Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Inyokern, CA (4 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car is already down to 280 miles at 100%. It certainly could be done but I'd have to supercharge to near 100%, drive slower, and hope the weather cooperates. Still, I might save time over the 30 minutes I spent waiting in line at Inyokern at 11pm last year!

Yeah if you charge to 90% in San Bernardino you're likely to be able to eke out about 180 miles at 320Wh/mi on that segment, on a good day. 192 miles is totally out of reach. It's very rare to be able to travel more than 190-200 miles between charges on a road trip even with a good battery.

Haven't seen anything but it's definitely going to be a problem this season. The burger place isn't bad. I'm hoping for a charger at Kramer Junction or Hesperia, then I could skip Inyokern and not have to stop at the urban charger in San Bernardino.
Yes! Kramer Junction would make life so much better. Hesperia or Victorville would be good too, those would get slammed by the Vegas traffic but the more the merrier so I'd be good with Hesperia. Lots of land by that Pilot at the 15/395 junction, would be a good place to serve lots of So Cal routes and help free up Inyokern.

Reactions: ybbor and JeffnReno
New EV charging system going in at the Inyokern airport. Anybody know what type it is? I don’t see it on supercharge.info or the electrify america site.
EV Connect received a grant to install a single DCFC (CCS + CHAdeMO) plus a J1772 station at the Inyokern Airport (1669 Airport Road Inyokern, CA 93527) I don't know if this is what you saw.

ChargePoint also received a grant to install a DCFC plus a J1772 on Hwy 14 near Armistead (49901 Highway 14 Inyokern, CA 93527)

Here's a map of the CEC Grant sites: CEC DC Fast Charge Sites - Google My Maps

Friday August 21

Friendly advice due to closure of Lone Pine SC the line is 10 deep at Inyokern.

Sounds convenient. Gonna have to make sure I get there before 7AM in a couple days. What on earth is Tesla doing?

Multiple years into this, they should have capacity on this route to meet peak demand at Inyokern and Lone Pine at all times, whether the power is on in California or not.

It’s really shameful that I even have to think about this when making a trip.

Reactions: JeffnReno
My guess is that they will close and dismantle this station. It probably is not worth the maintenance.
This would surprise me. Is there precedent for them doing this at other locations? I'm not sure if the Lone Pine upgrade is similar or not since they completely revamped that station. This looks like a second co-located station, like the Mt. Shasta pair.

This would surprise me. Is there precedent for them doing this at other locations? I'm not sure if the Lone Pine upgrade is similar or not since they completely revamped that station. This looks like a second co-located station, like the Mt. Shasta pair.
No one knows. It is simply my guess. Lone Pine closed and removed the original 4 stalls (and removed the temp ones) when the V3 stalls opened. In this case, they are old, run-down, V2 stalls, and only 4 of them to boot. My guess is that they would require more maintenance than they are worth. I hope I am wrong though.

Reactions: JeffnReno
Does bring to mind what the expected "lifetime" of a Supercharger might be. Most of the original sites from 2012-2013 seem to have been expanded or upgraded. Maybe Barstow still have some original equipment - I haven't been there in a very long time. I may miss my chance with the "original" Inyokern!
Some of the more heavily used V2 sites are known to have some performance/degradation issues. Rancho Cucamonga being one of the worst, to the point of becoming unusable.

Does bring to mind what the expected "lifetime" of a Supercharger might be. Most of the original sites from 2012-2013 seem to have been expanded or upgraded. Maybe Barstow still have some original equipment - I haven't been there in a very long time. I may miss my chance with the "original" Inyokern!

That convenience store hosting the Supercharger in back is quite the interesting business. Poster child for small town Mom and Pop store. Worth checking out for the novelty. Tough way to make a living though I would think. Good selection of "road snacks" which I always try to grab to support the business.

RT

That convenience store hosting the Supercharger in back is quite the interesting business. Poster child for small town Mom and Pop store. Worth checking out for the novelty. Tough way to make a living though I would think. Good selection of "road snacks" which I always try to grab to support the business.

RT
I love that place. Always top up my coffee and grab a snack when I'm there.