Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Inyokern, CA (4 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
& an issue: The top of the curbs have been shaved off so they aren't as high, but they are still too tall and hit the underside of the car. The car is just barely close enough to plug the cable in. So raise your suspension before backing in, and remember to raise it again if needed before pulling forward.
20150321_094926.jpg

& an issue: The top of the curbs have been shaved off so they aren't as high, but they are still too tall and hit the underside of the car. The car is just barely close enough to plug the cable in. So raise your suspension before backing in, and remember to raise it again if needed before pulling forward.
View attachment 75444
This should be reported directly to Tesla again, as was done upthread on page 8. This is ridiculous. Edit: Maybe they expect the new software update to automatically raise the height when in proximity to the SC, but that doesn't help people without air suspensions. Really, how difficult is it to load a car up to GVWR, measure its height and allow a bit for individual variation/service tolerance? Did they not measure a fully loaded car when determining how much to grind off?

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics of the rebar! It's pretty certain those are for a solar canopy.

Rebar cages are probably for PIERS for rebar canopy.
Canopy structures tend to be steel, which are then bolted to the tops of piers.

Fear not, the Titanium under plate will grind those pesky concrete slabs down in a few days. I've seen video of it...

RT
The titanium plate is installed at the front/lead edge of the battery pack.
Cars are backed into their parking space in order to gain access to the Supercharger.
Those rear vertical fins are fairly vulnerable to damage: I would raise your suspension if you have the air suspension Option.
Or park at the bay with the least amount of incidence between the concrete and the bottom of your car.

Moderators might want to merge this with the existing Inyokern thread.

I used the charger on Sunday from Mammoth. It was my only stop from Mammoth to Newport. We passed the charge time in the Five Fingers pub with a beverage and a few games of pool. As a side note the bathrooms were really nice there. Arrived in Newport with 40 RM.

In a couple of weeks I am going to try to make it up to Mammoth with Inyokern as the only charge point.

In a couple of weeks I am going to try to make it up to Mammoth with Inyokern as the only charge point.
That seems totally doable. You would certainly need a pretty full charge to make it up the hill, especially if you want a buffer. OTOH, if you are trying to save time, it may be faster to not charge all the way at Inyokern, and just grab some extra miles at Lone Pine.

Planning on a Death Valley trip in spring sometime. Do you know how reliable/ EV friendly those few 14-50s are in the park?
We just returned from several days at Death Valley, where we tented at Furnace Creek Campground (NPS). We were able to get an electric site (with a 14-50) for one of our nights, which worked great. However, we needed some additional charging because Death Valley is quite large and we did a number of drives. Thankfully, a group of people with a rented RV and a Tesla Model 3 reservation were kind enough to let us "borrow" the 14-50 at their site, adjacent to ours, for a few hours. Also, early on the morning of our departure, we and another Tesla owner (and fellow tent camper) topped off at a vacant RV site that apparently had a no-show.

We were also told that the Furnace Creek Ranch only charges $5 for EV charging, though we never attempted that and PlugShare seems to indicate that they charge much more for non-guests. Another option, had we not been able to get additional charge in the Valley, could have been to make a side trip to the Beatty, NV Supercharger, though we weren't so keen on spending extra time doing that.

All of the hikes we did were quite enjoyable, as Death Valley has a number of beautiful, interesting, narrow canyons. Mosaic Canyon, accessible via a two mile dirt road out of Stovepipe Wells, was probably our favorite. In many places, the canyon walls are actually composed of marble, which in places has been polished by water!

To reach Death Valley and to return home, we needed only the Inyokern Supercharger. Rather than following the nav system, however, we took a shortcut to the east and then north, through Trona, which also happens to use less charge. While Ridgecrest, Trona, and their immediate environs aren't so scenic, the drive through the desert north of Trona was pretty, with great views of the Panamint Mountains to the immediate east.

I would note, by the way, that Inyokern has a city park with a playground and picnic tables just a couple of short blocks southwest of the Supercharger, right behind a senior center. For families with children that may need/want a full charge, this may be a nice option. Our family certainly appreciated being able to run around and burn off steam! One word of caution, though, is that we found the park bathrooms to be poorly maintained, with missing toilet seats, etc.

Last edited:
At the inyokern charger now. One Supercharger appears to be broken...nothing happens when I plug in the MS....the other 3 cap out at 64kW 254 miles/hr. Off to Lone Pine...hopefully faster speeds.
You should call and report to Tesla Roadside Assistance. The phone number is on the supercharger stalls and you should save it in your phone anyway in case of emergency.

Also, what was your strength of charge when you plugged in?