Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On April 8, 2016, Tesla began the application process to install an 8-bay supercharger in Jackson, WY. It is planned to be installed in the NW corner of the Jackson Whole Grocer & Cafe parking lot at 1155 South US Highway 89. I've attached a photographic simulation of the finished site.

Although exciting, this is just the beginning of a lengthy administrative process. No approvals have been issued which means the site is tentative and may change. If the necessary approvals are obtained in a timely fashion I would venture to guess the site would be completed sometime in summer of 2017 -- but this is a highly speculative guess.

Let's hope this moves along quickly.

IMG_0578.jpg

Applications aren't posted to the town website (Planning & Building) until they've been submitted to the town council. I just stopped by the town planning & building office and asked if there were any applications with the word "Tesla" in them. :)

They must respond to this application by Sep 1 so it should be posted shortly thereafter.

Reactions: emupilot
Rock Springs is about 175 miles south of Jackson. Maybe this is a harbinger of I-80 being completed across Wyoming. Isn't Jackson-->Evanston a longer drive? Might not be doable in winter with the smaller batteries.

Jackson to Evanston = 192 miles
Jackson to Rock Springs = 178 miles

I don't believe this is any type of harbinger of progress on I-80. I think this is part of their push to open up accessibility to the national parks.

If memory serves, @pox uses his S85D to drive from Riverton, WY to Cheyenne, WY, in the winter, a distance of 272 miles.

Next week I'll be traveling from Jackson to Milwaukee and my best option is to travel via Riverton where I can charge (thanks to @pox) and from there make it to the Lusk SC and then up to the Rapid City SC and then cross the Great Plains on I-90.

Jackson to Riverton = 163 miles
Riverton to Lusk = 225 miles
Lusk to Rapid City = 149 miles

Last edited:
Jackson to Evanston = 192 miles
Jackson to Rock Springs = 178 miles

I don't believe this is any type of harbinger of progress on I-80. I think this is part of their push to open up accessibility to the national parks.

Yabbut, a feller can hope, can't he? Safe passage on your upcoming journey. Watch your speed in SD. About 5 years ago I was pulled over at exit 21 on Interstate 90 for driving 78 in a 75. The trooper had the drug-sniffing K-9. One hour later after all our luggage, ice chests, maps and other personal items were searched and sniffed, he released me with a "warning ticket." Three miles per hour over the posted limit in August? (Come to find out later that the annual biker bash at Sturgis was starting, and they target us Californians because we all smuggle drugs into their fair state and poison their citizens.) Sheesh.

Wait. What? With a handle like @goneskiian why wait until next summer? You should know winter is the best time to be here. ;)

Besides, we have lotsa free Level 2 and destination chargers here.
I should probably change that handle since I don't ski nearly as much as I used to, especially when I lived a couple blocks from Snow King. :D;)

You're probably right, we have a family gathering "on the books" for sure then though. Might have to get back out for some turns at some point though. If I do that trek I'd better get some snow tires on order!

I'm so looking forward to some road trips!

I'm so looking forward to some road trips!

We took delivery of our MS on June 13 and hit the road that same week. Drove over to Morro Bay and followed the Pacific Coast Highway up to Vancouver and then over to Spokane and down to Jackson. This car has been so much fun to drive. The handling, the responsiveness, the quiet ride, not to mention AP & TACC.

Probably the engineer in me, but I love the fact that when driving downhill I'm reclaiming much of the energy I used to climb that hill. And when stuck in stop & go traffic (Vancouver & San Francisco) I'm not pouring noxious gases into the air around me. :)

Enjoy!

Reactions: goneskiian
We took delivery of our MS on June 13 and hit the road that same week. Drove over to Morro Bay and followed the Pacific Coast Highway up to Vancouver and then over to Spokane and down to Jackson. This car has been so much fun to drive. The handling, the responsiveness, the quiet ride, not to mention AP & TACC.

Probably the engineer in me, but I love the fact that when driving downhill I'm reclaiming much of the energy I used to climb that hill. And when stuck in stop & go traffic (Vancouver & San Francisco) I'm not pouring noxious gases into the air around me. :)

Enjoy!
Wow! Nice road trip!

Responded to your PM. Thanks for the message.

Sorry for derailing the Supercharger thread! We'll converse elsewhere now.

Keep us posted on this site's progress!

Maybe with a supercharger in JAC, the rental car companies will make Teslas available. What a way to visit the parks. I rented a Prius when I was there last week. I would love to be able to rent a Tesla out there. Maybe they will put one in Yellowstone in the near future.

John

Reactions: Tedkidd
Can't wait for this site to open - thanks for the update.

A little surprising they are going for those 8 spots as they are frequently used - will likely tick off some folks that have to drive past them - or they will be frequently blocked.

Reactions: Tedkidd
When I drove up to Jackson from Riverton a few weeks ago it was cutting it pretty close on charge, I'm not so sure I could make it in the winter using the heater. We could really use at least a HPWC in Dubois. The way back had lots of range mostly down hill. Glad to see more Supercharging in Wyoming even it they are just barely in Wyoming. Living in the center the new builds on just the edges are killing me. Casper, Rawlins or Rockspring sure would be helpful with at least some 80amp destination chargers would be cool, I feel like it was a bit of a waste buying the dual chargers when the places I need them most are only doing 40amps.

Reactions: ecrsail
A little surprising they are going for those 8 spots as they are frequently used - will likely tick off some folks that have to drive past them - or they will be frequently blocked.

I agree. I sent an email to Tesla making them aware. When I stopped by, all 8 spots were ICE'd and I don't think it was by patrons of Whole Grocer. I watched 2 residents of the apt complex behind the lot park their cars there.