Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Jackson TN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that Memphis is all but finished, Jackson is reportedly coming next. Same developer.

As luck would have it, I was walking around at work, noted by a coworker to be "that electric car guy" and proceeded to inform a crowd of inquiring folks. One of them, whom I have never met before, said "You know, I was just driving somewhere around here, I came across a construction site in a parking lot with a whole bunch of electrical wires and a bunch of trenches. I asked one of the workers what it was and he said 'an electrical car charging station.'"

Guy states he thinks he was somewhere between Jackson TN or Paris TN, insists he WASN'T in Memphis. He can't recall, but it was this past weekend. Work then occupied him.

gentleman (and ladies), start your search engines ... Anyone find it?

Reactions: Drucifer
F*CK if true! I'm just home after driving 70 miles each way, and then spending a hour driving around Jackson looking. I found nothing, but didn't stop at Casey Jones.

That being said, I highly doubt it. Casey Jones already has 3 J1772s, been on PlugShare now for ~ 4 years. The chargers are not maintained and are unreliable. Furthermore, Casey Jones isn't in a nice part of town. I did discover that the parking lots of the restaurant's I listed above are all tight. So, immediately adjacent to any of those restaurants is unlikely. I also discovered a strip mall about 1.5 miles north of the I-40 / US-45Bypass intersection where there are several restaurants and a more open parking lot arrangement.

The Tesla chargers are right beside the 3 J1772s in the Casey Jones parking lot in front of the Brooks Shaw's Old Country Store. They still have plastic over them but they are definitely there. I saw them last Sunday when I as in Jackson, TN for my son's soccer tournament.

Jackson, TN

Interstates: I-40
US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-45, US-70, US-412

I-40
To: Knoxville, TN* - 296 miles
Diversion: 1.5 miles
To: Nashville, TN* - 139 miles
To: Asheville, TN - 420 miles
To: Birmingham, AL (US-45, I-22) - 239 miles
To: Minor, MO (US-412, I-155, I-55) - 125 miles

Tupelo, MS now looks like a(n even more) really obvious place for a Supercharger.

* Nashville, TN is closer than Knoxville, TN but has a rather large 10 mile diversion for I-40 travel, so I think of it as being for I-55.

Last edited:
The next question: compulsing over supercharge.info leads me to the deduction that Tesla is currently filling large gaps, 3-4 chargers at a time. Assuming Memphis Jackson and Birmingham are a group of 3, where is the fourth? Tupelo, Decatur, or Marion AR?

@Cozmo , you looked around Tupelo? Any North Alabama guys want to look around (again) I-65 and the TN river? That makes more sense if they are building out from Nashville. Any Memphians driving thru West Memphis and Marion this week?

I think Athens, AL makes the most sensible choice insofar as a Supercharger location around I-65 in north Alabama. It is almost equidistant to the Brentwood, TN and the Birmingham, AL Superchargers and it is located on AL 72 which is a major route to Memphis, TN. I personally think it should be located in the Ruby Tuesdays parking lot located at map coordinates 34.785988, -86.941921

I'm in Tupelo right now about to grab dinner before I finish my truck back home to Birmingham. I didn't have time to fool around with charging today so I rented a car.

I drove around the mall and the shops around. I didn't see anything at all of signs of them putting in a Supercharger.

Until there is a CHAdeMO or Supercharger here or close, I will continue to have to rent a car. I just can't make it to Memphis from Birmingham, and still hit appointments without a charger on the way.

----I also double checked the Nissan dealer for a type 2/CHAdeMO. No dice. A very slow Type 2 is at the Ford dealer though.

About 235 miles from Pelham, AL to the soon to be opened Memphis TN SuC. Yes, the drive has lots of hills, so requires nearly 250 miles of battery to make it. I haven't tried it, but if you hypermile a little, and you have at least a 85, should be able to make it. You have a 85 or larger?

About 235 miles from Pelham, AL to the soon to be opened Memphis TN SuC. Yes, the drive has lots of hills, so requires nearly 250 miles of battery to make it. I haven't tried it, but if you hypermile a little, and you have at least a 85, should be able to make it. You have a 85 or larger?

Yes, I have an S 85. But I need to be able to make appointments when I get there versus going straight to a charger.

I love my Model S, but until they get a Supercharger or CHAdeMO in or around Tupelo, it just won't work.

• Informative
Reactions: CSFTN
Passing through Jack TN. Everything looks in place. I guess waiting on Tesla's final inspection. I guess they can open any day now.

Attachments

• IMG_1384.JPG
    IMG_1384.JPG
    172.6 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_1386.JPG
    IMG_1386.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_1385.JPG
    IMG_1385.JPG
    306.9 KB · Views: 132
Passing through Jack TN. Everything looks in place. I guess waiting on Tesla's final inspection. I guess they can open any day now.
Either they just finished, or Tesla is waiting for other regional chargers to be finished, and turn them on with 1 technician's trip. Memphis? Birmingham? Tupelo?

Anyone know if the Tesla technician who activates the SuC comes in from CA, or the closest service station?
PS I am glad to be proven wrong, as far as doubting this location. Thank you cozmo and corlow!

Last edited:
BTW, it located off exit 80A. Right across from Casey Jones in The Old Country store lot. Loooked like a pretty busy restaurant/gift shop. A couple of cars were park in in supercharger spots. Hope that will not be a problem once they are operational.

I've heard from security guard at Memphis that the chargers here were supposed to be activated Friday. Foreman fell asleep waiting for Tesla representative. So, I'm guessing both Memphis and Jackson will be calibrated and activated today.