Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Issaquah, WA (LIVE Oct 2018, 8 Urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this might be an unpopular opinion but I think some accountants at Tesla ran numbers on their burn rate for upcoming projects like Model 3 ramp, Roadster and Semi and had an "oh *sugar*" moment. Model 3 ramp has costed them way more than they expected.

Tesla has made many moves recently to capture more money. Doubling the cost of supercharging, removing commercial supercharging, and a lot of sites that were planned for supercharging have seemingly disappeared.

Not taking a position on whether or not I agree with these decisions but all signs point to them making sure they can stay liquid as these installations cannot be cheap, nor can operating them. Seems like someone got a little supercharger happy and just start throwing pins on a map.

I know this might be an unpopular opinion but I think some accountants at Tesla ran numbers on their burn rate for upcoming projects like Model 3 ramp, Roadster and Semi and had an "oh *sugar*" moment. Model 3 ramp has costed them way more than they expected.

Tesla has made many moves recently to capture more money. Doubling the cost of supercharging, removing commercial supercharging, and a lot of sites that were planned for supercharging have seemingly disappeared.

Not taking a position on whether or not I agree with these decisions but all signs point to them making sure they can stay liquid as these installations cannot be cheap, nor can operating them. Seems like someone got a little supercharger happy and just start throwing pins on a map.
Agree totally. If Tesla was making the model 3's it expected -- this rollout would be going better. Can't blame them for doing the right thing and slowing down. Just wish they would update their map so customers don't feel mislead...

That's my speculation as well, but I'm not seeing any evidence of this from supercharge.info

I do think the Pacific Northwest isn't getting its fair share of superchargers, but this is nothing new.

I think there's plenty. I haven't had to wait in line like some other states.
The Superchargers are really not meant for you as a local. How you can say that you "think there's plenty"... haven't had to wait in line like some other states."

As a visiter the Sammamish area from California I found no lines for Superchargers because there where no Superchargers to wait in line for. Had extreme range anxiety to freely travel in the Seattle/Sammamish area. This is a major con for owning a Tesla at this time. At least in the San Diego, you have one Supercharger location to charge at but you have to wait in a long line to charge your Tesla. There still some States and Provences with no Superchargers. Until these areas are filled in and managed for us to freely travel and visit away from home, I can not recommend buying a Tesla to others unless you are only going to travel where there are well established Superchargers. But the Greater Seattle Metro Area without ANY Superchargers? Get real. And remember, it is not about you locals in this area. You can easily charge at home and reach a Supercharger from the Seattle area.

• Disagree
Reactions: Xtek
The Superchargers are really not meant for you as a local. How you can say that you "think there's plenty"... haven't had to wait in line like some other states."

As a visiter the Sammamish area from California I found no lines for Superchargers because there where no Superchargers to wait in line for. Had extreme range anxiety to freely travel in the Seattle/Sammamish area. This is a major con for owning a Tesla at this time. At least in the San Diego, you have one Supercharger location to charge at but you have to wait in a long line to charge your Tesla. There still some States and Provences with no Superchargers. Until these areas are filled in and managed for us to freely travel and visit away from home, I can not recommend buying a Tesla to others unless you are only going to travel where there are well established Superchargers. But the Greater Seattle Metro Area without ANY Superchargers? Get real. And remember, it is not about you locals in this area. You can easily charge at home and reach a Supercharger from the Seattle area.
I understand your frustrations, but you are kinda contradicting yourself here. You say SCs are not for locals, but travelers, then complain about not being able to charge at a SC when you stay somewhere for a period of time. Doesn't staying somewhere for a time makes you a "local", although a temporary one?

The problem you are dealing with is what the Destination "Charger" program is for.

I routinely travel through WA state.

I think I disagree with all 3 of you guys for various reasons:

Xtek-There are not "plenty" if you are driving a lot on the south end or east side of Seattle metro. In fact there are none. And detouring to Lynnwood is not much of an option for about 16 hours out of the day due to traffic.

SR-75-Can we stop with the hating on locals using superchargers? Tesla itself is now making urban superchargers and has changed their stance on this topic. There are a lot of apartment dwellers (myself included) who don't have an easy way to "fill up" every night. And this demographic will increase dramatically with the Model 3s hitting the road.

BerTX-small nitpick here, but I'm not much of a fan of the Destination Charger program. I mean it's better than nothing, but if I could trade the 4,000 or so destination chargers in the US for 400 superchargers, I would do it in a heartbeat. With rare exception, I'm simply not going to let my car determine where I stay or eat. For hotels, I'd rather stay at whatever place is cheapest (sometimes saving up to $100/night) and with restaurants, I'm going to eat at a place with good reviews that interests me.

Xtek-There are not "plenty" if you are driving a lot on the south end or east side of Seattle metro. In fact there are none. And detouring to Lynnwood is not much of an option for about 16 hours out of the day due to traffic.

SR-75-Can we stop with the hating on locals using superchargers? Tesla itself is now making urban superchargers and has changed their stance on this topic. There are a lot of apartment dwellers (myself included) who don't have an easy way to "fill up" every night. And this demographic will increase dramatically with the Model 3s hitting the road.

BerTX-small nitpick here, but I'm not much of a fan of the Destination Charger program. I mean it's better than nothing, but if I could trade the 4,000 or so destination chargers in the US for 400 superchargers, I would do it in a heartbeat. With rare exception, I'm simply not going to let my car determine where I stay or eat. For hotels, I'd rather stay at whatever place is cheapest (sometimes saving up to $100/night) and with restaurants, I'm going to eat at a place with good reviews that interests me.

There is a gap geographically for sure. I was recently in Goldendale, WA and the 5 stall Ellensburg supercharger can definitely use some love.

• Love
Reactions: ReddyLeaf and IdaX
I agree, but that IS what the Destination "Charger" system is for, to give people staying at a destination a place to charge.. It definitely could be better implemented. I rarely use the D/C system. I have stayed at decent hotels with facilities for charging a couple of times that were moderately priced, and that has been a pleasure. Most of the hotels with a D/C are not reasonable.

I usually get "if you can afford a Tesla, you can afford a $300 hotel" about this time. This is true. I can. But I won't -- especially if it is just a bed for a few hours during a road trip.

I do not hate locals using superchargers! But, you did make my point on what Xtek said was not true, but as a local in Seattle does have more options than someone visiting family & friends in this area.

As for the apartment dwellers, that is more reason for building Superchargers and/or urban chargers.

There still NOT plenty or there is not any in this Hugh gap in this area.

Last edited:
I understand your frustrations, but you are kinda contradicting yourself here. You say SCs are not for locals, but travelers, then complain about not being able to charge at a SC when you stay somewhere for a period of time. Doesn't staying somewhere for a time makes you a "local", although a temporary one?

The problem you are dealing with is what the Destination "Charger" program is for.
Visiting with family in this area, and sometimes with a friend further north and they do not have a Destination Charger.

You do not travel much with your Tesla if you do not use the Supercharger much. If you stay at a Hotel with a Destination Charger, does not mean it will be available to you in a timely basis. When running around away from home, I am not looking for a slow charge.

Back to this SuC....

Earlier last year - before construction in Issaquah had started - the Mayor of Snoqualmie had indicated that a SuC would go in at the Safeway parking lot in Snoqualmie. Maybe that's what now will happen. Will start to look for permits...

Back to this SuC....

Earlier last year - before construction in Issaquah had started - the Mayor of Snoqualmie had indicated that a SuC would go in at the Safeway parking lot in Snoqualmie. Maybe that's what now will happen. Will start to look for permits...

I’ve always assumed it would be Snoqualmie or North Bend due to HWY 18 interchange. Issaquah is a bit of a headscratcher on the location especially since they’ll be putting in some SuCs in Bellevue