Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Issaquah, WA - Gilman Village

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M

MarcoRP

Another 8-stall Supercharger is coming to Issaquah!!

This time, a pre-app is in review for a location in Gilman Village, about a mile from the Fred Meyer Supercharger.

Gilman.jpg

Interesting. Other side of I90, crazy traffic, congested parking, but what else is new in Issaquah? Probably the village owners said get those high net worth Tesla owners in our parking lot. Target would have been an easier parking lot, but still crazy traffic at that intersection.

Reactions: chrstna4
I had to look that up in the parcel viewer, because I didn't realize "Gilman Village" was a formal-nuf-name that google knew it.

I like that shopping center area. Stop there frequently enough already. Pretty walkable shopping area, not that far off of I90 (still a slow detour due to traffic.)

That's Gillman Village. You can use the King County Parcel Viewer to verify the general property area, using the parcel# from the screen shot.

I would expect a smaller/more "urban supercharger" installation there, to be honest. The parking area's kinda cramped. It's a nice shopping center, but it's not your usual stroad/big-box-store-anchored shopping center.

I don't know where the specific coordinates came from, as they aren't in the screen shot in the original post, so ... ... /me shrugs.

Reactions: Jeff Hudson
That's Gillman Village. You can use the King County Parcel Viewer to verify the general property area, using the parcel# from the screen shot.

I would expect a smaller/more "urban supercharger" installation there, to be honest. The parking area's kinda cramped. It's a nice shopping center, but it's not your usual stroad/big-box-store-anchored shopping center.

I don't know where the specific coordinates came from, as they aren't in the screen shot in the original post, so ... ... /me shrugs.
Here is another permit for the site work. Definitely some movement.
1659969585348.png

1659969727979.png

Unfortunate. I have heard that there is pushback on EV chargers because it “takes up a parking space” and that parking spots are at a premium in the Everett-Tacoma-Issaquah mess-tro-plex. Apparently some officials don’t think EVs are cars.:( Perhaps part of the reason for denial.

Apparently some officials don’t think EVs are cars.:( Perhaps part of the reason for denial.
Fortunately, individual officials (by which I assume you mean the person reviewing and approving the permit application) don't get to decide what is the City of Issaquah's policy and practices and what isn't and can't deny an application without merit. The city would get sued lickety-split for such behavior. I doubt the City of Issaquah has any anti-EV policy, but if there is one, please post a link to it and we can contact our council members.

Fortunately, individual officials (by which I assume you mean the person reviewing and approving the permit application) don't get to decide what is the City of Issaquah's policy and practices and what isn't and can't deny an application without merit. The city would get sued lickety-split for such behavior. I doubt the City of Issaquah has any anti-EV policy, but if there is one, please post a link to it and we can contact our council members.
No, I don’t have any direct knowledge of bias by any officials. My statement came from a discussion that I had with a writer for a Seattle area magazine (sorry, don’t remember which). This person mentioned that “people”, perhaps meant as “the public” don’t like having parking spaces dedicated for EV charging, because parking is already at a premium. Of course, this writer did not own an EV.

I understand that there are often code requirements for the minimum number of parking spaces. This is where it might get to be an issue if charging spots were specifically designated as not parking. Example: code requires 200 spots and that’s exactly how many the developer put in place. Then, if 10 spots are dedicated to Tesla charging and not available for ICE parking, does this decrease the available spots to 190, below the requirements? Of course, it’s not a problem if the developer put in more parking than required. That’s the basis for my comments, not any specific knowledge of bias. Sorry my statement was unclear.

No, I don’t have any direct knowledge of bias by any officials. My statement came from a discussion that I had with a writer for a Seattle area magazine (sorry, don’t remember which). This person mentioned that “people”, perhaps meant as “the public” don’t like having parking spaces dedicated for EV charging, because parking is already at a premium. Of course, this writer did not own an EV.

I understand that there are often code requirements for the minimum number of parking spaces. This is where it might get to be an issue if charging spots were specifically designated as not parking. Example: code requires 200 spots and that’s exactly how many the developer put in place. Then, if 10 spots are dedicated to Tesla charging and not available for ICE parking, does this decrease the available spots to 190, below the requirements? Of course, it’s not a problem if the developer put in more parking than required. That’s the basis for my comments, not any specific knowledge of bias. Sorry my statement was unclear.
You are parked while charging right? You aren’t driving around or doing anything else that wouldn’t be considered as parked? Spots for charging still count as spots for parking. However, in your example, if the site needed 200 parking spots and the Tesla station required the removal of 12 spots to create 10 Tesla spots then you’d end up with 198 and be short of the required 200. I think there are very few parking lots Tesla would consider where there are the exact number of spots required by code so this wouldn’t be an issue. Definitely not an issue where Tesla would have back and forth on multiple submittals with corrections. That would be very black and white in terms of does the location have X number of spots.

Here is some information from an employee of the Gilman Village management. The person is in the maintenance department so may not know all that management does ( or maybe a lot more). Said that the site would have been in the back parking lot facing Juniper Street. The inference was that the existing power feed was inadequate for the 8 pylons. There is another project being run by the city of Issaquah reworking some utilities and the sidewalk but that when that work was done the Tesla project would be reevaluated. Not sure why that’s a factor unless there is a upgrade included to an underground power feed. Anyone familiar with the Redwood (it’s a big one, must be close to 70 years old) located in that section of the parking lot is the approximate location described by the employee.

Attachments

• 4547875C-E877-451E-BC89-0336E70D6141.jpeg
    4547875C-E877-451E-BC89-0336E70D6141.jpeg
    752.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 5D3BC1D7-B3E3-4449-81E4-3100CA1679D7.jpeg
    5D3BC1D7-B3E3-4449-81E4-3100CA1679D7.jpeg
    489.6 KB · Views: 57