Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SuperCharger Issues/Errors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Yesterday I used the Atlantic City/Egg Harbor superchargers. Kept receiving error messages saying unable to charge. Tried three separate chargers before calling Tesla. They showed all 8 of the superchargers were available and there were no problems with any. They recommended making an appointment for service. I was going to try an AC charger in Atlantic City to get at least enough power to drive home. Finally after someone who had success departed I connected and it started charging normally. Today I used the Woodbridge supercharger site at WaWa. No error message but three units I connected to wouldn't start charging. 4th was a charm. Thinking it was a recurring problem, I Called Tesla again. The rep showed all 8 chargers with no problems. On the navigation, it showed all 8 chargers occupied but in reality I was the only vehicle there. As additional cars arrived, other users were hopping from charger to charger trying to get power.

Genesis of the story, when contacting Tesla the message prompt says if you are reporting Supercharger issues, hang up as they already are aware. In both cases they were not. Both times I was connected very quickly and received great contact if erroneous info. Great company, great car.

• Informative
Reactions: madodel
I would guess your car is not the problem. Rapid growth of the Supercharger network has created some obvious maintenance of existing SC’s issues.

The problem is compounded by a poor reporting system for outages. Some frequent users in AZ carry tape with them to mark with an “X” broken chargers. Other users hang the cord over the pedestal. Until Tesla visits a site those broken SC’s probably show as being in service. Unfortunately I would expect the problem to get much worse, a consequence of so many SC’s getting old at once.

I don’t use SC’s often — charge both Teslas at home — but for about two months I have a long commute and need to top off. I think I will start carrying some tape in both cars. Obviously that really helps people avoid wasting time and perhaps losing their turn in line during extremely busy periods.