Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Jasper, AB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay... So the council minutes have now been posted on the Jasper site. From the Dec. 17th, 2019 meeting:
Council gave notice that a request for decision regarding a Jasper electric vehicle charging station will return at a future meeting. Administration presented a report proposing a joint effort by the Municipality of Jasper, Tesla and ATCO, with an open invitation to other EV charger providers to work together to bring Level 3 EV charging to Jasper.

This item will be discussed further at a future committee of the whole meeting.

We are not quite at the permit stage yet!

Page 9 of the Jan 14th, 2020 agenda (https://www.jasper-alberta.com/ArchiveCenter/ViewFile/Item/825) shows a proposal that "Council designate the South end of the Connaught Municipal parking lot across from Robinsons as the location for EV charging stations for a 15 year period, expiring at the end of 2035. ... 8 Tesla Level 3 Superchargers will be installed by Tesla, this is their equipment and will be removed after 15 years if the agreement is not renewed." Additional Level 3 (CCS and CHAdeMO) and level 2 (J1772) are being proposed as well. A decision date for this has yet to be determined.

I wonder if it is no coincidence that this is just after the ATCO Electric Jasper Interconnection Project built new power lines.
Nice. This page looks like it is complete: ATCO | Jasper Interconnection

THE PROJECT
The Jasper Interconnection Project is an electricity transmission project that connects Jasper to Alberta’s grid, allowing for safe and reliable electricity for the 5,000 permanent residents and 20,000 daily summer visitors. The line consists of 45 km of 69-kilovolt (kV) transmission line within the Park, connected to another new 69-kV transmission line located outside of the Park. It also includes a planned new substation to be located within the existing Palisades Power Plant site, just outside of the Town of Jasper.

Following the energization of the new powerline, ATCO will decommission the Palisades Power Plant, remove the equipment and perform reclamation at the site.
May 11, 2019 - Facilities complete and operating
June 2019 - Palisades Power Plant decommissioned and reclamation activities underway

Also hotels are notorious for restrictions on supercharging and on numerous occasions I've seen valets block up supercharger stalls or restrict usage.

I have to agree with your sir on this statement.

Almost No ONE uses the Whistler BC TSC under the Fairmont Hotel for just that reason, they are always ICE'ed out.

When my wife and I go skiing up their we always Supercharge at Squamish TSC, and enjoy a nice breakfast at one of the mall eateries while we are topping up.

An 80% recharge at Squamish will get us into Whistler and back, and have enough on board to spare to run Sentry Mode all day in the cold.

Food for thought.
Cheers, Hugh-SG

Getting back on Topic, I am also excited by the prospects of a Jasper TSC.

I do hope the Jasper TSC is complimented with a pair of TSC's on the Yellowhead Highway (BC Hwy 5) north of Kamloops, with one half way to Valemont and one in Valemont itself, (Valemont is just a few kilometers south of where Hwy 16 from Prince George meets up with Hwy 5 from Kamloops).

It is a really scenic drive but unless you have a ChAdMo adapter for using the DC QC', it is a long drive with lengthy recharges at the Level 2's along the route.

Food for thought,
Cheers, Hugh-SG

Reactions: Vancity-Tes1a
I do hope the Jasper TSC is complimented with a pair of TSC's on the Yellowhead Highway (BC Hwy 5) north of Kamloops, with one half way to Valemont and one in Valemont itself, (Valemont is just a few kilometers south of where Hwy 16 from Prince George meets up with Hwy 5 from Kamloops).

I totally agree ... Valemount seems like the logical location. Another charger in Clearwater, BC would be great too - as the distance from Kamloops to Valemount is 320 km. In the winter, that distance would be borderline with the cold and snow! I plan to drive this highway in July ... At least there are a couple of destination chargers in Blue River.

I have to agree with your sir on this statement.

Almost No ONE uses the Whistler BC TSC under the Fairmont Hotel for just that reason, they are always ICE'ed out.

When my wife and I go skiing up their we always Supercharge at Squamish TSC, and enjoy a nice breakfast at one of the mall eateries while we are topping up.

An 80% recharge at Squamish will get us into Whistler and back, and have enough on board to spare to run Sentry Mode all day in the cold.

Food for thought.
Cheers, Hugh-SG
Yeah the Whistler charger is a complete mess, the Squamish SC is a much nicer place to stop and have a quick break while getting a quick bite at Boston Pizza, Starbucks, or Subway.

I totally agree ... Valemount seems like the logical location. Another charger in Clearwater, BC would be great too - as the distance from Kamloops to Valemount is 320 km. In the winter, that distance would be borderline with the cold and snow! I plan to drive this highway in July ... At least there are a couple of destination chargers in Blue River.

I'm not convinced that Valemount is the best location in that area. My choice would be in (or nearer) Tête Jaune Cache, because that way it's conveniently placed for people driving south on Hwy 5 and people driving north on Hwy 16. That said, at least Valemount shows some sign of settlement!

I totally agree about a Supercharger in Clearwater though.

• Love
Reactions: CalBlue 85D
Tesla has been sending emails out to some Alberta owners asking for comments and video comments regarding the proposed Jasper Supercharger, presumably looking to support their proposal to the municipal government.

If you have any comments on this specific Supercharger site, they welcome it on their new engagetesla.com site (link below).

From time to time we get requests from customers to build new Superchargers in exciting new locations. One location we’ve seen requests for is in Jasper, Alberta. Subject to Municipal approval, Tesla may have the opportunity to develop a Supercharger in Jasper.

If you support the development of a Supercharger in Jasper, please let us know by sending Tesla a video message or comment in the link below. Tesla wants to hear from you about whether you think there should be a Supercharger in Jasper and why it matters to you.

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT
Thank you for all your support.

Best Regards,
Tesla Policy Team​

Link goes to:
Support Tesla’s Proposal for a Supercharger in Jasper, Alberta

Tesla has been sending emails out to some Alberta owners asking for comments and video comments regarding the proposed Jasper Supercharger, presumably looking to support their proposal to the municipal government.

If you have any comments on this specific Supercharger site, they welcome it on their new engagetesla.com site (link below).

From time to time we get requests from customers to build new Superchargers in exciting new locations. One location we’ve seen requests for is in Jasper, Alberta. Subject to Municipal approval, Tesla may have the opportunity to develop a Supercharger in Jasper.

If you support the development of a Supercharger in Jasper, please let us know by sending Tesla a video message or comment in the link below. Tesla wants to hear from you about whether you think there should be a Supercharger in Jasper and why it matters to you.

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT

Best Regards,
Tesla Policy Team​

Link goes to:
Done...
I used to live in Alberta and visited Jasper many times. It is a realistic location for a visit from me in my Tesla.

Reactions: scottf200
I'm in Manitoba and got an email from Tesla that also suggested commenting about Jasper.

After signing up, you will have the opportunity to show your support for an important prospective Tesla Supercharging project in Jasper, Alberta. Subject to Municipal approval, Tesla may have the opportunity to develop a Supercharger in Jasper. Tesla wants to hear from you about whether you think there should be a Supercharger in Jasper and why it matters to you.

Best Regards,
Tesla Policy Team

I'm not convinced that Valemount is the best location in that area. My choice would be in (or nearer) Tête Jaune Cache, because that way it's conveniently placed for people driving south on Hwy 5 and people driving north on Hwy 16. That said, at least Valemount shows some sign of settlement!

I totally agree about a Supercharger in Clearwater though.

Thank you for your thoughts richteer. I initially was thinking of Tête Jaune Cache and the highway junction myself as the logical place.

I moved my suggestion south to Valemont after reviewing the available facilities like shops, food establishments and a good motel. The folks who have put in Lvl-2 chargers up that end also came to the same conclusion as they are all in Valemont and not up at the Tête Jaune Cache highway junction.

Motels and diner-restaurants, shops within walking distance appears to be the main criteria in making a Lvl-2, DC-QC or TSC viable.

Thank you again richteer for your thoughts, I always welcome a constructive but different point of view.

Cheers!
Hugh-SG

• Love
Reactions: scottf200

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT

Best Regards,
Tesla Policy Team​

Link goes to:

Yes, I saw this page - I even got a solicitation to comment in an email from Tesla Policy Team.
I'd love to leave a comment, but I'm not a big fan of randomly signing up and providing personal details for websites I have no intention of regularly visiting.

I think a charger in Jasper is a great idea. I think one in Lake Louise would be good too, to make the route through the Rockies more do-able.

Thank you for your thoughts richteer. I initially was thinking of Tête Jaune Cache and the highway junction myself as the logical place.

I moved my suggestion south to Valemont after reviewing the available facilities like shops, food establishments and a good motel. The folks who have put in Lvl-2 chargers up that end also came to the same conclusion as they are all in Valemont and not up at the Tête Jaune Cache highway junction.

Motels and diner-restaurants, shops within walking distance appears to be the main criteria in making a Lvl-2, DC-QC or TSC viable.

Thank you again richteer for your thoughts, I always welcome a constructive but different point of view.

Cheers!
Hugh-SG

Yes, although Valemont is more logical purely on a convenience on the roads basis, Valemont is definitely the better choice from a practical point of view.

I looks like Tesla is also looking for support from Tesla owners who live in other locations but still support the idea of a supecharger in Jasper. Apparently 99 comments have been collected so far ... these will be shared with the Municipality of Jasper as they consider Tesla’s proposal.

Link: Support Tesla’s Proposal for a Supercharger in Jasper, Alberta

• Informative
Reactions: richteer