Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Issaquah, WA (LIVE Oct 2018, 8 Urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I stopped by last night. No progress or changes vs. the picture from TreborThickweb on Wednesday. All the hardware incl. the Tesla cabinets has disappeared. Possibly they are now in the 2 shipping containers that are still on site (if they fit). I wonder what's going on here.

This Supercharger location can not happen soon enough for me. I commute from Suncadia to Microsoft 4 days/wk and this Supercharger will make life so much easier. Left Issaquah with 130mi of rated range Sunday night and drove through a snowstorm at the top of the pass through Exit 80 (Suncadia/Bullfrog road). Through 20 miles of heavy falling snow and concentrating on the road conditions, I didn't realize how much energy I was using and how fast the battery was draining down. Once I realized how low of charge I was at and my current usage rate, I slowed down as much as possible but the battery discharge rate continued until I had 0 rated miles at Exit 80. I made it about a 1/4mi further (2 mi from home) and the car said to pull over. Once stopped, the car would go no further. An hour later and a $220 flatbed tow for 2 miles, I was charging at home again...Tesla service line was helpful for arranging the tow.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: taldric and IdaX
This Supercharger location can not happen soon enough for me. I commute from Suncadia to Microsoft 4 days/wk and this Supercharger will make life so much easier. Left Issaquah with 130mi of rated range Sunday night and drove through a snowstorm at the top of the pass through Exit 80 (Suncadia/Bullfrog road). Through 20 miles of heavy falling snow and concentrating on the road conditions, I didn't realize how much energy I was using and how fast the battery was draining down. Once I realized how low of charge I was at and my current usage rate, I slowed down as much as possible but the battery discharge rate continued until I had 0 rated miles at Exit 80. I made it about a 1/4mi further (2 mi from home) and the car said to pull over. Once stopped, the car would go no further. An hour later and a $220 flatbed tow for 2 miles, I was charging at home again...Tesla service line was helpful for arranging the tow.

Ouch. No portable generator at home?

I commute from Suncadia to Microsoft 4 days/wk and this Supercharger will make life so much easier. Left Issaquah with 130mi of rated range Sunday night).
So many questions. There are (6) L2s at Microsoft in Issaquah and it is less than 3-4 miles from at least a dozen Chademo stations between Bellevue Nissan and Bellevue College. Why did you leave with only 130 miles?

No offense, but after reading this, I was guessing this was your first winter driving a Tesla! I know the snow probably made for a stressful drive, but still an amateur mistake to not keep track of your range. Suncadia is about 2,000 ft higher than the Microsoft campus, so you lose about 20 rated miles of range just due to elevation. So having effectively 110 rated miles for an 80 mile drive, puts you in the danger zone already considering much of the drive is high speed limit freeway. The weather of course was your ultimate undoing but that should be expected this time of year.

I am interested to here that you could only go a 1/4 mile once you hit 0 rated miles. I have hit zero twice myself and both times I was able to go another half mile or so to make it to the supercharger. I guess I should be more careful!

Black Friday. Looks like the area of interest has been put back into general use for awhile. PSE markings run about 4 rows to the underground vault near the Sprint store and a smallish transformer near that store.

Attachments

• 85C88C7E-39F2-46C8-96D3-708D65B10801.jpeg
    85C88C7E-39F2-46C8-96D3-708D65B10801.jpeg
    564.7 KB · Views: 153
  • 6B17FAA6-DC28-43A6-A4AB-1EBAF2213F03.jpeg
    6B17FAA6-DC28-43A6-A4AB-1EBAF2213F03.jpeg
    454.8 KB · Views: 122
  • 56BBD713-535A-4A4E-9D18-60BE9E1F65F7.jpeg
    56BBD713-535A-4A4E-9D18-60BE9E1F65F7.jpeg
    634.8 KB · Views: 138
  • Informative
Reactions: otter
Went by last night and it looks like the project is on hold. I wonder if Tesla diverted the chargers to another site? I would think that if they messed up they'd have repaved, but they just filled in with select fill so I'd assume they start up again at some point in the near future.

I just checked the Labor and Industries ( Electrical permits ) website and it still shows this permit as canceled. I suspect there was a snafu with permitting that is causing the issue Bummer.

I just looked again on mybuildingpermit.com (Permit Number: SW17-00028) and the permit status is "Issued".

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-11-26 at 2.03.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-26 at 2.03.34 PM.png
    694.6 KB · Views: 112
  • Informative
Reactions: Discoducky
The staging area is still fenced in and had two ship games containers in it. The area where the chargers might go has the fence removed and general parking is available (this is where the “select fill” is). Maybe on hold for a bit?

Attachments

• BE47B2CF-D6E6-47E1-B8B9-ED797FBA8835.jpeg
    BE47B2CF-D6E6-47E1-B8B9-ED797FBA8835.jpeg
    375.2 KB · Views: 122
So many questions. There are (6) L2s at Microsoft in Issaquah and it is less than 3-4 miles from at least a dozen Chademo stations between Bellevue Nissan and Bellevue College. Why did you leave with only 130 miles?
TurboFroggy, I left with 130 miles because it was later in the evening and the pass was getting worse (it actually closed after I passed over it that evening due to heavy snow) and I improperly guessed that the 130 rated miles would take me the actual 64 miles to my door, obviously it didn't. The charging situation at Studio B sucks, anemic charging infrastructure and it was full most of the day with Leafs. I had run a few errands on the east side and decided to charge at the Holiday Inn at Pickering Place...they have a L3 charger there (Tesla HPWC up to 60A@230V). I stayed there for 40mins to grab enough charge before leaving...obviously wasn't enough given that I was driving 600wh/mi through the storm and wasn't paying attention to my energy usage due to a family emergency phone call and the heavy snowfall. Won't happen again.

Last edited:
No offense, but after reading this, I was guessing this was your first winter driving a Tesla! I know the snow probably made for a stressful drive, but still an amateur mistake to not keep track of your range. Suncadia is about 2,000 ft higher than the Microsoft campus, so you lose about 20 rated miles of range just due to elevation. So having effectively 110 rated miles for an 80 mile drive, puts you in the danger zone already considering much of the drive is high speed limit freeway. The weather of course was your ultimate undoing but that should be expected this time of year.

I am interested to here that you could only go a 1/4 mile once you hit 0 rated miles. I have hit zero twice myself and both times I was able to go another half mile or so to make it to the supercharger. I guess I should be more careful!
Yes, it was my first heavy snow winter drive over I-90 but I'm not an amateur, I just made a mistake in judgement and was highly distracted of monitoring my energy during the drive. I drive I-90 to work every day between Cle Elum and Redmond so I'm familiar with how much energy it takes to get over the pass during "non-snowing" conditions.
I started at the Issaquah Costco with 130 rated miles (not 120.) I had a lot of things going on that night...heavy, heavy snow fall (sudden storm and the pass closed right after I went over it eastbound), it was getting late in the evening and temperature was dropping down to freezing (no time to charge further, thought it would be enough), I had a car full of Costco purchases for Thanksgiving (extra weight), and I was on the phone for most of the resultant drive due to a family emergency that I was trying to take care of...I was highly distracted regarding my energy monitoring between trying to see the road through the snow falling and taking the phone call. No, I did not have my final destination programmed, so the trip calculator wasn't running to predict energy usage...I knew where I was going and I believed I had enough energy (assuming I wasn't driving at 600Wh/mi.) So yes, a perfect storm for not paying attention to battery level and running out of juice. I've driven over 70kmi on the car and done many cross country trips...sometimes you think you have plenty of energy to cover your range based on prior knowledge, change any one variable, and I would have been fine.
When I got off my emergency phone call around Easton, I realized (too late) that I was using almost 600Whr/mi for the 64 mile drive (not 80mi from Issaquah.) So yes, the math doesn't lie, I was in trouble. I tried to compensate by turning off the heater, slowing down to 35mph, and turning on the trip calculator for the final 15 miles. It was predicting that I should get to my home with +2mi. However, as I got off at Exit 80, the remaining range quickly decreased from 6 to 0 in less than a minute. I was hoping there might be a little range in the reserve...there is usually is a couple of miles, but not at 28 deg. I think the outside temperature decreased over the last 15 miles and took whatever reserve range is usually in the battery and reduced it to zero. Trip computer confirmed that with the last minute update...ticking away the remaining miles like the last bits of sand running out of the hourglass.
Yeah, I was not happy running out of juice, and I don't blame the car, I made several mistakes on this drive. There were a lot of shoulda-coulda-wouldas (pull over for the phone call, stop at the top of the pass and grab a charge, drive 5 mph slower on the route, lower cabin temperature...etc) and I beat myself up pretty good for it. But it's likely to not happen again for this drive, especially when this supercharger comes online.
I just wanted to share this experience because it could happen given the adage "I think I have enough energy, I don't need to worry..." Having your car on a flatbed for a 2 mile trip is embarrassing enough and the sting of that towing fee will burn a powerful teaching moment into your brain.

Last edited:
Stopped by last night (12/4), the construction area is the same as last described above. Cut asphalt area with rock fill (not nearly enough to be smooth) and cars parked in the marked spaces around it. No fence surrounding the area (as this area used to be a fenced in for the construction.) I only saw one shipping container nearby.

Yes, it was my first heavy snow winter drive over I-90 but I'm not an amateur, I just made a mistake in judgement and was highly distracted of monitoring my energy during the drive. I drive I-90 to work every day between Cle Elum and Redmond so I'm familiar with how much energy it takes to get over the pass during "non-snowing" conditions.
I started at the Issaquah Costco with 130 rated miles (not 120.) I had a lot of things going on that night...heavy, heavy snow fall (sudden storm and the pass closed right after I went over it eastbound), it was getting late in the evening and temperature was dropping down to freezing (no time to charge further, thought it would be enough), I had a car full of Costco purchases for Thanksgiving (extra weight), and I was on the phone for most of the resultant drive due to a family emergency that I was trying to take care of...I was highly distracted regarding my energy monitoring between trying to see the road through the snow falling and taking the phone call. No, I did not have my final destination programmed, so the trip calculator wasn't running to predict energy usage...I knew where I was going and I believed I had enough energy (assuming I wasn't driving at 600Wh/mi.) So yes, a perfect storm for not paying attention to battery level and running out of juice. I've driven over 70kmi on the car and done many cross country trips...sometimes you think you have plenty of energy to cover your range based on prior knowledge, change any one variable, and I would have been fine.
When I got off my emergency phone call around Easton, I realized (too late) that I was using almost 600Whr/mi for the 64 mile drive (not 80mi from Issaquah.) So yes, the math doesn't lie, I was in trouble. I tried to compensate by turning off the heater, slowing down to 35mph, and turning on the trip calculator for the final 15 miles. It was predicting that I should get to my home with +2mi. However, as I got off at Exit 80, the remaining range quickly decreased from 6 to 0 in less than a minute. I was hoping there might be a little range in the reserve...there is usually is a couple of miles, but not at 28 deg. I think the outside temperature decreased over the last 15 miles and took whatever reserve range is usually in the battery and reduced it to zero. Trip computer confirmed that with the last minute update...ticking away the remaining miles like the last bits of sand running out of the hourglass.
Yeah, I was not happy running out of juice, and I don't blame the car, I made several mistakes on this drive. There were a lot of shoulda-coulda-wouldas (pull over for the phone call, stop at the top of the pass and grab a charge, drive 5 mph slower on the route, lower cabin temperature...etc) and I beat myself up pretty good for it. But it's likely to not happen again for this drive, especially when this supercharger comes online.
I just wanted to share this experience because it could happen given the adage "I think I have enough energy, I don't need to worry..." Having your car on a flatbed for a 2 mile trip is embarrassing enough and the sting of that towing fee will burn a powerful teaching moment into your brain.

Thanks for the informative post. I need some help from your experience.

I have a X90D and live in Crossroads, Bellevue. I am planning to visit Leavenworth (through Snoqualmie Pass) this weekend with 4 adults, one baby and stuff for the weekend. If I start with 240 miles rated range, do you think I can make it?