Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Turkey Lake, FL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow. Weird location. Are you really sure about the address Larry? I can't see any logical reason for putting it there. Is a terrible location for the Turnpike. Doesn't even seem that great for Tampa-Daytona.

Hi Nick,

Here's photo Nipul took yesterday.

Orlando-Longwood Service Center.jpg

Larry

There is a Chademo charger going into Southerlin Nissan according to pictures on Plugshare. If Tesla ever releases the adapter and if one could afford it the location might be useful. I have read in many accounts that Nissan dealers have been friendly to Tesla charging.

So based off the opening of the Tesla Service Center/Store in Longwood coupled with the fact there is no Supercharger coming to Orlando (based off of Tesla's map)... does that make this discussion moot?

Hi Anzir,

I'm sorry but I don't follow the connection between the opening of the Longwood Service Center and the absence of the Orlando Supercharger from the Tesla map. Would you please elaborate.

Call me an optimist, but I believe we will see new Supercharger dots appearing on the map before 2015 comes and goes. However, I do think that Tesla has taken a more conservative stance on the "Coming Soon" Superchargers by limiting them to locations that have actually received building permits.

Larry

The discussion appeared to center on Millennia as a store location, which would also tie in well with SC terminals given the proximity to the turnpike and I-4. Now the Tesla website only lists the Service Center address when you look for Tesla stores as well. If that is going to be the only Tesla store in Orlando, and given the huge numbers of SCs on the 2015 map (that shows no dot near Orlando), perhaps the vision for Central Florida has changed. I do agree that the map is conservative given the fact there are no SC locations along the whole turnpike (and the disclaimer stating "exact locations and timing may vary").

The discussion appeared to center on Millennia as a store location, which would also tie in well with SC terminals given the proximity to the turnpike and I-4. Now the Tesla website only lists the Service Center address when you look for Tesla stores as well. If that is going to be the only Tesla store in Orlando, and given the huge numbers of SCs on the 2015 map (that shows no dot near Orlando), perhaps the vision for Central Florida has changed. I do agree that the map is conservative given the fact there are no SC locations along the whole turnpike (and the disclaimer stating "exact locations and timing may vary").

Hi Anzir,

The Millenia store location discussion was based on reviewing the Tesla careers page. Here is a current screen shot of a portion of the careers page.

Tesla facilities.jpg

You'll notice that the Millenia store location remains. I interpret that to mean that Tesla is still serious about locating a store there. The Millenia location is a great location for a store, and as you allude to that location is both strategically located for a Supercharger and obviously has all the necessary amenities.

As I mentioned in my previous posting, perhaps I am naive, but I still feel there is reason to believe that this location is not out of the question even if an Orlando dot is not currently shown on the map.

The Supercharger team knows the importance of Central Florida and I am confident that eventually we will see a Supercharger there. I've got my fingers crossed that it will be at Millenia.

On a side note, it is interesting to note that Nissan is aggressively pursuing CHAdeMO fast chargers at their dealerships. This coming Saturday, they will be having a ribbon-cutting ceremony at their Sutherlin dealership in Orlando. I wonder if we will see an Orlando supercharger before Tesla releases the CHAdeMO adapter. :wink:

Regards,

Larry

Larry, you definitely have the answers! Thanks for your thoughtful reply, as always. Although a supercharger in Orlando wouldn't benefit me, I feel it would be one of the busiest stations at the crossroads of Florida.

Thanks for the kind words. I don't know if I have the answers, but like most on this forum I have an opinion. :redface:

Yes, an Orlando Supercharger would be very busy. After all Orlando is the most traveled destination in the world.

As much as I feel we should have an Orlando Supercharger sooner, rather than later, nevertheless I feel even stronger that Orlando resorts and hotels should have overnight charging, because Orlando is such a prominent destination. In particular I am very disappointed by the glacial pace that Walt Disney World is approaching this issue. On behalf of the club I have sent another message to Disney and I am hopeful I will receive a more positive response than we have over the last two years.

Larry

Last edited:
I do agree that the map is conservative given the fact there are no SC locations along the whole turnpike (and the disclaimer stating "exact locations and timing may vary").

This change in approach to the map was discussed in a recent Green Cars Report, Tesla Superchargers Now Opening Fast, Cross-Country Route Close.

No dates on maps

In addition to stepping up the pace of Supercharger openings, Tesla has cannily eliminated the dated maps on its website that showed future Supercharger sites. In the past, these maps stirred huge excitement and anticipation among Model S owners, but led to disappointment and grumbling when some of the promised Superchargers failed to appear on schedule. The Summer 2013 map, for example, promised 18 new Superchargers, but only 13 were live as autumn began on September 21.

Even more ambitiously, Tesla's Fall 2013 map promised 51 new U.S. Superchargers before winter, including seven in the Northeast. In early December, with less than half that number deployed and a December 21 deadline fast approaching, Tesla deep-sixed the Fall 2013 map from the website and replaced it with a "Coming Soon" map, which offers the advantage of a vague deadline that constantly recedes.

Now each new Supercharger opening will be greeted with ecstatic and grateful huzzahs instead of carping that the company hadn't quite lived up to its documented promises. Somebody at Tesla clearly took Psychology 101.

Larry

There are now four CHAdeMO chargers in Orlando. Two at Nissan dealers but two new public ones, one of which is free.
If Tesla ever delivers the adapter they will be an option.

Hi James,

According to forum members on a waiting list who have contacted Tesla to find out the status of the CHAdeMO adapter, Tesla has slipped the originial estimated release date of March to May/June.

Larry

This one is to be operational soon (13 cents/kw):

Orlando Utilities Commission
Orlando Utilities Commission - Electric Car (EV) Charging Station - PlugShare

This one operational and free:
Reliable Plaza
Reliable Plaza - Electric Car (EV) Charging Station - PlugShare

Both are at the Orlando Utilities Commission, and I would highly doubt that they would allow free charging there, unless Nissan is paying for it. They say the quickcharge is a Nissan branded charger so maybe that's the case. But there is no free lunch with OUC.