Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Jim Thorpe, PA - Hickory Run Service Plaza

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Southbound - would a meter go here?

Can't test chargers but bagged cabinets and lack of red lights suggests no juice.

Attachments

• 162164002929011844629921478840.jpg
    162164002929011844629921478840.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 71
  • Informative
Reactions: BagheeraNY
If you notice the small box between the two bigger ones and the right hand beige box, that's the power switch feeding the communications box (the one on the right). If that's off, there is no control/telemetry and the site is off-line. The white boxes are the disconnects for the cabinets. You also didn't show the meter. With less than 1 week to memorial day, I wouldn't count on it.

Reactions: Craig_in_PA
Drove by yesterday. Still not live. Someone has to explain to me the location choice here. It's on a toll road that doesn't allow turnarounds so if I'm coming across 80 and need a charge. I need to go south on a toll road, stop charge, and then proceed further south to turn around? There is a WaWa just a few miles north of this plaza at the junction of 80 and 476. Why not there for a location?

Drove by yesterday. Still not live. Someone has to explain to me the location choice here. It's on a toll road that doesn't allow turnarounds so if I'm coming across 80 and need a charge. I need to go south on a toll road, stop charge, and then proceed further south to turn around? There is a WaWa just a few miles north of this plaza at the junction of 80 and 476. Why not there for a location?
The supercharger isn't intended to remedy a general lack of supercharging in this area, it's intended to serve the very specific need for a supercharger along the toll road that doesn't require people driving on it to exit the turnpike in order to access charging. If you aren't getting on or already on the turnpike anyway, you aren't really an intended/expected user of this station.

This is the only picture I took. Looking back, I should have taken it from the other angle looking at the plaza. It was nice to have the stop at the travel plaza. Right off the road and a place to sit down that's weather protected. I'm not sure if the restrooms are 24/7, but I'd hope so since it's a travel plaza.
IMG_2284.JPG

Reactions: PStewart
That's just how Pennsylvania set's up their toll roads. Always has been.
I was legit surprised to see Tesla installing superchargers in rest stops again. After the 3 on I95 were built years ago, there weren't any more for several years, but now NJ, IN, and PA are getting them. The conflict has always been serving locals vs. travelers. As more superchargers come online, the conflict is reduced.

I was legit surprised to see Tesla installing superchargers in rest stops again. After the 3 on I95 were built years ago, there weren't any more for several years, but now NJ, IN, and PA are getting them. The conflict has always been serving locals vs. travelers. As more superchargers come online, the conflict is reduced.
I partially assume that PA turnpike commission wouldn't value Tesla chargers at first.

But yes, drop in a 16x at a supermarket in King of Prussia (locals++), then e-w turnpike and n-s turnpike (travellers).