Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Jackson, Mississippi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not today, at least yesterday. Saw it and posted in the Memphis thread. I then spent a couple of hours trying to look for permits in Jackson/Hinds County. I sent out an email to the contact on the Jackson website, inquiring about the permit itself, or a search engine. Hopefully she will respond on Monday. Hinds County has a website, but no mention of permits of any kind on it.

It plus Slidell make I-55 good from the gulf coast as far north as Memphis, then a great supercharger void until you reach St Louis. In fact, currently, the only fast chargers currently between NOLA and St Louis are the 3 Chademos in Memphis. Clearly I-55 isn't a priority, up until now. But still, have to ask why they would be working on I-55 before finishing I-65, specifically Birmingham?

Last edited:
My Model S and I regularly travel on I-20 from Shreveport, LA, to Jackson, MS. So when I saw that Tesla is showing a supercharger station in or near (probably west) of Jackson "soon," I decided to call the permitting authorities in Jackson, MS; Clinton, MS; Hinds County, MS; and Warren County, MS (the City of Vicksburg and Warren County apparently have a consolidated government). To date none of the permitting offices are aware of permits being issued for a supercharger station although all of them are interested. I will check again periodically. If anyone has any ideas for bird dogging this beyond calling the offices, please let me know.

My Model S and I regularly travel on I-20 from Shreveport, LA, to Jackson, MS. So when I saw that Tesla is showing a supercharger station in or near (probably west) of Jackson "soon," I decided to call the permitting authorities in Jackson, MS; Clinton, MS; Hinds County, MS; and Warren County, MS (the City of Vicksburg and Warren County apparently have a consolidated government). To date none of the permitting offices are aware of permits being issued for a supercharger station although all of them are interested. I will check again periodically. If anyone has any ideas for bird dogging this beyond calling the offices, please let me know.

The "coming soon" pin has been there for six weeks now. Has anyone heard anything further?

This would connect Memphis to the gulf coast, which is desperately needed. Also holding my breath for Tupelo and Meridian, MS.

I'll be making a trip to NewOrleans this spring, it would be nice to be able to take the tesla...

I hear from reliable sources that construction in Jackson will very likely start in the next few months. Keep your eyes open.

Well, ALL of I-20 (including Jackson, MS) from DFW to Atlanta was supposed to be completed by end of 2015.
I guess another few months for any of the Superchargers to be started should be considered some sort of progress.

...still a very long way to go in the Southeast.

Happy to see Slidell, LA open, but that remains hundreds of miles out of my range from deep inside the great supercharger desert.

I was kinda hoping when the crew finished Slidell, they'd move up to Jackson, but apparently not.

Meanwhile, California got for additional super chargers last month. Mostly it seems to flesh out the network and reduce the possibility of lines. Arrrgh.

OK, I'm done venting for the moment.

If if they put me in charge I'd prioritize differently, though...

Happy to see Slidell, LA open, but that remains hundreds of miles out of my range from deep inside the great supercharger desert.

I was kinda hoping when the crew finished Slidell, they'd move up to Jackson, but apparently not.

Meanwhile, California got for additional super chargers last month. Mostly it seems to flesh out the network and reduce the possibility of lines. Arrrgh.

I hear from reliable sources that construction in Jackson will very likely start in the next few months. Keep your eyes open.

Adding to my previous statement. Be patient, Jackson and I-20 from JAN towards DFW and beyond will be happening "soon..."

I feel (most of) your pain.

Texas was stranded on a Supercharger Island until March of 2015.

I also would allocate and re-priortize the placement and distribution of Superchargers to get five or six installed quickly, and then start filling in the rest.
"Soon" would have been completing I-20 in December 2015.
We are now in Mid-Feb., and still not a ditch being dug.

Memphis is the LAST major city (my definition "with a major Sports Team") without access to Superchargers.
And no good way to get there, short of an RV Park.

Tesla has a "Coming Soon" grey pin on their "Today" map.
Sneaky one?

March now. Bump.

On the off chance that Tesla monitors these threads, and uses the level of activity to determine the urgency of a particular site...

I'd really like to see Jackson online. It puts Memphis (barely) within reach of New Orleans and the rest of the Gulf Coast. I have a trip to New Orleans in May, still have fingers crossed but definitely not holding my breath.

I'm hoping for the Memphis - Jackson, MS corridor to be built soon. I'd like to go from Nashville to Jackson, and there's no SC way to get there without travelling hundreds of miles out of the way. It can be done, but it's just about "you can't get there from here."

Reactions: N4HHE
Memphis is the LAST major city (my definition "with a major Sports Team") without access to Superchargers.
And no good way to get there, short of an RV Park.

Neither Seattle nor Minneapolis have superchargers close enough that you can drive any amount around the city and get back to a supercharger with a decent reserve. It's not enough to have superchargers 100 miles away from a city unless you also have one in the city. You can drive through those cities, you just can't visit them.

Neither Seattle nor Minneapolis have superchargers close enough that you can drive any amount around the city and get back to a supercharger with a decent reserve. It's not enough to have superchargers 100 miles away from a city unless you also have one in the city. You can drive through those cities, you just can't visit them.
Sure you can visit them. There are dozens of places to charge in those cities while visiting them.

Reactions: Chuq
Are there any Tesla owners in Jackson, MS active on the forum? Assuming the Jackson, MS site is successfully commissioned today I expect it will show up on Tesla's map and in the car's navigation tomorrow or Thursday. I'm guessing that is how we are going to find out exactly where it is...

Memphis has -zero- superchargers within 100 miles.

Zero superchargers within 200 miles.

One lonely supercharger within 300 miles.

Tupelo. MS doesn't have a supercharger within 300+ miles, but I've visited it using a public charger.

There's no way to get to or from Memphis using superchargers except from Nashville using a range charge and (depending on weather) driving conservatlvely.

Last edited:
Reactions: purplewalt