Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Winthrop, WA (speculation)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are thoughts about a supercharger in Winthrop, on the North Cascades Highway (NC Loop)? It's about 130 miles from the Burlington SC with a long pull up and over the mountains. About 115 miles to the Leavenworth SC. Would it make you more likely to do the drive or visit the Methow Valley? Tesla has one marked for Chelan but it seems to be stalled and would only be 55 miles from Leavenworth.

Reactions: ijoe13
Winthrop is a bit single purpose - it's off the main route to Canada. I am thinking Pateros or Okanogan is a better option. Junction of two routes, gets enough to get over the mountains, even in an SR I wager (though quite close there, charge to 100), not quite optimal from Leavenworth. Pateros is just about perfect from Osoyoos.

What are thoughts about a supercharger in Winthrop, on the North Cascades Highway (NC Loop)? It's about 130 miles from the Burlington SC with a long pull up and over the mountains. About 115 miles to the Leavenworth SC. Would it make you more likely to do the drive or visit the Methow Valley? Tesla has one marked for Chelan but it seems to be stalled and would only be 55 miles from Leavenworth.
Yes, this would be great! I’ve submitted Winthrop as a recommended Supercharger location to Tesla. I know slower chargers exist in the area, but even a smaller (~6 stall) Supercharger would be great. Any update on potential consideration by Tesla?

I'd love for something to be put into Newhalem. There are a couple of level 2 chargers, but even a 50kW Chademo station there would make the cascades loop much easier (with adapter)

As far as Tesla-specific chargers, something around Rockport would also really open up some lovely drives.

Reactions: ijoe13
I think a supercharger is totally on brand with the outdoor recreation and tourism community of Winthrop - and Tesla. I've heard weekend renters complain "we had to take our Subaru because there's no good charging in the valley".

Newhalems makes great sense to - especially given the dam and that that town is basically owned by Seattle City Light.

Okanogan has a pin on the Find Us map with a target opening date of 2023 (the pin for Chelan is gone). Considering this, it's unlikely that Winthrop will happen anytime soon. I can't think of a very good place to put a Supercharger in Winthrop aside from the visitor's center / ranger station, which doesn't have a great location for exploring the town while charging.