Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Inyokern, CA (4 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can definitely make it further driving slowly on a 100% charge than driving slowly on an 80% charge. Not everyone is making the same trip up 395 that you are. Your idea is simply a bad one.
If someone can propose a better idea I'd like to hear it. You can go further on 100% but the time you waste charging probably won't be worth it. I'd be curious to see a realistic scenario. Maybe they can install a couple destination chargers at the congested superchargers for people who want to charge from 80%-100%.

Next time I'm definitely going to consider taking my 17mpg rig if the situation on the 395 doesn't improve.

Wondering how this location is doing during the earthquakes nearby. I met a fellow Model 3 owner from Ridgecrest (location of the huge earthquakes in southern Calif) up in Gilroy a number of months ago and remember her telling me she would charge here. Spoke with her yesterday after the 6s hit but before the 7.1 and know a lot of people in Ridgecrest had lost power by that time. Could see this supercharger location being a lifeline for many in this area at this time.

Reactions: JeffnReno
I'm not sure how many Tesla owners there are in the Ridgecrest area, but just to be safe, I'd encourage non-locals to avoid using the Inyokern supercharger if at all possible. It's only 4 stalls.
According to Nav screen, Inyokern is open today, although one can't be certain about the accuracy of such status reports.

As to non-locals, I would not want to drive in that area until road damage had been repaired.

According to Nav screen, Inyokern is open today, although one can't be certain about the accuracy of such status reports.

As to non-locals, I would not want to drive in that area until road damage had been repaired.

We’re driving back from Mammoth thus morning. Inyokern is a mandatory stop. Are there issues along 395 that we should be aware of? Is the road to the Supercharger damaged or something?

It's probably not a big deal, but I take issue with the phrase "Inyokern is a mandatory stop." What are you driving and how is it "mandatory?"

Actual data from our past trips in our LR RWD has us pegged at about 60kWh to go from Lone Pine to our home in SoCal. We have an SR+ with us this time. Too close for comfort.

EDIT: I will concede that we could stop at Victoria Gardens if necessary, but that wasn’t the plan.

Actual data from our past trips in our LR RWD has us pegged at about 60kWh to go from Lone Pine to our home in SoCal. We have an SR+ with us this time. Too close for comfort.

EDIT: I will concede that we could stop at Victoria Gardens if necessary, but that wasn’t the plan.
I would check the charger map. I had an experience where it said 3 of the 4 were full and of course that meant that one was broken and there was a 30 minute line. I would charge enough at Lone Pine to skip it if it looks like there's a line.

We’re driving back from Mammoth thus morning. Inyokern is a mandatory stop. Are there issues along 395 that we should be aware of? Is the road to the Supercharger damaged or something?
Unknown whether there may be road damage, but after a 7.1 magnitude quake, there could be road damage or damage to the adjacent market building or reduced electrical power availability.

I have been watching the readings for the earthquakes ( http://scedc.caltech.edu/recent/ ) and while Inyokern is mentioned a number of times the magnitudes have been below 3 so kind of doubt there would be damage in the area. I have heard on the news that there was some power out in Ridgecrest, the China Lake Station was evacuated and they started evaluating the base area for damage, and that last night anyway they had closed 178 toward the town of Trona due to rocks on the highway and pavement issues. You can go to Google Maps and look up Ridgecrest and go to Traffic filter and see what it shows. Really don't where to find any good info on the roads out there though. The news did show video of road pavement broken and ruptured on the way to Trona and a news reporter was commenting on how they had to turn around going from Ridgecrest to Trona as it had been shut down by officials and were concerned how supplies were going to get into the town where there were homes damaged and some collapsed.

• Informative
Reactions: remlemasi
Any info on inyokern being updated to V3? It's my primary stop on the way to the lone pine one, would be great to spend less time next to that awful convenience store.
Haven't seen anything but it's definitely going to be a problem this season. The burger place isn't bad. I'm hoping for a charger at Kramer Junction or Hesperia, then I could skip Inyokern and not have to stop at the urban charger in San Bernardino.

Haven't seen anything but it's definitely going to be a problem this season. The burger place isn't bad. I'm hoping for a charger at Kramer Junction or Hesperia, then I could skip Inyokern and not have to stop at the urban charger in San Bernardino.

Exactly, the ideal San Diego -> Mammoth trip would stop in Kramer, not inyokern and then lone pine / future bishop.

Last time I shot all the way for inyokern and skipped bernadino I had to drive quite slow and also no heat. Made it with <3%

On my drive from socal to Mammoth I only had to stop at Lone Pine on the way to Mammoth, and only once at Mojave on the way back. Inyorken is definitely not mandatory for most Tesla drivers. It's off the highway and small. I do need to visit to increase my SCer count though...

On my drive from socal to Mammoth I only had to stop at Lone Pine on the way to Mammoth, and only once at Mojave on the way back. Inyorken is definitely not mandatory for most Tesla drivers. It's off the highway and small. I do need to visit to increase my SCer count though...
It’s pretty much mandatory for people coming up the 15 from San Diego or the inland empire. Closest supercharger on route for me is San Bernardino which is 192 miles from Lone Pine and uphill. Could do it if I charged to 100% I suppose.