Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Irvine, CA - Michelson Dr. (Park Place, LIVE 19 Oct 2019, 12 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(Moderator note: this post and the two subsequent posts were made in the San Clemente Supercharger thread and were moved into a new thread, this one).

I do not want to hyjack this thread, but has anyone found a permit or seen similar activity in Irvine yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not want to hyjack this thread, but has anyone found a permit or seen similar activity in Irvine yet?
Okay, then...don't. :)

You can start a new thread about the future Irvine Supercharger.
Or, better yet, post in in the Southern California Location Speculation Thread. But, to answer your question, I have been searching the Irvine permit site and so far I have not found any hits. Then again, I've missed them in the past. The hard part about searching Irvine is that they have a major street named Tesla that yields lots of results.

While it should not take that long to install and construct a charger station, the lack of building permits in October 2017, in California, for SC's proposed to be operational by 'End of 2018' is a concern.

It is a concern because the sales force is selling the 'hundreds of new operational superchargers' by the end of 2018 as part of the reason to buy a car today.

So once again, the company is not following through [yet] on something the sales force is selling. There are many of these 'little things' one encounters with Tesla I am discovering.

I don't do class actions - and I don't refer them and am not remotely interested in one, but its the kind of thing a company gets sued for an settles big time- remember - a company which has not turned a profit ever. Even with tens of millions of deposits on cars which as of today are vaporware, being booked as revenue.

While it should not take that long to install and construct a charger station, the lack of building permits in October 2017, in California, for SC's proposed to be operational by 'End of 2018' is a concern.

It is a concern because the sales force is selling the 'hundreds of new operational superchargers' by the end of 2018 as part of the reason to buy a car today.

So once again, the company is not following through [yet] on something the sales force is selling. There are many of these 'little things' one encounters with Tesla I am discovering.

I don't do class actions - and I don't refer them and am not remotely interested in one, but its the kind of thing a company gets sued for an settles big time- remember - a company which has not turned a profit ever. Even with tens of millions of deposits on cars which as of today are vaporware, being booked as revenue.
While I have been quite outspoken about the slow expansion of superchargers in the LA-SD corridor, I have to otherwise strongly disagree with you. Tesla has 33 superchargers across the US that are currently under construction, and another 15 that have been permitted.* And those are just the ones we know about!
Since the January 1, 2017, North America has opened 96 locations.* Sorry, but just mentioning class action, whether you are a fan of them or not, is not only a little far fetched, it also cannot be substantiated with the given actual data and the fact that Tesla has set it as a goal, not a promise or contractual obligation.

*Credit: supercharge.info

While I have been quite outspoken about the slow expansion of superchargers in the LA-SD corridor, I have to otherwise strongly disagree with you. Tesla has 33 superchargers across the US that are currently under construction, and another 15 that have been permitted.* And those are just the ones we know about!
Since the January 1, 2017, North America has opened 96 locations.* Sorry, but just mentioning class action, whether you are a fan of them or not, is not only a little far fetched, it also cannot be substantiated with the given actual data and the fact that Tesla has set it as a goal, not a promise or contractual obligation.

I understand how class lawyers think, I'm not making it up.

There is a COA if the sales force, under direct corporate control, is hyping the expanding supercharger network and showing people where SC's are being planned locally.

With dates

And then have the company not follow through, leaving people stuck at SC's for extended periods while they clear.

We can disagree - I stand by my comment that there is a risk if the company does not aggressively build out the literally hundreds of planned by end of 2018 SC's they have listed on the map!

It takes time - as we know. Time for planning. Then building of the electrical infrastructure and approvals by the power companies, local government, contractors etc etc etc

• Disagree
Reactions: rxlawdude

They have opened 96 locations in 2017, but they promised 400. I think he has a point.

Was told by an employee down at Costa Mesa that 32 stalls will be put in at the Spectrum. Not sure how much to believe, lol...

That's exactly where I envisioned an Irvine SpC. Off both the 405 and 5 freeways it makes the most sense. Parking is a struggle. Even the rooftops of garages fill up on weekends so I'm not sure how excited I would be to see them as 30 minute general parking/SpC spots. Hopefully they have something in the back of the regular parking lot in mind.

That's exactly where I envisioned an Irvine SpC. Off both the 405 and 5 freeways it makes the most sense. Parking is a struggle. Even the rooftops of garages fill up on weekends so I'm not sure how excited I would be to see them as 30 minute general parking/SpC spots. Hopefully they have something in the back of the regular parking lot in mind.
I share the same concerns really... I used to live right across from the Spectrum Center and getting in and out of there was definitely PITA. It's only gonna get worse with the overdevelopment in Irvine. Just think about the one at main place mall, if there's a line forming, it'll block the traffic for the entire area.

I share the same concerns really... I used to live right across from the Spectrum Center and getting in and out of there was definitely PITA. It's only gonna get worse with the overdevelopment in Irvine. Just think about the one at main place mall, if there's a line forming, it'll block the traffic for the entire area.

I would actually suggest, better than the Spectrum would be at the Los Olivos Marketplace, which is across the 405 from the main Spectrum center.

There are a bunch of great restaurants and a Whole Foods there, but Spectrum itself is like a place to hang out and browse, so I think Los Olivos would be better.

I would actually suggest, better than the Spectrum would be at the Los Olivos Marketplace, which is across the 405 from the main Spectrum center.

There are a bunch of great restaurants and a Whole Foods there, but Spectrum itself is like a place to hang out and browse, so I think Los Olivos would be better.

I respectfully disagree. That Marketplace is even harder to park at than the Spectrum Mall. There is a high speed charger in the lot that is always ICEd (I've even seen Tesla's there not plugged in) and when I go there for lunch I always have to circle for a bit to find a parking spot. I think it needs to be a "short walk" from the Spectrum Mall so it isn't affected by the parking situation yet if you need to be there for 45-60 min you can still explore the mall.

One thought is the Irvine Transportation Center (Train Station) there is a parking lot there only used as an overflow new car lot that would avoid ICEing. There is a little cafe and waiting room at the Train Station as well.