Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Indio, CA (LIVE, 36 V3 + 8 V2 + 2 Urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi to all
I get the TESLA emails regularly. My son also gets them in Santa Monica. With the Indio charger, LA-Phoenix will be a nice 80MPH cruise.
WOO HOO!

Agreed! I am doing this in a couple of months. So, what would be the best way of making this trip?
For example: Range charge in LA, charge for 30 min in Indio, charge again in Quartzite for ____ time and then maybe again in Buckeye? Or, should I charge up as much as I can in Indio and try to skip Quartzite? I'd hate to stop 3 times, and I'd rather not arrive with little range left, as the charging at my destination has not been secured.

Agreed! I am doing this in a couple of months. So, what would be the best way of making this trip?
For example: Range charge in LA, charge for 30 min in Indio, charge again in Quartzite for ____ time and then maybe again in Buckeye? Or, should I charge up as much as I can in Indio and try to skip Quartzite? I'd hate to stop 3 times, and I'd rather not arrive with little range left, as the charging at my destination has not been secured.

I usually plan a 100%, range charge to finish a hour or so before departure. Slow charge in the taper costs me no time at home when I am sleeping or eating breakfast, and more miles in the battery means less time at the first Supercharger. I usually do this as a 90% charge before I go to sleep and use the App to go to 100% when I wake up in the morning.

Use EV Trip Planner from origin to destination, put in realistic inputs, and have it route you through Superchargers, and give yourself whatever margin you need. Remember that 1.0 on the speed multiplier is 1.0 typical speed on the route, not the speed limit. The details tab will give you rated miles needed to the next Supercharger. I used to use 25% margin, but have grown confident enough to use 10-15% margin on EVTripPlanner, just beware of big headwinds and hard rain; they can hit usage hard. Just do your planning to arrive with as little charge as possible at each Supercharger for fast charging, but with enough charge that there is no anxiety.

Buckeye is an interesting question. It's a super easy off and on, but that one depends on what you have for charging at the destination. If I had good destination charging, I would consider a plan to skip Buckeye on the way to Phoenix. If I had poor or no destination charging, Buckeye would be a must stop.

Enjoy!

I have not seen a picture of someone charging their MS there yet.

Come on; where are the pictures...

I took the northern route from N Scottsdale to San Diego via Quartzsite and Indio SCs. Total travel time 7:15. Google puts this route at 431 miles and 6h 11 min. The better spacing of SCs yielded a lower overall travel time vs waiting in Yuma to get a full charge. I expect when El Centro is completed the total charging time might be reduced to <90 min and I have an A pack.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Edit: BTW, as Cottonwood says, we did fly like the wind.

I did the math in a spread sheet and it is definitely overall faster to drive fast (which uses more energy) and stop and Superchargers instead of going slow and skipping a Supercharger. Of course the speed limit and safety is your limit in terms of how fast you can go. If you can go at the speed you want and can skip a SC, then do it. If you have to go slower to skip, you are loosing time overall. Especially with the unpredictable strong winds in that area and the high speed limit on the freeway I would plan to do the stop at Indio, Quarzsite and Buckeye. From LA to Quartzsite is a lot of uphill and windy. I had to go very slow to make it. So Indio is definitely a stop. Quartzsite to Buckeye is 100 miles but I always used about 150 rated miles because of AC and winds. So you would have to do a lengthy 90-100% charge in Quartzsite to make it to Phoenix and arrive pretty low. Just charging to 160 miles in Quartzsite is quick and get's you to Buckeye at top speed, then charge there for 20-30 min and you will have plenty to go. Doing a 90-100% charge at Quartzsite (and skipping Buckeye) would take longer and you end up with a lower state of charge in Phoenix.

I did the math in a spread sheet and it is definitely overall faster to drive fast (which uses more energy) and stop and Superchargers instead of going slow and skipping a Supercharger.
My own spreadsheet doesn't model it, because I'm not that particular but there's another aspect to include if you want to be more accurate: Include the taper in your charge time estimations.

Visiting more superchargers means you can "live" in the lower half of the battery more often, which means your charging sessions are less impacted by tapering. That can make a significant difference on overall charging time.

I did the math in a spread sheet and it is definitely overall faster to drive fast (which uses more energy) and stop and Superchargers instead of going slow and skipping a Supercharger. Of course the speed limit and safety is your limit in terms of how fast you can go. If you can go at the speed you want and can skip a SC, then do it. If you have to go slower to skip, you are loosing time overall. Especially with the unpredictable strong winds in that area and the high speed limit on the freeway I would plan to do the stop at Indio, Quarzsite and Buckeye. From LA to Quartzsite is a lot of uphill and windy. I had to go very slow to make it. So Indio is definitely a stop. Quartzsite to Buckeye is 100 miles but I always used about 150 rated miles because of AC and winds. So you would have to do a lengthy 90-100% charge in Quartzsite to make it to Phoenix and arrive pretty low. Just charging to 160 miles in Quartzsite is quick and get's you to Buckeye at top speed, then charge there for 20-30 min and you will have plenty to go. Doing a 90-100% charge at Quartzsite (and skipping Buckeye) would take longer and you end up with a lower state of charge in Phoenix.
This is exactly the advise I was looking for. Thanks.

Visiting more superchargers means you can "live" in the lower half of the battery more often, which means your charging sessions are less impacted by tapering. That can make a significant difference on overall charging time.

Absolutely. I have done that on my +4k mile road trip. Always only charged to what I needed (plus some safety buffer) and then arrived at a low state of charge. It helped a lot cutting down wait time at the Superchargers.