Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Inyokern, CA (4 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My guess is that Newport came from Newport, and probably took an ICE, unless he went to Barstow first. IMHO, that is a lot of driving for really horrible conditions. I have a $200 credit that expires the end of March, and don't know if I am going to make it. I have a trip planned in 3 weeks, but will cancel unless there are several dumps between now and then.

I did come from Newport. :)

Just as a full disclosure, some of this data is from memory or blurry camera phone pictures. I started with an 87% charge in Newport with a P85D. I had range extend turned on and insane off the whole time. Drove to Barstow and had 32% left when I arrived. I think it was only about 30 miles out of the way. I ate with the kids at IHOP (only the best for them). Left with about an 85-90% charge then headed to Lone Pine. We stopped in Inyokern to check if that was active yet. Then we charged in Lone Pine while we went in the Film Museum. It was $10 for me and the three kids and was interesting. As far as Museums on 395 I would highly recommend Manzanar. I ended up with 87 RMs when I arrived in Mammoth. I normally had the cc set between 70-75.

Skiing is not great however I like spring conditions. But I normally like them in spring/summer ... and with less dirt showing. But the good news is there was no worrying about the fact that I had pilots on the car.

I am largely up here because I am meeting with my contractor for our condo remodel. I did have them spec out a nema 15-50 in the garage. That's not in yet but the 30 amp dryer plug still works so I am using that and a long extension cord to charge.

I believe on the way home I could get away with just charging in Inyokern. But I am realizing we might leverage more stops to get better/different amenities.

Newport - Thank you for the detailed report. I am so glad to hear that we can start taking the Tesla to Mammoth now. I was concerned that with the huge elevation gain, the Lone Pine to Mammoth portion would be a stretch. I am curious, do you happen to recall how much remaining battery the range predictor in the Tesla said you would have at your destination in Mammoth when you pulled out of Lone Pine? Sounds like you ended up with about 35% or so remaining.

Newport,
Agreed and thank you.
Silenus, According to EVPlanner, the trip from Lone Pine to Mammoth is easy. 150 RM if you are pushing it at 75. It's the trip back that is the problem. You cannot get from Lone Pine to Mammoth and back without somewhat of a charge in Mammoth. Even a small amount will do, though this would be more if cold out.

As I mentioned on other threads, there are not many places in Mammoth to charge. The Westin has HPWC's, as long as you eat or stay there. The place I usually stay at has only street parking and no access whatsoever to an outlet. I was thinking that I could go to the Westin for breakfast, charge until lunchtime, then I am good to go for the trip down the hill. Once Bishop is up (per the coming soon map), this will be an easy trip.

Newport, I am heading to Newport tomorrow. See you there!

Thanks for answering so quickly, I live in San Clemente amd also have a house up there, and spring skiing is awesome!! Guaranteed good runs every time. Would love to hear what your charges looked like in more detail. I work in la Friday and I think I'm gonna pass trying to make it in my p85 until inyokern is open, just not worth the risk. I'm so stoked to finally be able to take my tesla up there, I like it so much more than any other car I've driven... Thanks again Newport,

I didn't really look at the remaining percentage on arrival but I never had any range anxiety from LP to Mammoth. The trip projection was incredibly accurate. For instance it had a steep slope on usage for the Sherwin grade. I over performed against the projected curve, but not by a lot. I was taking it easy the whole way at 70-75. Maybe beat the projection by a couple of percentage points on arrival.

4super9 - You are welcome to use my 15-50 amp when it's hooked up. But I am not making you breakfast :) Say hi to Newport as I'm in Mammoth until Saturday.

If there is interest I will post more detail on the return trip (RM, percentages, speed, charging, etc)

Newport, if you let me charge up on your 15-30, not only do you need not make me breakfast, I will buy you dinner!
Yes, there is interest in your numbers. Please let us know the RM, and any other details, back to Lone Pine. I definitely want to see how much charge I should have before leaving Mammoth. I am guessing you will use about 75 RM.

Newport,

I'm traveling to WA from So CA in mid-March. I'd prefer going up 395 to Reno, as we have friends there.

I have no concerns about making it from LP to Mammoth, but from LP to Reno is at the extreme edge of doable according to EV TripPlanner.
Although Mammoth seems to be on the coming soon list, I can't believe it would be ready within a month.

What is available in Mammoth for NEMA 14-50 charging with daytime use? That is, not requiring an overnight at a motel/hotel? A couple of hours would give me the needed buffer to get to Reno.

Thanks.

Dave

4super9 - Just PM me when you you are thinking about going. If I am not here I will have the garage left open for you. Should have the 14-50 hooked up in the next week so you can use that. Otherwise the 30 amp needs a $45 dollar adapter for the pre 1997 dryer outlets. The only two issues right now are the garage might still be full of stacked drywall so you would have to saddle up to the garage to get the normal cord to reach. Second issue is the place is pretty high on the mountain so if it's snowing (which like you I am praying for a bunch of good dumps) it's more difficult to get to then places in town. That is one of the major reasons I bought the D ... at least that's what I tell myself.

Dave - Same goes for you if you want to use my plug. Otherwise the Westin has some kind of HPWCs. I haven't researched past that since I have home charging up here.

I will report back Saturday or Sunday regarding the trip down.

Dave,
I believe the coming soon page is Lee Vining, not Mammoth, which is even better for you.
There is an RV park in Mammoth with 50 amp and 30 amp charging, though the 50's are closed in the winter. Again, there are several HPWC's at the Westin in Mammoth. They do require a stay or, I think, restaurant visit.

Dave,
I believe the coming soon page is Lee Vining, not Mammoth, which is even better for you.
There is an RV park in Mammoth with 50 amp and 30 amp charging, though the 50's are closed in the winter. Again, there are several HPWC's at the Westin in Mammoth. They do require a stay or, I think, restaurant visit.

Thanks Newport. I hadn't heard about Lee Vining, but that would be ideal. I could arrive at Reno with about 100 miles left. Enough to drive around Reno and charge at 110V overnight to still have plenty to make it to Truckee. Last year I made it directly to Mount Shasta from Reno. But that was in mid-April and the battery pack had 20,000 fewer miles on it.
I doubt Lee Vining will be open in time, but I understand Bishop has RV parks with 14-50s open year round. I'll just have to drive a little slower and do some Level 2 charging in Reno.

We started at our place in Mammoth with 234 RM and at 93%. We drove down to the Stove Restaurant and in those 3 miles we actually gained 3 miles and I was up to 237 RM. We then headed to Lone Pine. Cruise control was at 70-75 and the climate control was on as were a few of the seat heaters. I had insane off and range mode on the whole trip. It’s interesting to note that while descending down most of the grade we were limited on regen because the battery was fairly full. We arrived in Lone Pine with 149 RM which was a total of 104 actual miles from start. Battery percentage was at 55%, Total kWh expended was 25.9 and we averaged 249 Wh/m. So if I do the math correctly it was 85 RM to Lone Pine from my place in Mammoth. Then we drove to Barstow, but according to the trip meter I could have made it to Rancho Cucamonga. When we left Lone Pine we had a charge of about 240 RM and in the mid 90% of charge. Then we drove to Inyokern and the chargers were still off. When we arrived in Barstow we had 17% left and had 54 RM. My driving didn't maximize range on this portion. Lone Pine to Barstow was 154 miles for me. The Barstow to OC trip is well documented so I will spare you those details.

I think Inyokern could easily be a single charge to the OC but you would need to figure out what you are going to do there for that length of time while charging. I didn't explore at all while I was there.

Newport,

I'm traveling to WA from So CA in mid-March. I'd prefer going up 395 to Reno, as we have friends there.

I have no concerns about making it from LP to Mammoth, but from LP to Reno is at the extreme edge of doable according to EV TripPlanner.
Although Mammoth seems to be on the coming soon list, I can't believe it would be ready within a month.

What is available in Mammoth for NEMA 14-50 charging with daytime use? That is, not requiring an overnight at a motel/hotel? A couple of hours would give me the needed buffer to get to Reno.

Thanks.

Dave
I drove my S85 down 395 last summer with no Supercharging until Barstow. Glad to hear you are willing to rough it from Lone Pine to Reno. If the Westin HPWC at Mammoth is not in your plans, a few other suggestions

Garnerville, 48 mi south of Reno, has the first level-2 J-plug north of Hesperia. See Eddy St charging post on Plugshare. Chargepoint, reliable, food options within walking distance. However, EVtriplanner rates Lone Pine to Garnerville at 238 RM, which would be too tight for me by itself.

The Allstays Camp & RV App has a 50 A filter under amenities that will show you all the RV parks that have 50A 14-50 outlets. It shows RV parks in both Lee Vining (Mono Lake) and Bridgeport. Most likely either could accommodate you in March, but they were both completely full last July.

I stayed overnight at Meadowcliff Lodge, north of Bridgeport, which has RV charging right next to the rooms.

Update 02-28-15

No power to the site yet, top of parking blocks appear
to have been ground down. Orange cones are currently
placed in front of each stall. Not much has changed, will
keep an eye out.

Last edited:
Yes thanks for the updates! I can't wait to start taking my model s up from Orange County to the entire eastern Sierra.... Inyokern is the key for me, until Mohave is ready anyway. I can't get myself to drive all the way to Barstow then back up, so thanks again for the updates, can't wait.