Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Irvine, CA - Walnut Ave. (at Jeffrey Rd., LIVE 4 Dec 2020, 8 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just snapped some photos. Looks like just waiting on a transformer. Beggars can't be choosers but as mentioned earlier, this isn't the most ideal of locations. Past the gas station toward the back of the lot closest to the freeway.

Attachments

• 20201121_012422.jpg
    20201121_012422.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 102
  • 20201121_012336.jpg
    20201121_012336.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 107
How come no one uses the East 5th St. Santa Ana supercharger location? Fountain Valley SC, Michaelson SC, and the Walnut SC arealways packed but the Santa Ana one is rarely full.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201205-105840_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20201205-105840_Tesla.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 85
How come no one uses the East 5th St. Santa Ana supercharger location? Fountain Valley SC, Michaelson SC, and the Walnut SC arealways packed but the Santa Ana one is rarely full.
It's downtown and geared to commuting workers for the county, courts, city, etc., very few of whom are working nowadays. And, to boot, there is a ton of street work going on. When the pandemic lifts, I'm sure there will be much more "traffic."

• Informative
Reactions: totoro722
Great site ..horrible lines ...was 10deep at 2pm on Sunday ...honestly not sure why Tesla would only build 8 stalls anything in OC needs a minimum 16 ;)
wow I was this close to stopping there around that time today. I chose to play it safe and ended up charging in San Clemente (at the Target) which was super easy, since I wouldn’t have quite made it to Irvine.

Great site ..horrible lines ...was 10deep at 2pm on Sunday ...honestly not sure why Tesla would only build 8 stalls anything in OC needs a minimum 16 ;)
They are going to be building another supercharger at the next exit north on the 5 that will have another 12 or 16 stalls. Plus plans for a supercharger near The District in Tustin. And a 20 stall urban supercharger in Irvine off the 405 that is mostly built already. They are adding lots of stalls in OC, not every installation has to be more than 8 stalls.

I'm sure this one will be a regularly busy site that, given the area, could have benefited from more stalls, but I don't think judging it by the line up encountered on Sunday afternoon of the first weekend it was open is a reasonable basis for what to expect.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
but I don't think judging it by the line up encountered on Sunday afternoon of the first weekend it was open is a reasonable basis for what to expect.
I have been driving Tesla’s since early 2013.. I have seen every station from SJC to fountain valley .. to Santa Ana get swarmed ;)and this was mainly Ss in the early days ..I expect this site to be full most of the time given amount of Tesla’s in OC...my comment was mainly around the number of stalls ..SJC was seven stalls when built and even having 30+ stalls down the road at San Clemente these are still packed most days ..just doesn’t make sense to only put 8 ..I know first world problems ;)

Reactions: MIT_S60
Doesn't really matter for me since I will never use superchargers near my home as I have a wall connector.

But there isn't much main stream fast food options there, unless you are fine with sit down chinese food or boba. But not most idea place to put supercharger because this shopping center is outdated / cramped. Thankfully its in the back so there isn't much incentive to ICE these stalls unless the person really can't find a spot or hates EVs.

Doesn't really matter for me since I will never use superchargers near my home as I have a wall connector.

But there isn't much main stream fast food options there, unless you are fine with sit down chinese food or boba. But this is the worst place to put a supercharger because this shopping center is really outdated / cramped. Thankfully its in the back so there isn't much incentive to ICE these stalls unless the person really can't find a spot or hates EVs.

obviously, more is (almost) always better, but this is not necessarily a Tesla issue. The Irvine Company (TIC) owns most of the land under the strip/community shopping areas in the City of Irvine. Likely, TIC offered Tesla the space and only that space. Tesla could have said, 'no thanks', but then the SuperCharger stall count would be zero; instead, its 8, and given the long lines the other day, 8 is better than nothing.

• Informative
Reactions: Jazz3D and P85_DA
obviously, more is (almost) always better, but this is not necessarily a Tesla issue. The Irvine Company (TIC) owns most of the land under the strip/community shopping areas in the City of Irvine. Likely, TIC offered Tesla the space and only that space. Tesla could have said, 'no thanks', but then the SuperCharger stall count would be zero; instead, its 8, and given the long lines the other day, 8 is better than nothing.

This might be one of the few shopping complexes not owned/run by the irvine company. Not 100% sure though but that doesnt change much

I’ve charged twice here now and rarely get above 57kW.

This station is perpetually full. Today, the queue was 6 cars deep. Granted, more people traveling due to the Superbowl.

Quite a few stalls have reduced charge rates, but in either case this SC is more so or less used by local shoppers so in general cars will be charging here longer... myself included as this sc is closest to me. I'd suggest the culver sc although that one is pretty crowded too.