Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Inyokern, CA (4 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update 01/15/2015

Some equipment has arrived, great progress from the hard working crew!

IMG_1742.JPG

Thanks for the pics.
Can't wait.

In the meantime, I still cannot find any info on Bishop. Now that LP and Inyokern are coming up, Bishop to me would be even more helpful than Mojave. Mojave is still required for a 60, and will get me to LP without the extra 5 miles (big whoop) to Inokern.
Getting a full charge at Lone Pine does not guarantee me a return trip back without charging in Mammoth, which for me is the real goal.
The round trip can use about 230 to 245 RM. Given cold temps there, I wouldn't risk it.
Bishop, OTOH, is 109 RM round trip, or
Bishop to Mammoth to Lone Pine is 173 RM

Curious about those large rebar cages in pictures. In my experience, those would be the skeletons of large concrete columns.
I don't recall seeing large concrete columns at any SC sites.
Supports for super heavy duty solar array to withstand desert winds ?

Last edited:
Great find and corollary to Barstow, miimura.

The Piers/Footings will anchor the structure for the canopy and associated solar panels (negating wind forces).
The rebar cages will hold the concrete together, the large bolts (with embedded hook ends) anchor the steel column base plate to the concrete pier.

Update 01/31/2015

A substantial amount of progress has been made over the last week. Equipment is in place, utility trench backfilled, ready for more concrete.

Utility/power company has been out at the property hopefully making preparations ahead of schedule. Here's some updated pictures enjoy!

IMG_2002.JPG

IMG_2015.JPG

IMG_2011.JPG

Last edited:
It looks like the square wooden boxes are in the way of backing into the charging stalls, so I don't think the canopy foundations would be there. It appears from the photos that the rebar cages have been moved, so perhaps that are not going to build the solar canopy right away. What do you think?

Rebar cages have been moved but are still on site, not much left in the way of building materials.

Hard to tell from the photos, but there is probably a 4" to 6" drop from the top of the concrete to the top of the rust colored earth/dirt.

It looks like most of the soil has been replaced and compacted around the bases of the charging stanchions, and for all the electrical conduit runs.

If the two new piers are located close to where the square wood forms are, they will then probably be hand-dug for a bit (to ensure no conduit runs are damaged), and then a drilling rig will come to finish boring the piers.
The frame at the left has a stake in the middle of it, so that might be the desired location of the pier.
The rebar cages will be lowered into the holes and the concrete will be placed almost immediately to prevent earth sliding in from the walls of the newly dug piers.
Top caps on the piers may be either circular or square.
Circular shape would be formed inside of a sonotube.The three or four conduit stub-up on the left next to the raised concrete platform (with electrical equipment) will probably feed up to the PV/solar panels on the roof of the canopy.

Another Option might be that the piers will be dug right next to the existing building at the rear of this area.
If so, the piers may be located very close to the front edge of the existing paving, or possibly even removing additional paving and drilling through undisturbed soil to get best results.
In that case, the electrical stub-ups might be reworked/relocated to coordinate with the pier cap and column location.

After the pier caps are poured and set, there will probably be some sort of additional rebar grid laid out and tie-wired together which will be embedded into and re-inforce the new paving area.
There is a site drain half-in/half-out of the existing paving: the Contractor will need to ensure that the new concrete is tapered with proper slope for good drainage.

Lastly: in the middle picture I do notice a third wood frame on the far left.
I wonder if there will only be two piers or possibly three?
Previous photos indicated only two rebar cages, but stuff happens.
If so, the extra canopy area could shade the Electrical equipment (keeping it cooler), and the extra roof area could have substantially more PV panels installed to generate electrical power.

Agree with all your points, PW. Double wide solar array would be awesome.
Maybe a heavy duty structure like Barstow, but tilted down from stanchions towards south.
(Store owners would probably see major savings on AC with entire southern exposure shaded by large array)
Jumbo array pumping juice into the grid day after day in the midweek when hardly anyone is charging could make InyoKern first cash positive SC for tesla.