Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just found out that the Superchargers at the Hilton Doubletree (former Hotel Joplin) should be up and running when the new hotel opens.
So...July 2017?!?

DoubleTree by Hilton Joplin, MO Hotel
2016-11-21_1358.png

Hopefully it will be up and running way before July 2017.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Joplin, MO

Interstates: I-44, I-49
US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): None

I-44:
To: Springfield, MO - 72.5 milesTo
Diversion: 1.2 miles
To: Rolla, MO - 177 miles

I-49:
To: End (I-435 near Kansas City, MO) - 149 miles
Diversion: 8 miles

To: Council Bluffs, IA (I-44, I-49, US-71, I-29) - 340 miles
To: Wichita, KS (I-44, US-400) - 201 miles
To: Salina, KS (I-44, US-400, KS-196, I-135) - 284 miles
To: Topeka, KS (I-49, I-435, KS-10, I-70, I-470) - 224 miles

A good site. Shame about the wait. I hope they'll have it up and running once the major structure of the hotel is done.

IMG_9864.JPG

I stopped by the Joplin SC location today on my way south and spoke to a guy who said that he had seen a Tesla charging on all of the stalls last week. He spoke to the driver and was told they were testing the chargers. There is a meter in place, so I find this to be believable. I would have taken a picture but some construction guys asked me not to;2 they were cleaning up the area around the chargers and said they would be removing the fencing soon. The person I spoke to told me that the Supercharger is next to what was a cafeteria (maybe for the old Joplin Hotel). I marked up a satellite picture to help explain. The little circle on the left is where the Supercharger is, the X is I believe no longer there from what I saw, and the rectangle to the east/right is approximately where I saw the new Hilton DoubleTree sitting. Anyway I don't want to give false hope but it seems likely that this location will open much sooner than July 2017. :)

We used the Joplin Supercharger this past weekend. Worked great. Only issue is we arrived well after dark and as the construction is not yet complete on the new hotel, there is no lighting in the area at all. I don't think this is an unsafe area, and the other hotel is just across the parking lot, but it is pretty dark and spooky when you're there by yourself.

Hotel is under heavy construction. Supercharger is open but hard to find and the area is sketchy enough that I was questioned by a cop as to what I was doing (he "didn't even know what those things were", referring to the chargers themselves). Super nice guy though and now he knows a bit more about Teslas!

Reactions: JClu
This is my review of this SpC location based on our recent trip:

Location - terrible! It's about 5 minutes off I-44, but the SCs are physically located in the parking lot of a defunct hotel. There are no clear signs...I drove around finding it solely based on the pin on the Tesla MCU.

Charging rate - excellent. This is about the only positive thing for this SC location.

Facilities - basically non-existent. Again, the hotel that these SCs are attached to are deserted. There are no restaurants nearby unless you walk more than 10 minutes. Bathrooms? Let's just say we shamefully used the bathroom of the Marriott Residence Inn across the road (we weren't registered guests with them) because there was no other choice.

Overall - giving it 2 out of 5 stars for the location / accommodation (did I mention they are terrible?) but good charging rate. Would avoid these SCs if possible.

Each time I visit the Joplin SpC I think of making this post, and I forget. So here it is:

PLEASE BEWARE OF NAILS/SCREWS NEAR THIS SpC.

I have personally seen (and disposed off) 5 screws/nails/bolts which can easily pierce a tire. I try and scan for these while charging and dispose them in the trash bin at the end of the lot. Drive carefully when approaching and try and see where the white van is parked and then follow the path you think it took to reduce your chances of an expensive SpC stop. Scanning the road while approaching is also a good idea but it can be hard to detect objects of this small size.

Reactions: bluefuego and JClu
This is my review of this SpC location based on our recent trip:

Location - terrible! It's about 5 minutes off I-44, but the SCs are physically located in the parking lot of a defunct hotel. There are no clear signs...I drove around finding it solely based on the pin on the Tesla MCU.

Charging rate - excellent. This is about the only positive thing for this SC location.

Facilities - basically non-existent. Again, the hotel that these SCs are attached to are deserted. There are no restaurants nearby unless you walk more than 10 minutes. Bathrooms? Let's just say we shamefully used the bathroom of the Marriott Residence Inn across the road (we weren't registered guests with them) because there was no other choice.

Overall - giving it 2 out of 5 stars for the location / accommodation (did I mention they are terrible?) but good charging rate. Would avoid these SCs if possible.
It can't be more than 2 minutes off of I-44 and the Cheddars is no more than a 2 minute walk away. Sam's Club is maybe 3-5 minutes. And there are another 3-4 good dining options maybe 5 minutes walk away.

I-44 is the large road to the south on this map. Currently, with the hotel under renovation, the location is not great, I agree. But your estimation of time and distance is just not acurate or fair.

Joplin SC map.gif

Each time I visit the Joplin SpC I think of making this post, and I forget. So here it is:

PLEASE BEWARE OF NAILS/SCREWS NEAR THIS SpC.

Here is another report on this. My father just drove through here Friday morning (4/21/17). He found 2 screws in one tire which weren't discovered until Springfield. He had it plugged in Springfield and continued on to St. Louis. I have advised him to skip this supercharger on his way back to ABQ.

Here is another report on this. My father just drove through here Friday morning (4/21/17). He found 2 screws in one tire which weren't discovered until Springfield. He had it plugged in Springfield and continued on to St. Louis. I have advised him to skip this supercharger on his way back to ABQ.

oh, that is unfortunate! With Springfield as an option, I, too, try and avoid that this SpC until the construction is complete, not to mention, the Springfield location is so much better!

Stopped here on labor day. Even though I was the only car there, I was getting reduced charge speed of less than 60Kw. Cheddars is short walk across a nearby parking lot and there's a bathroom at the residence inn that you can use if you need it.

I've been to over 300 superchargers in the US and Canada and this is the worst location yet. And I'm here during the day. Can't even imagine what it would feel like after dark. And now I'm reading this thread and about to go hunt for nails and screws in my tires :-(