Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Jasper, AB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Flo are CCS and Chademo which are both L2 DCFC (Direct Current Fast Charger), as far as I know there is no L3 standard, just L1 & L2 for AC charging and L1 & L2 for DC charging.

I am sure these chargers are considered L3 standards.

Level 3 Connectors

For fast charging, the CHAdeMO and SAE Combo (also called CCS for “Combo Charging System”) are the most used connectors by electric cars manufacturers.

Its just a matter of semantics. DC fast charging is not "officially" called Level 3 charging, but people commonly call DC fast charging Level 3 anyways, so that has stuck even though it isn't officially called that - in much the same fashion that the wall connector is officially termed "Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE)" but many people commonly call it a "charger" while it doesn't actually do any charging or voltage conversion - the "charger" is onboard the car.
Level 1 and 2 are the Level 1 and 2 AC charging from J1772, and while J1772 has Level 1 and 2 DC charging, no manufacturers actually used it. People just carried on with "Level 3" being faster than "Level 2".

Confirmed by communicating with Jasper Ian that he did charge his Model 3 today.
I will post some pictures tomorrow when i charge there.
We're eagerly anticipating your on the ground report (with pictures!). I'm surprised this one is marked as "open" on supercharge.info. Doesn't seem like there's enough evidence in this thread. Maybe there's better evidence elsewhere.

Its on the on-car navigation
We're eagerly anticipating your on the ground report (with pictures!). I'm surprised this one is marked as "open" on supercharge.info. Doesn't seem like there's enough evidence in this thread. Maybe there's better evidence elsewhere.
There's a photo earlier on in the thread, it's on the in-car navigation and the Flo network has the CCS/CHAdeMO charging stations commissioned and available. The same tech commissions the Superchargers and the Flo chargers.

1634944388078.png

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Its on the on-car navigation

There's a photo earlier on in the thread, it's on the in-car navigation and the Flo network has the CCS/CHAdeMO charging stations commissioned and available. The same tech commissions the Superchargers and the Flo chargers.

View attachment 724468
I'm not particularly interested in the Flo chargers.

It's listed as Temporary Closure in the Nav.

The only evidence I've seen that it's open is a one line comment on Plugshare with no pictures. That's flimsy at best.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger

Level 3 Connectors

For fast charging, the CHAdeMO and SAE Combo (also called CCS for “Combo Charging System”) are the most used connectors by electric cars manufacturers.

Sadly, that website contains a bunch of nonsense. There is no widely accepted definition of L3, and they have L1 and L2 described incorrectly. Tesla, Chademo and North American CCS are considered DCFC but not (really) L3.

Looks like Chargehub is making up their own definitions, likely for some egotistical purpose.

Edit: I posted this before seeing the better version of it by @Xelloss99 above. See his post above.

Last edited:
I've always considered it to be (at least in North America):

Level 1 is AC 120v charging (normal wall socket)
Level 2 is AC 208v/240v charging.
Level 3 is any DC. Could be 15kW, could be 300kW, but if that car is being fed DC direct to the battery, instead of rectifying AC to DC using its onboard chargers, its L3.

I think this Temporary Closure thing is probably a glitch, but it's really hard to say with a new supercharger. It is something that has been happening seemingly at random for the last couple months. I recently took a 34,000km road trip and I would estimate that about 3% of the superchargers were listed as Temporary Closure, but only one of them was actually closed (Metarie, Louisiana after Hurricane Ida). Another 1% of the superchargers would just disappear from the Nav entirely. I tried a couple of those and they were functioning just as they usually do.

FWIW, I went out to my car in my driveway last night to check on the status of Jasper. When I first looked it was not there. This is not unusual for a new supercharger as the maps don't get updated for every car at the exact same time. After doing a scroll wheel reset, the supercharger appeared on the map as a functioning supercharger. Then I looked again like 5 minutes later and it said Temporary Closure. Now, a day later I went out and looked again and it's showing up as a normal functioning supercharger again. So who knows?

I think this Temporary Closure thing is probably a glitch, but it's really hard to say with a new supercharger. It is something that has been happening seemingly at random for the last couple months. I recently took a 34,000km road trip and I would estimate that about 3% of the superchargers were listed as Temporary Closure, but only one of them was actually closed (Metarie, Louisiana after Hurricane Ida). Another 1% of the superchargers would just disappear from the Nav entirely. I tried a couple of those and they were functioning just as they usually do.

FWIW, I went out to my car in my driveway last night to check on the status of Jasper. When I first looked it was not there. This is not unusual for a new supercharger as the maps don't get updated for every car at the exact same time. After doing a scroll wheel reset, the supercharger appeared on the map as a functioning supercharger. Then I looked again like 5 minutes later and it said Temporary Closure. Now, a day later I went out and looked again and it's showing up as a normal functioning supercharger again. So who knows?
Thsed photos are from today. I have had similar experience about new superchargers having a lag time to appear on Navigation. The only disadvantage is preconditioning of battery which does not happen as its not on Navigation

Attachments

• 20211023_163842.jpg
    20211023_163842.jpg
    678.9 KB · Views: 92
  • 20211023_164256.jpg
    20211023_164256.jpg
    578.7 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Reactions: mociaf9 and Chuq
Thsed photos are from today. I have had similar experience about new superchargers having a lag time to appear on Navigation. The only disadvantage is preconditioning of battery which does not happen as its not on Navigation
Thanks for checking and replying. I have been waiting for these superchargers for a few years now. It is great to see this site being operational now. After waiting for Tesla to install some superchargers for years I sent out this tweet in frustration. Four months later news came out about Tesla being talks with the town of Jasper and now after 2 years and 2 months it is live😍 🥳🥳. I don't usually makes trip to Jasper in the fall, but if Lloydminster come online I might just drive out there.
jsprtweet.jpg

Thanks for checking and replying. I have been waiting for these superchargers for a few years now. It is great to see this site being operational now. After waiting for Tesla to install some superchargers for years I sent out this tweet in frustration. Four months later news came out about Tesla being talks with the town of Jasper and now after 2 years and 2 months it is live😍 🥳🥳. I don't usually makes trip to Jasper in the fall, but if Lloydminster come online I might just drive out there. View attachment 724932
Great Job for sending out the Tweet. This is my first visit to Jasper since owning Tesla from 2016.Rest assured the Jasper Tesla superchargers are all full functional.

Sure, there is always a lag in getting it in the Nav. That is however different from what the previous poster was talking about where the supercharger is in the Nav but labeled as Temporary Closure.

Reactions: Chuq