Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Irvine, CA - Main Street (LIVE 29 Dec 2020, 24 Urban + 16 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been watching this supercharger for the past two weeks or so (not slavishly, but daily at least) and I have never seen it showing less than 20 stalls available. Never. This confirms for me that this installation was a big mistake. The other two Superchargers in Irvine are often full; this one is hardly used, and I am pretty sure that is because of the exorbitant parking costs to access it. Unless Tesla is comfortable wasting so many supercharger stalls, I think they should be trying to work out some arrangement with the company controlling the parking. If not perhaps it can be uninstalled and moved to some location that is accessible. Left as it is, it may just as well have not been put up at all.

I have been watching this supercharger for the past two weeks or so (not slavishly, but daily at least) and I have never seen it showing less than 20 stalls available. Never. This confirms for me that this installation was a big mistake. The other two Superchargers in Irvine are often full; this one is hardly used, and I am pretty sure that is because of the exorbitant parking costs to access it. Unless Tesla is comfortable wasting so many supercharger stalls, I think they should be trying to work out some arrangement with the company controlling the parking. If not perhaps it can be uninstalled and moved to some location that is accessible. Left as it is, it may just as well have not been put up at all.
The location makes much more sense for L2 charging. The Tustin Irvine Marketplace or The District seemed like more obvious locations (although The District is a tad bit far from the freeways). I agree this location seems like a waste.

The location makes much more sense for L2 charging. The Tustin Irvine Marketplace or The District seemed like more obvious locations (although The District is a tad bit far from the freeways). I agree this location seems like a waste.

I'd say leave it up and keep it paid parking. In about 4-5 years, there will literally be millions of Teslas in California. By then, when all the other ones are full that part of Orange County, this one will be still be available. If you have to charge your car, this will be a good option.

Reactions: ord3r and Limited
I have been watching this supercharger for the past two weeks or so (not slavishly, but daily at least) and I have never seen it showing less than 20 stalls available. Never.
Since I drive past this location every day on my way to work (which is 0.5 miles away where I have L2 charging), I too see this. Though at the moment, there are currently 18 of 24 available, the most use I’ve ever seen at this place (whereas Michelson has 1 of 12 available - it's always packed - and Walnut has 0 of 8 available).

E7D115CD-AAE7-43E0-900B-8BA96B3C9006.png

Reactions: totoro722
I agree it's a bit of SuperCharger theater here but I would expect this SC to increase in usage when:

a) ... the office towers that this lot serves are back open. There will be a large number of folks with employer paid monthly parking passes back in the lot.
b) The restaurants that are served by this lot will eventually reopen.

Reactions: maximizese
Duh. People are cheap. The ones who go supercharge for free aren't going to pay for parking. Of course they're not going to be used.
The ones who are on a road trip won't pay for parking with all the other locations close by. The ones with paid supercharging won't pay for parking with all the other locations close by. This location only makes sense for corporate employees with (likely employer-paid) monthly parking passes, but for employees whose cars will sit 8 hours a day, there's no point not to just use L2 charging (and not deal with moving their cars).

Reactions: totoro722
[QUOTE="trey, post: 5302597, member: 81360"
b) The restaurants that are served by this lot will eventually reopen.[/QUOTE]

Even this is not a likely user. The eateries is this area are more of the sit down finer dining type. The charge will be complete and require a move before the first drink and appetizers have been finished.

This location has what appears to be urban superchargers (72kW) on the 1st floor, and destination chargers on the 5th floor of the garage. (See close up pic from 5th floor).
Has anyone used the 5th floor destination chargers at this location? Does it cost the same as the superchargers on the first floor? I park in this garage while at work so my parking is already paid for. I’m just curious if it’s worth it or not for me to plug in. I already have cheap home charging @ $0.09/kWh, so I’m not going to bother with this destination charger unless it’s free.

Attachments

• C760348D-1F79-488E-8BF6-5B83B935D751.jpeg
    C760348D-1F79-488E-8BF6-5B83B935D751.jpeg
    542.1 KB · Views: 70
  • 326DA5F8-6D99-4E7A-8E32-DA68D0B8AB6A.jpeg
    326DA5F8-6D99-4E7A-8E32-DA68D0B8AB6A.jpeg
    416.8 KB · Views: 80
This location has what appears to be urban superchargers (72kW) on the 1st floor, and destination chargers on the 5th floor of the garage. (See close up pic from 5th floor).
Has anyone used the 5th floor destination chargers at this location? Does it cost the same as the superchargers on the first floor? I park in this garage while at work so my parking is already paid for. I’m just curious if it’s worth it or not for me to plug in. I already have cheap home charging @ $0.09/kWh, so I’m not going to bother with this destination charger unless it’s free.
There’s no mechanism that I know of to charge you money for destination chargers without your explicit approval. Obviously other brand level 2 chargers at paid parking places may also have some kind of paywall to overcome before electricity starts flowing but in the case of Tesla branded destination chargers, you should be good to go: as long as they’re powered and your car starts charging there should be no charge to use them.

The ones who are on a road trip won't pay for parking with all the other locations close by. The ones with paid supercharging won't pay for parking with all the other locations close by. This location only makes sense for corporate employees with (likely employer-paid) monthly parking passes, but for employees whose cars will sit 8 hours a day, there's no point not to just use L2 charging (and not deal with moving their cars).
I am shocked to see today that almost half of these units are in use! Could it be that the pay to park is not in use on Sunday?

I am shocked to see today that almost half of these units are in use! Could it be that the pay to park is not in use on Sunday?
I noticed that Tesla is starting to charge peak/non-peak pricing on most Superchargers. Peak (10a-7p) is $0.40/kWh, off-peak is $0.20/kWh. The Main St. supercharger was still at off-peak all day long ($0.20), whereas the location on the other side of the 405 freeway (with free parking) is now charging peak pricing. I have to believe that off-peak pricing helps cancel out parking fees at the Main St. location.

I was visiting Irving this past weekend and stayed at the Irvine Marriott. Watched the two SC locations nearby, this one is 20+ all the time and Michelson was busy with short and medium waiting times. End up just using the free charging at the hotel at a lowly 3kW Tesla destination charger. Power was turned way down to discourage charging I think.

This installation is a poor location and the numbers back me up. Since I work less then a mile from this location, I see it's usage a LOT. I don't think I have ever seen less than 15 open spaces and the norm is 18-20+. And this often when the Michelson location (which is is ALWAYS full) is about 1.5 miles).

It is an urban charger in a paid parking lot. Not a wise move.