Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger in Weaverville, NC? According to PlugShare, yes!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Blurry_Eyed

MS Sig #267, MX Sig # 761
Dec 29, 2011
I was browsing around the PlugShare map last night and did a filter on Tesla Supercharging stations. I was quite surprised to see that a Supercharger came up at the SteaknShake in Weaverville, NC!

I checked Tesla's website and did some searches in the internet and found nothing referencing a Supercharger in North Carolina. Anyone in that part of the U.S. want to swing by there and see if it's true?

It could just be a mispost on PlugShare but in the description, whom ever posted the charger did say: 'Complimentary EV outlets. Will charge Tesla 75% in 30 minutes.'

Maybe someone jumped the gun at SteaknShake and posted the Supercharger early? Maybe a partnership with SteankShake is part of the Supercharger announcement Elon referenced?

I'm a West coast person, so I don't quite know what population centers and travel paths a charger in Weaverville, NC would serve and if it would make sense for Tesla to put Superchargers there. Also I have no familiarity with SteaknShake and how important, or non-important a partnership with them would be. Anyone from the area want to chime in?

update - wow, I just looked at the Steak 'n Shake locations map and they are all over the place once you get past the middle part of the country towards the East coast! It would be incredible if Tesla did end up partnering with them to put Superchargers in at key locations...

Last edited:
They're not a major force up by me (PA,NY,NJ area), but I do know they have a lot of locations elsewhere. Do you have an address for the location? Could pop it into Google Maps and see what the terrain is like. Is there space for charging spots? Is it in a convenient location to interstates?

I highly doubt that is a real Supercharger location. That place is in the middle of nowhere. Not on any major route. 10 miles off the interstate, at Asheville, NC.

I would expect Asheville to have at least 2 steak and shakes and would be a MUCH better location. Even though it is more a destination, than a through point.

Asheville is ~1/2 way between Knoxville and Charlotte on I-40, but I don't think that is a highly traveled route. Not compared to I75, I85.

The address I have according to PlugShare is Hilltop Dr, Weaverville North Carolina, 28787. When I go to the Steak 'N Shake website and put in 28787 as a zipcode search the address I get for their franchise there is: 11 Betty Stroud Road, Weaverville, NC 28787. The PlugShare information says it also has a Roadster charger as well, so it may just be a local franchise who is really supportive of Tesla, but having a Supercharger station there could be a trial location for Steak 'N' Shake if it turns out to be true.

Here is the mystery charger on plugshare. Looks to be in a big box parking lot, right off the highway. Not sure it is legit, but there would be room at this location.

SC-SC.JPG

I was just in Asheville 2 weeks ago. Would have checked it out for you guys. Sorry!

It does seem a little far off the interstate. While Asheville is definitely a destination in and of itself, I've driven through it several times on my way to Nashville. Wouldn't mind a Supercharger there. Really good food.

People searching for a CHAdeMO station in my area using Plugshare used to find my house. It wasn't even an option when I created my entry; and was not marked anywhere in my settings, so I have no idea how/why it happened. But I asked Plugshare to fix it, and they did.

Weaverville makes no sense for a Supercharger location, at least for now. If Tesla announces one there I'd conclude they'd gone mad. It's in the Asheville area, hardly a center of Tesla sales, now or in the foreseeable future. The I-95 corridor makes much more sense and Weaverville is nowhere near it.

Heck, I find that half the Level II stations on PlugShare aren't real. They're either "planning to install one next year" (vaporware!), or "only for use by employees", or "only for cars bought at this dealership", etc.
Hi Doug, Those - Dealers like that need an Accounting Lesson - Maybe We should get some Accountants to analyse what 'Good Will' does for a business' bottom Line - the kind where - they let you charge your off brand and other dealerships cars there - and be nice, and you tell everyone how great they are and they end up getting new customers!

About that Charger listing on PlugShare - it lists 'SuperCharger, Model S, Roadster, EV Plug' and I just came across it now - trying to get caught up on my Blog Posts - My PlugShare Blog. Robert

I can't verify this info anywhere - and this includes photos of the parking lot from Foursquare since it has opened, so I edited the Plugshare entries, marking them as wall outlets 120v and that they are probably fake.

Now, it's possible that the Superchargers have not been announced yet, but are planned, and a local employee/contractor jumped the gun here. However, it's pretty bad form to put up a charging location on a map that doesn't exist, planned or not. I'll consider this closed until we hear official word from Tesla.

If anyone wants to get email notifications of new Supercharger locations, I set up a ChangeDetection monitor here:

https://www.changedetection.com/log/teslamotors/supercharger_log.html

This is probably accurate, pull up the map of the SC sites for 2014 and there is a dot in the Asheville area. Disagree with others, this is a huge tourist destination regionally and a very green and accepting community, totally could see a SC here. Tesla is placing more SC then they are showing. A new dot just showed up in my home state of WV, never even had a 2015 planned dot and now it says coming soon in Wheeling, WV. Think there may be a stealth roll out with willing partners. Stake and Shake is right by the Ohio SC I use in Macedonia.