Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger is NOT your personal parking spot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I keep a sheet of paper in my glove box that lists my cell telephone number and also has a place for me to enter (in pencil) the time I started charging. I place that on my dash if I am away from my car while charging at a Supercharger. In that way, someone can tell when I started charging. I've never run into a problem yet. I have seen the Bethesda supercharger ---- the spaces are very tight!

I honestly wouldn't have known that these spots were for charging only... I thought that the mall spots were priority parking on a first-come basis. If they were strictly utilitarian for charging, I would think they would put them somewhere less likely to be confused with premium parking spots as they currently are (like the back of a surface lot). I'm glad I read this forum or I would have likely become an unknowing d-bag like the car in the OP. The signage is more likely the problem... Not the car owner.

Glad you started this thread. It may be a Bethesda problem. I had a women in red Tesla Model S using the Bethesda supercharger as a parking space and not even charging. I mean literally the car was not even plugged in lol. Very aloof. The women came back and said she loves the close parking space. I just let it go but my mind was going......The real issue is that we need Savage Mills to go live. Bethesda has a high density of cars in the area and 2 supercharging spots.

Last edited:
I honestly wouldn't have known that these spots were for charging only... I thought that the mall spots were priority parking on a first-come basis. If they were strictly utilitarian for charging, I would think they would put them somewhere less likely to be confused with premium parking spots as they currently are (like the back of a surface lot). I'm glad I read this forum or I would have likely become an unknowing d-bag like the car in the OP. The signage is more likely the problem... Not the car owner.

Just because the sign is vague, how can anyone leave their car in a Supercharger spot for hours? Everyone should know better, it is just common sense. If there is charging capacity in a parking spot, use it until you have adequate power and then move on.

Signage is a bit more complicated because it probably depends on local/State laws.

NO cure for rudeness, tough for Tesla to do anything.

I expect the signage to be necessary for folks ignorant of EV's and charging in general, and Superchargers specifically.

I do NOT expect such signage would be necessary for another Tesla owner. Unfortunate.

(Incidentally I live in VA where that car is titled, and work in MD around the corner from that Bethesda mall... I've seen this car with that plate on the road a couple of times)

Last edited:
Once again Tesla's horrible signage is a problem, the sign says "Tesla Electric Vehicle Parking" nothing about charging, nothing about time.

Right, because as thinking, considerate adult humans we couldn't possibly put two and two together and realize that somebody else with a Model S might be driving through and need to charge, and it would be kind and thoughtful of us not to block their access to the Supercharger, using it as our own personal parking spot. Instead it's Tesla's fault. Doesn't anyone ever get tired of blaming others for their own self-centered, selfish, inconsiderate, BS? I plan on cutting someone off on my way to work today when getting on my exit ramp and I'm going to blame the county for it for not making the exit ramp a 1/2 mile longer.

The fact of the matter is that Tesla could put a big, flashing, neon sign at all Superchargers stating the spots are for charging only and limited to 20 minutes and all sorts of people would continue to use them as parking spots - and you know it. Put the blame where it belongs.

Just because the sign is vague, how can anyone leave their car in a Supercharger spot for hours? Everyone should know better, it is just common sense. If there is charging capacity in a parking spot, use it until you have adequate power and then move on.

Signage is a bit more complicated because it probably depends on local/State laws.

NO cure for rudeness, tough for Tesla to do anything.

While I would not park there any longer than necessary to charge, I absolutely would not expect every owner to guess at the meaning of the sign.

The signage very clearly says "Tesla Electronic Vehicle Parking". That does not in any way indicate you should not just park there. In fact it does just the opposite. I says this parking spot is for you specially. I find it really hard to assume someone is rude just because they did exactly what the sign say to do.

I'm pretty sure no local or state laws call for an red sign with the Tesla logo on it to reserve a parking space. :)

I really feel it is Tesla's fault for marking it a parking space and not a charging space. At a minimum it should say "Tesla Electronic Vehicle Parking while Charging" or even better "Tesla Charging Only"

Right, because as thinking, considerate adult humans we couldn't possibly put two and two together and realize that somebody else with a Model S might be driving through and need to charge, and it would be kind and thoughtful of us not to block their access to the Supercharger, using it as our own personal parking spot. Instead it's Tesla's fault. Doesn't anyone ever get tired of blaming others for their own self-centered, selfish, inconsiderate, BS? I plan on cutting someone off on my way to work today when getting on my exit ramp and I'm going to blame the county for it for not making the exit ramp a 1/2 mile longer.

The fact of the matter is that Tesla could put a big, flashing, neon sign at all Superchargers stating the spots are for charging only and limited to 20 minutes and all sorts of people would continue to use them as parking spots - and you know it. Put the blame where it belongs.

^^This.

When I see somebody on the roads doing something especially crazy-making, I just grumble and think to myself, "There goes the Center of the Universe."

I mean, what are the chances? :biggrin:

So, first kudos to you for standing up and acknowledging this. Seriously.

But I'm honestly confused. If you see the supercharger or other charging equipment, how would you not know that it isn't just premium parking? The supercharger in particular is impossible to miss.

Tesla does not need to put a "big, flashing, neon sign". ANY sign saying it's for charging is enough. They did not even do the minimum required to make it clear.

If the sign said charging only, and someone still parked there, they are indeed rude and inconsiderate. And they would deserve all the blame they earned.

But if someone is using the spot in exactly the way the custom printed sign posted by Tesla says the spot is for, I do not thing they deserve any "blame" for their behavior.

Yes, the people who park improperly are to blame, and there will always be some people who ignore common sense and courtesy, but the issue is that with the current signs, it's not at all clear that it's not OK to park there. Say you want to go into an airport for a few minutes to meet someone arriving and there's a spot marked "Passenger drop-off area", but with no No Parking or No Stopping sign. A lot of people would be tempted to think "Well, it doesn't say I can't park here." People have learned that only the standard No Parking or No Stopping signs are enforced and everything else is "optional". It won't stop everyone, but it would help a lot and it would make it easier to ticket or tow in most municipalities. Enforcement may vary, but even if enforcement is rare, most people won't take the chance.

This specific case is surprising because the offender is a Tesla, but proper signage would make it clear for everyone. In many municipalities, private property owners can have anyone they don't want parked on their property towed, regardless of signage, so this will help the potential violators too - I know I'd be mad if my car was towed from a place with no No Parking signs...

There are definitely some clue-free S owners out there using the superchargers... on our trip from NC to MO via the great lakes states earlier this year, most amazing display of cluelessness was at the Mishawaka IN charger where an elderly couple pulled in parallel to the curb, blocking off access to at least 3 chargers in the process. Glad we were there first and had one of the end spots!

Actually, wouldn't all Tesla have to do is include a nice note card/letter which laid out charging spot etiquette with the cars and the rational for it?
It's like anything new, people aren't aware, and generally don't think about how to use new stuff without impinging on others. Consider cell phone use in restaurants.

There are definitely some clue-free S owners out there using the superchargers... on our trip from NC to MO via the great lakes states earlier this year, most amazing display of cluelessness was at the Mishawaka IN charger where an elderly couple pulled in parallel to the curb, blocking off access to at least 3 chargers in the process. Glad we were there first and had one of the end spots!

Did you have a pleasant chat with them? My guess is they were having trouble backing up into the spot.

Common Sense

While I agree with you that signage would make it clearer, I think most of us view it as common sense and realize that lots of owners probably want access the the Super Charger, just as we would if we were traveling. Just have to think about the Golden Rule on this one!