Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Iowa, LA - Lowe-Grout Rd

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For clarity, this is a new SuC across the street from the current one in Iowa that just opened a little while ago.

Tesla has a "Coming Soon" pin for a new SuC in Iowa as well, which in theory would be this one.

I certainly would not expect Tesla to get rid of the first SuC in Iowa they just opened a few months ago. This is likely to add depth to the network as I remember this was hellish area when it was just the 6 stall 150kW Lake Charles location. This is also a small town in the South, so I imagine a SuC generated a lot of interest and questions, so maybe the owner across the street was like "Hey Tesla put one at my gas station too!"

1668174878167.png

For clarity, this is a new SuC across the street from the current one in Iowa that just opened a little while ago.

Tesla has a "Coming Soon" pin for a new SuC in Iowa as well, which in theory would be this one.

I certainly would not expect Tesla to get rid of the first SuC in Iowa they just opened a few months ago. This is likely to add depth to the network as I remember this was hellish area when it was just the 6 stall 150kW Lake Charles location. This is also a small town in the South, so I imagine a SuC generated a lot of interest and questions, so maybe the owner across the street was like "Hey Tesla put one at my gas station too!"

View attachment 873505

This would be the 5th or 6th Pilot Flying J with a Supercharger. (Pilot and Flying J are the same company).
Cisco, TX
Pecos, TX
New Boston, TX (Permit)
Ehrenberg, AZ
Fort Stockton, TX

They have up to 765 locations, so any kind of deal would be a good thing for the network.

For example if they could get Superchargers at the Flying J in Edmond, OK that would be great for coverage. But so far all of the locations have been further south than that.

This would be the 5th or 6th Pilot Flying J with a Supercharger. (Pilot and Flying J are the same company).
Not only that, but Pilot/Flying J has partnered with EVgo and GM to build out GM's Ultium charging network. This makes me wonder if the permit is really for EVgo but somehow got confused and was listed as a Tesla supercharger. It's very peculiar that Tesla would build another supercharger so close to an existing one, and a new one at that.

• Informative
Reactions: ItsNotAboutTheMoney
Not only that, but Pilot/Flying J has partnered with EVgo and GM to build out GM's Ultium charging network. This makes me wonder if the permit is really for EVgo but somehow got confused and was listed as a Tesla supercharger. It's very peculiar that Tesla would build another supercharger so close to an existing one, and a new one at that.

Well, it says TASLA. Maybe it's another company with a similar name. :p

The current location has no amenities. They might simply have wanted to relieve Lake Charles, LA enough that they just got the first one (with only 8 stalls) done and then they were able to get the agreement completed with Pilot Flying J. It's not the first Pilot or Flying J for Tesla.

Reactions: jsight
Along a 27 mile section, between Sulfur, La and the most eastern Iowa, La site, there are 44! 250 kW chargers either permitted, under construction or open. As much as the area needed additional capacity (someone referenced Lake Charles as hellish - perfect description), I don’t see any good reason to need this many stalls for cars.

Tesla Semi trucks on the other hand….

Could some of these sites be future Megacharger locations for a Semi route along I10? I don’t see any other I10 development like this, so maybe I’m way off base. All these chargers in one short stretch seems really odd.

Reactions: Raisin45567
Along a 27 mile section, between Sulfur, La and the most eastern Iowa, La site, there are 44! 250 kW chargers either permitted, under construction or open. As much as the area needed additional capacity (someone referenced Lake Charles as hellish - perfect description), I don’t see any good reason to need this many stalls for cars.

Tesla Semi trucks on the other hand….

Could some of these sites be future Megacharger locations for a Semi route along I10? I don’t see any other I10 development like this, so maybe I’m way off base. All these chargers in one short stretch seems really odd.
Yeah, there was that one viral video of Teslas wrapped around the parking lot at the Lake Charles supercharger. At that time Lake Charles was the only supercharger between Lafayette, LA and Channelview, TX. 5 Supercharger locations in SW Louisiana is overkill especially considering New Orleans still doesn’t have any.

Reactions: Raisin45567
I drove in here this afternoon to check out the site. Also the Love’s across the street.

No sign of Supercharger related activity. I too wonder if there will actually be a Supercharger built here. But wait- there’s more. This is a truck stop, on I-10, in the (somewhat) middle of the country. Tesla has now demonstrated the beginning of Tesla Semi production. I wonder if a Semi Megacharger will show up at this location.

I’m skeptical of a Supercharger site being built here but we need to keep watching.

All these Calcasieu Parish permits are getting confusing.

Lowe-grout: Marked as complete,
Original Iowa @ 800 V F Factory Outlet Dr: Opened and dismantled within 7 months. Permit still open
Henrys Travel Plaza: No permit found but built and opened quickly.
Sulphur: VOID from the beginning.

1673410447438.png

Doesn't give hope for Lowe-grout or Sulphur to be built out.

• Funny
Reactions: corywright
All these Calcasieu Parish permits are getting confusing.

Lowe-grout: Marked as complete,
Original Iowa @ 800 V F Factory Outlet Dr: Opened and dismantled within 7 months. Permit still open
Henrys Travel Plaza: No permit found but built and opened quickly.
Sulphur: VOID from the beginning.

View attachment 894420

Doesn't give hope for Lowe-grout or Sulphur to be built out.
Amongst all the choices available, Henry’s is the best location by far. It is up and running and complete. It is now my preferred stop along I-10 and I-12 in Louisiana. There are some puzzling things that have happened recently, but we shouldn’t sweat the wishes that never came true.