make sense for the Superchargers to be located at that mall.....

Anyway, I put a question mark in the thread title only because it doesn't appear on the Tesla SC map yet. I'll let the permit detectives take it from here.....:wink:

2. Nickjhowe

Nickjhowe Member

Per info the meet up today, there is one going in at Fort Drum in the Service Plaza. Not sure if the Turkey Lake one is the service plaza also, or a mall.

Also Pompano Beach and Weston (maybe).

3. aviators99

aviators99 Model S - R140

If there's one in Weston, I'll have pictures every day. We can make a time lapse.

4. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

Nick,
    I too heard it was on the TP at FD and could be on line as early as two months pending permitting.

5. dmetcalf

dmetcalf S258

Turkey Lake

For those not from Orlando, there are two places with the name Turkey Lake- one near Disney/Seaworld at I-4 and 528. This is probably not it though because the other location with that name is a Turnpike Service Plaza just West of Orlando and within range of Pt St Lucie from the South and Lake City from the North. Speculation, but it would make sense to me.

6. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Model S Perf Sig 1055

Per Nigel's original posting I heard that Tesla is evaluating multiple locations in Turkey Lake, not just the Turnpike.

Larry

7. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

There's a ton of owners in Orlando and I believe that the Millenia Mall store is due to open late Q3. Service Center is coming to the slightly less pricey neighborhood of Sanford IIRC...

8. lolachampcar

and the permit hunt begins :)

9. Anzir

Anzir Member

Millennia Mall would make most sense as it is easily accessed from I-4 and the turnpike... and it's a great place to spend time while waiting. If it's at the Turkey Lake service stop on the turnpike, it would significantly reduce the effectiveness.

10. bjay25

bjay25 Member

I would think the Millennia Mall owners would "negotiate" to have a charging station there about... a great reason to shop and "fill up".

11. towman26

towman26 Member

I hope they get Orlando done soon and it's close to Disney.

12. lolachampcar

Has anyone heard anything? By chance can someone in the Port Orange area stop by and catch the construction crew? It seems Tesla is using the same contractor for the state and thus the team at PO may know something.

13. caddieo

caddieo Member

#13 caddieo, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
    See my post today at 1:25 PM in the Florida section under the heading of Port Orange superchargers

14. Madartist

Madartist Member

Any new information regarding the location and opening of the Orlando supercharger from the Port Orange grand opening that people can share?

15. Chas F

Chas F Model S 60kWh #P6396

No specific information about an Orlando Supercharger other than comments about Orlando being a destination, in contrast to most Supercharger sites being at "in between" locations. There was talk of a Tesla store at the Millinea Mall (old news) and a service center in the Altamonte Springs area (new rumor). The concensus was that these would stand up by the end of this year.

16. Larry Chanin

The Orlando Service Center is in Longwood.

It should be opening this coming Monday, November 4th if things go right.

The address is 2300 US Highway 92, Longwood, FL 32750.

Larry

- - - Updated - - -

I also have credible, but not offical information, that the Fort Drum Service Plaza on the Turnpike and Pompano Beach are being considered for locations.

Larry

17. jrreno

jrreno Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile

When I google the Fort Drum Service plaza it seems very close to PSL. Is there a different Fort Drum Plaza than what Google Maps has?

18. Larry Chanin

Hi Jim,

To my knowledge there are no other Fort Drum service centers. Its possible that Tesla is not concerned about the proximity to Port Saint Lucie, but rather they are more concerned about having a Supercharger available once owners have committed to driving on the Turnpike.

I know that other forum members are in favor of Superchargers on the Turnpike, but if there were say a Supercharger station located at The Mall at Millenia it would be only about 120 miles to Port Saint Lucie and therefore a Supercharger might not be needed on that stretch of the Turnpike between Orlando and Port Saint Lucie. If Tesla decides to place a Supercharger on that stretch of the Turnpike it might only be used as redundancy to help avoid Supercharger congestion when there are more Teslas on the roads.

If you review Tesla's interactive map you'll see that there is a planned dot located in the Saint Augustine area. That dot is only about 50 miles from the existing Port Orange Supercharger and the planned Jacksonville Supercharger. Perhaps Tesla's reasoning is the same, to help avoid congestion in the future.

Larry

19. Nickjhowe

Nickjhowe Member

Wow. Weird location. Are you really sure about the address Larry? I can't see any logical reason for putting it there. Is a terrible location for the Turnpike. Doesn't even seem that great for Tampa-Daytona.

20. Anzir

Anzir Member

This is the service center, not the supercharger. It looks like they are taking over an old RV service center. Only about 3 miles from the Lamborghini/Bentley dealership.