Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Jasper, AB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was there last weekend and nothing going on at all for Superchargers, only 4 of those Tesla Wall chargers at the train station (about 10kw)
However less than 100 km away at Mt Robson, BC there are two 25kw chargers open during non winter months, I charged at both locations last weekend. Note there is no cell service at Mt Robson.

• Informative
Reactions: corywright
From Electric Vehicle Association of Alberta facebook forum, apparently Jasper started construction this week.

1625250900780.png

From Electric Vehicle Association of Alberta facebook forum, apparently Jasper started construction this week.

View attachment 680741
I can confirm that there is what looks like utility construction happening in the area, no indication that it related to the super chargers. Will try to grab some pictures tomorrow on our way out of town.

The site still shows its status as PERMIT and not construction, all locations that have been under construction had their statuses change to construction on the supercharge.info site: supercharge.info
I think we need some confirmation still. @YEG EV above said there is something going on, but not necessarily related to Tesla. Once we have some reasonable confirmation of that, @MarcoRP will update the supercharge site.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
I think we need some confirmation still. @YEG EV above said there is something going on, but not necessarily related to Tesla. Once we have some reasonable confirmation of that, @MarcoRP will update the supercharge site.
@MarcoRP
Transformers are installed, Supercharger equipment is at the contractors getting staged for installation.
Photos from Electric Vehicle Association of Alberta facebook group
217441169_10221934412644108_1171998408139067936_n.jpg

Attachments

• 217359730_10221934413044118_7010354557921625534_n.jpg
    217359730_10221934413044118_7010354557921625534_n.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
New entry to NRcan.gc.ca.

Related to this existing permit site for superchargers. Looks like they will be a charging hub for everyone

ProponentProjectNRCan FundingNRCan Funding ProgramProvinceAddressStatus
ZAAP Charge Inc.2 electric vehicle fast-charging stations$100,000Green Infrastructure - Phase 2AlbertaEast side of Connaught Drive at Balsam Avenue (Public Parking Lot), Jasper, ABUnder construction

New entry to NRcan.gc.ca.

Related to this existing permit site for superchargers. Looks like they will be a charging hub for everyone

ProponentProjectNRCan FundingNRCan Funding ProgramProvinceAddressStatus
ZAAP Charge Inc.2 electric vehicle fast-charging stations$100,000Green Infrastructure - Phase 2AlbertaEast side of Connaught Drive at Balsam Avenue (Public Parking Lot), Jasper, ABUnder construction

All the supercharger locations built with the help of NRCAN funding need to have 25% of the chargers dedicated to Chademo/CCS. You will see many Tesla supercharger locations with Non Tesla chargers right beside them. This will be great for EV adoption.

Reactions: bolero
All the supercharger locations built with the help of NRCAN funding need to have 25% of the chargers dedicated to Chademo/CCS. You will see many Tesla supercharger locations with Non Tesla chargers right beside them. This will be great for EV adoption.
The Tesla installation (11 charging stations) already includes the 25% as it is 8 Superchargers and 3 Flo CCS/CHAdeMO.

The Zaap Charge installation is another independent installation of 2 CCS/CHAdeMO charging stations, other than it will be using the upgraded site power infrastructure that was required to be brought in for the high power DC charging for Tesla and other charging providers to be located at this site.

Fantastic! It will be a challenge to reach Jasper from Canmore or Golden. Another supercharger is needed especially the models with less than 300 mile range. Tesla findus doesn't show any new planned construction. What are the possible locations? In 2019 I could not safely make it to the Columbia Ice Field and back from Canmore in my 2016 MX.

Reactions: PStewart
Fantastic! It will be a challenge to reach Jasper from Canmore or Golden. Another supercharger is needed especially the models with less than 300 mile range. Tesla findus doesn't show any new planned construction. What are the possible locations? In 2019 I could not safely make it to the Columbia Ice Field and back from Canmore in my 2016 MX.

That comment didn't make sense to me until I tried it in ABRP with my vehicle. It is < 200 miles but a bit of a climb during parts of it.

G0Cwgfb.jpg

RHB7Leq.jpg

There's no grid power at all between Lake Louise and Jasper, so no way for Tesla to put in a Supercharger.
Both Columbia Icefield Glacier Discovery Centre and Saskatchewan River Crossing are off the grid and are powered entirely by local fossil-fuel based generation.

Saskatchewan River Crossing does have two Sun Country J1772 chargers, although one seems to be perpetually broken,

And there isn't enough remaining capacity at Lake Louise to put in multiple stalls of a Supercharger either, or for that matter probably not even enough for a single stall of a V3. And they have no plans for Level 3 charging other than the newly installed destination chargers.

Note that with a smaller battery Tesla you could do a slight detour to Field to the BC Hydro charger along the way if you have a CHAdeMO or CCS adapter.

There's no grid power at all between Lake Louise and Jasper, so no way for Tesla to put in a Supercharger.
Both Columbia Icefield Glacier Discovery Centre and Saskatchewan River Crossing are off the grid and are powered entirely by local fossil-fuel based generation.
I'd like to see Tesla try one off-grid Supercharger somewhere (like Crystal Springs, Nevada). A megapack and a lot of solar panels. Starlink for wifi.