Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger is NOT your personal parking spot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Welcome to the post bleeding-edge. Now there are a plethora of Model S owners on the road who are not necessarily interested in TMC. They are not privy to the years of experience we have on this site with EV issues. What is common courtesy and sense to us, is not known to the general population. That's the nature of a still-new technology.

If we really want to make an impact, we'd put together a charting courtesy wiki. We could then send that wiki to our Tesla contacts and urge them to include a laminated hard copy with vehicle delivery.

I do love the TMC suggestions and ideas for leave-behind contact info while charging. I'm not a QR code fan, but at least it's someone putting forth an effort rather than just complaining in an echo chamber. I'm personally putting together a laminated contact card (with Google Voice number) for the windshield that I can write the "charging until" time with a dry erase marker.

I do love the TMC suggestions and ideas for leave-behind contact info while charging.

Posted this several time, but since not everyone reads every thread, this is what I use. I have an 8.5 x 11 laminated version that I just throw up on the dash:

card.jpg

A lot of food for thought here. I don't think the subject of the OP was a "d-bag" for doing what they did, likely just blissfully ignorant. I personally think it's rude to park and NOT charge. I think it gets a little muddier once your charge is done... Many have posted that as soon as the car is done charging, their opinion is that the owner should immediately report to their vehicle and move it. Tesla, however, puts the SC hardware near places of business and restaurants. If you need 30 minutes of charge, your meal is going to take 45 minutes, and the car is out of sight at a remote area of the parking lot, are you going to run all the way out there or finish the meal? Is it rude to finish up what you're doing and then head out? I'm not sure. I would think if you are going to be hanging around for more than a token amount of time after charging completion, you should move - but there has to be a little grace period. I believe Tesla wants the whole Supercharger experience to be one of convenience, and I think until recently (and only in the busiest areas), most people could head to a SC, charge and park for as long as they wanted without anyone caring. I drive by the Phoenix area chargers often enough and I rarely see a car charging let alone many for example.

Many EV-conscious early adopters have come up with "protocols" for these issues, and should be commended for it. But what happens once there are many more Model S cars on the road, then Model X, and later Model 3? We are already seeing non-EV people buying EVs (and isn't that what we want?), and the problem will compound itself. Many more inconsiderate and EV-issue ignorant people will be buying Teslas! Might there need to be non-charging Tesla parking around the SCs? Looking at Bethesda, at a busy mall where without a Tesla you'd have to circle for half an hour to find a spot on a busy day... If you park at the SC, are you going to move your car after charging with nowhere else to park, or take a half-hour break in your shopping trip which might have already been done by the time you finish relocating your Tesla? Many here would, for the sake of "the cause", but the general public? It will vary.

As more cars come online, there will need to be rules for SC use handed down by Tesla and the property owners. My suggestions:

- Maximum parking time at a SC limited to the amount of time to range-charge an 85 battery with a little buffer (maybe 60 mins?)
- Additional signage indicating parking is only valid WHILE charging, and that you need to move if others are waiting.
- Try to standardize SC parking rules and get rid of the spots that ICE cars are allowed to use.
- Increase use of secure codes (rather than phone numbers) to contact owners who need to move cars - I for one wouldn't want my wife traveling alone and putting her cell number on the dash so anyone can contact her. People do creepy things.

I liken this to the signs at the gym. If there is no wait at your cardio machine, take a little longer if you want. If people are waiting, limit your session to 30 minutes!

This is going to be very hard to enforce though. Property owners, cities, and Tesla already seem to do little for the ICEing problem. Do you think it will be very popular if TESLAS get towed from TESLA chargers?

With the new Autopilot and Self-Park features, all Tesla needs to do is make the SC charging cords robotic. Then when the car is charged up, the cord disconnects and the car drives off to park elsewhere, and the next car in the charging queue rolls itself into position and begins charging.

I went to the Bethesda supercharger on Friday morning to charge up before heading home and there were two Model S parked in the two supercharger spots. After waiting for an hour and a half, one of the owners came out, apologized profusely and left. I proceeded to charge my car for 25 minutes and left myself a margin of 15 miles to get to the Newark supercharger as there was another owner that was waiting for my spot. This second car however was there when I got there and still there when we left, making their total time taking up that spot at a good 2 hours.

Superchargers are meant to be places for charging your car. If you wouldn't leave your car at a gas station pump for two hours, then you should use your common sense and realize that it's completely inappropriate to do that at a supercharger. There's a reason there's a phone app so you can remotely monitor your charging. Thank you for getting a vanity plate so it will be easier for present and future owners to recognize what an utter d-bag you are. Guess money can't buy class.

View attachment 64373

i think this person got their vanity platesvwrong, they should got plates MEMEME

It's not sociopathic behavior, just an inability to consider the needs of others and recognize that one is part of an interdependent society. Human infants develop empathy at a very young age but it needs to be encouraged and nurtured. Unfortunately, some people fail to develop that quality.
Isn't "an inability to consider the needs of others" one way to define sociopathic behaviour?

I see a lot of anger here and I agree that we should all be courteous. But it's not a hard-and-fast rule that you must always move the car after it is done charging. For example, I park and charge at Gilroy on occasion and do some shopping. Maybe an hour or two. And of the ten Supercharger stalls, I'm very often the only one there, and sometimes there are only one or two other cars. There's really no immediate need to move and vacate the space.