Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Jasper, AB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The description sounds like the purple rectangle below.

5ge1YMp.jpg
My guess would be that the Superchargers would go in the lower quarter of the purple area in your picture with the existing "straight in" spots. Those longer diagonal ones at the top are for RVs. Tesla (and competitors) would take up a good chunk of the "car" spots, not to mention what it would look like during construction. I am surprised at the lack of vehicles present in the picture. I wonder if this is a post-Covid picture since the parking lot and streets are empty. This is a very busy area. A lot of vehicles are typically from the USA and the border is closed right now. If this is not a post-Covid picture I don't have an explanation.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
My guess would be that the Superchargers would go in the lower quarter of the purple area in your picture with the existing "straight in" spots. Those longer diagonal ones at the top are for RVs. Tesla (and competitors) would take up a good chunk of the "car" spots, not to mention what it would look like during construction. I am surprised at the lack of vehicles present in the picture. I wonder if this is a post-Covid picture since the parking lot and streets are empty. This is a very busy area. A lot of vehicles are typically from the USA and the border is closed right now. If this is not a post-Covid picture I don't have an explanation.

Here is a favorite page I have that shows many different mapping tools (sat, etc) for a given location:
https : // geohack.toolforge . org/geohack.php?&params=52_52_51_N_118_4_45_W_
GeoHack (52.880833; -118.079167)

Aside: If you are from TX then how do you know so much about this spot in AB Canada? (FYI, I'm originally from northern MT).

Here is a favorite page I have that shows many different mapping tools (sat, etc) for a given location:
https : // geohack.toolforge . org/geohack.php?&params=52_52_51_N_118_4_45_W_
GeoHack (52.880833; -118.079167)

Aside: If you are from TX then how do you know so much about this spot in AB Canada? (FYI, I'm originally from northern MT).
I grew up in Manitoba but I have a little history with the area. I used to live in Red Deer, Edmonton, Grande Prairie, and spent a lot of time in the parks. I've backpacked about 6000km in my life, about half of it in this area. Almost every trail from Jasper to Banff (although most in the Siffleur and White Goat Wilderness areas to the East of Saskatchewan River Crossing. Almost died there in an argument with a bear.). In the winter I also used to ski a lot, just about every ski hill in Alberta and BC.

Some of my ancestors and relatives worked in the area. My grandfather's brother worked construction for the railroad and helped build the railroad hotels in the area. Banff Springs Hotel. Lake Louise. Jasper. Maybe the Jasper park information center. I think he's buried in Trail BC (will have to look it up, maybe it is Golden.). When you see handiwork that is from somebody you know, you notice details a little more.

Banff too. My best friend in college had relatives in Banff who were some of the formative members of the town. We spent a lot of time there and could get in to things when the area was at capacity or closed.

Last edited:
I'm confused - what's the reference to working with the town of Edson? Are they putting chargers there too?

It's 205 km (125 mi) from the Supercharger in Edmonton, Alberta to the town of Edson, about the ideal leg for a road trip.

Edmonton to Jasper however is 370 km (220 mi) so too far for a Model 3 SR+ during the Winter, with snowy roads increasing rolling resistance, and use of the resistive heater further reducing range.

Edmonton -> Edson -> Jasper via Supercharger gets you to your mountain ski holiday, or links to the BC Hydro L3 / Chademo network (British Columbia), with existing stations on the Yellowhead route (Hwy 16) at Mt. Robson, Valemont, and Mc Bride.

Hopefully BC Hydro adds L3 chargers at Prince George and Williams Lake, so Tesla's can reconnect to the SuC Network at Cache Creek, BC then continue onto the existing TransCanada (Hwy 1) SuC route.

Yeah, that's a grand tour I'd like to make in the Summer of 2021. :)

Cheers!

Reactions: MarcoRP and XHabjab
Jaspers local paper said council approved the designated parking area for chargers!
Exciting news and hopefully this won’t take too long.
The Jasper Fitzhugh - Thursday, July 16, 2020
(H/T to Krs1 on SC.info forum for finding this) Here's a link to a Jasper municipal doc that contains the specifics on Tesla's proposal. (see page 25)

My big takeaways are:
  • Project is contingent on a successful grant application.
  • 8 V3 supercharger stalls & 3 CCS/CHAdeMO fast chargers (of unspecified power) all to be supplied/installed by Tesla.
  • Sounds like Tesla would own and operate the CCS/CHAdeMO stations, too. Including covering all the electrical costs.
  • Tesla can charge a fee for use of the chargers.
A bit disappointing that even with municipal approval this is still far from a done deal due to the project's reliance on a successful grant application. It doesn't mention who would be providing the grant, but my guess is NRCan. Also, I think this is the first time that I've heard/seen Tesla proposing to actually install and potentially operate CCS/CHAdeMO charging stations. I know they've paid for/done all the electrical infrastructure work to support DC fast chargers put in by others alongside superchargers before. And they have done exactly what is proposed for Level 2 J1772 stations. But I think this is the first for 3rd party DC fast chargers. I wonder how competitively they'll be priced.

(H/T to Krs1 on SC.info forum for finding this) Here's a link to a Jasper municipal doc that contains the specifics on Tesla's proposal. (see page 25)

My big takeaways are:
  • Project is contingent on a successful grant application.
  • 8 V3 supercharger stalls & 3 CCS/CHAdeMO fast chargers (of unspecified power) all to be supplied/installed by Tesla.
  • Sounds like Tesla would own and operate the CCS/CHAdeMO stations, too. Including covering all the electrical costs.
  • Tesla can charge a fee for use of the chargers.
A bit disappointing that even with municipal approval this is still far from a done deal due to the project's reliance on a successful grant application. It doesn't mention who would be providing the grant, but my guess is NRCan. Also, I think this is the first time that I've heard/seen Tesla proposing to actually install and potentially operate CCS/CHAdeMO charging stations. I know they've paid for/done all the electrical infrastructure work to support DC fast chargers put in by others alongside superchargers before. And they have done exactly what is proposed for Level 2 J1772 stations. But I think this is the first for 3rd party DC fast chargers. I wonder how competitively they'll be priced.
Nice job on the takeaways/summary.
_
UdzqMUl.jpg

_
0fprpdR.jpg

_
xAyl25i.jpg

_
7p0am3m.jpg

Hey, any updates if they decided to go through with it? I'm planning a trip to Jasper with my MS and I'm trying to figure out the charging I need.
The town gave approval but the project is still contingent on Tesla getting grant money. There wasn't any information on who would be giving out the grants--I am guessing it is NRCan, though--nor when such a grant application might be made nor an expected date for a decision on whether it was approved/denied. So, the timeline moving forward is pretty opaque without having some insight into the particulars of that element. If the trip you're planning is for this year, plan for there not being a supercharger.

FYI I may have already mentioned this but West of Jasper are 2 new 25kw DC Fast chargers and 4 7.2 kw chargers at Mt Robson, I just finished working with the contractor to test them out. This is about 65km west of Jasper:
PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

Going West of Jasper you are pretty musch all set (with multiple options to charge along the way) until you reach Prince George (which is where I live) but even PG is getting a 50kw BC Hydro charging soon.

FYI I may have already mentioned this but West of Jasper are 2 new 25kw DC Fast chargers and 4 7.2 kw chargers at Mt Robson, I just finished working with the contractor to test them out. This is about 65km west of Jasper:
PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

Going West of Jasper you are pretty musch all set (with multiple options to charge along the way) until you reach Prince George (which is where I live) but even PG is getting a 50kw BC Hydro charging soon.
I think I'll stop at the Golden SC next drive to Jasper, I should make it in 1 go.

I think I'll stop at the Golden SC next drive to Jasper, I should make it in 1 go.

Golden has a really nice location with a park (I stopped there last week too) but be aware according to Plugshare 2 of the 4 chargers aren't working - only 2 A/B are working. May have changed now but wanted to give you a heads up.

Also, the Tesla App showed me 2 chargers were active as I was pulling up so I thought I was going to have to wait but only 1 other person was there charging when I arrived.

Reactions: Vancity-Tes1a
I've driven from Prince George, BC to Calgary area and back again via the Ice Fields highway (
), and its a piece of cake. Currently, the slowest charger was Jasper (which only has the 9kw chargers currently) but now that Mt Robson has 25kw chargers 86km away that should make it even better!

I can’t seem to find any chargers on the plug share app in Mt. Robson.
Are you sure they’re active. ?