TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Supercharger is ramping down the Amps delivered

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Seth, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Seth

Seth Member

Sitting in my car at my first ever supercharger visit (Ft Myers) and I'm pretty disappointed. I took a picture when it was pumping at 120a but now it's down below 100! It started at 240 and has been steadily dropping.
    XXU5GY7.jpg

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Welcome to TMC!

That is completely normal. You are close to full so it starts ramping down fairly quickly.

See
    Supercharger | Tesla Motors
    under 'How it works'

3. DavidM

DavidM P2624, Delivered

Seth, Your screen shows you are at 207 miles of range. The supercharger tails off significantly when you are nearly full. If you rolled into the supercharger with 50 miles of range, you would be very impressed. I charged at the Ft. myers supercharger yesterday before the meetup. I rolled in with 115 miles of range and added roughly 60 miles of range in about 12 minutes.

4. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

This is totally normal. Wait until your get close to 100% charge and your current ramps down to 6A... :)

5. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

As others have said, completely normal. This graph is from the Tesla Supercharger page:
    SC Charging.png

As you can see the rate of charging decreases as the State of Charge (SOC) increases, the taper.

Note that the reported charge rate is the average for the session. Your instantaneous charge rate is Volts*Amps/300Wh/mi. In your case the car is reporting 232 mph charge rate, the average since you started the charge session, but the instantaneous charge rate when you took the picture was 390V*120A/300Wh/mi, or 156 mph, still 3x an HPWC with dual chargers... :wink: