TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Supercharger jam on way to Rose Bowl?

Discussion in 'North America' started by smorgasbord, Jan 9, 2013.

1. smorgasbord

smorgasbord Active Member

Just had my BMW-fanboi co-worker (we tease each other) stop by to tell me about his friend who drove his Model S to the Rose Bowl (from No. CA). Said the expected trip took 9 hours since he had to wait in line behind other Model S's at the Superchargers, in one case having 2 pull in seconds before he did. Everyone was nice about it, but it was a long wait (over an hour). Supposedly he decided to leave early the next morning for the drive home to beat the other cars to the chargers.

If this is happening with only 3,000 cars, what's going to happen when there are 30,000 cars on the roads? Yes, not all in CA, but that's the highest concentration and the LA-SF route is the most popular, and you need two 45 minute charges to make the trip. Right?

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Aside from the part about "Why would anyone want to go to the Rose Bowl?". Tesla road trips are best done on off-peak travel times.

3. Joel

Joel Active Member

This is a very good problem to have. Too many Teslas and too few charging stations...

4. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Does he know which superchargers caused the jam?
    Its widely known that Harris ranch as of late has been a spot for backlogs, since there's only 1 supercharger bay.
    Hopefully we will get some more info on when more will be installed at that location.

5. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I figure Elon will get stuck in a line at a Supercharger and this problem of not enough stations will be quickly resolved.

Just takes once. So if you see him on the road, GET THERE FIRST.

6. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

Easier said then done. :) I seem to remember a tweet from him about getting pulled over going 90mph in his S.

7. Kevin Sharpe

Kevin Sharpe Active Member

IMO we need cars that can charge 'fast' on both AC and DC... then we fill charging locations with a few (expensive) DC chargers and lots (cheap) AC Charging Stations :smile:

8. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

True enough. Interesting point: CHAdeMO chargers can deliver 62.5 kW; the Tesla HPWC or Clipper Creek CS-100 can deliver 19 kW. That's a pretty good fraction.

9. jbloch

jbloch Director

#9 jbloch, Feb 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016