Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Joplin, MO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That used to always be the case but it seems with the latest Supercharger map update last month, Tesla sometimes puts pins in a different location. If you look at the Denver - East, CO or Mountain Village, CO Supercharger pins, you'll notice they don't actually follow the old "centered above city name" rule and might give a better hint as to where the Supercharger will be located. Other Colorado locations (Silverthorne, Lakewood, Monument, Westminster, Alamosa) pins continue to be centered above the city name.

Good info. This explains my confusion with the Rochelle, Il. pin at a site that goes against Supercharger location logic.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
It looks like construction has begun at the supercharger. I live right around the corner basically, so I’ll provide updates as it progresses.

Attachments

• E2E3FAC8-77E2-4CD1-A5E8-4BB1F7C55B3E.jpeg
    E2E3FAC8-77E2-4CD1-A5E8-4BB1F7C55B3E.jpeg
    684.9 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
May be traveling through Joplin area on an upcoming road trip and had to ask... what's the issue with the older/existing site that makes it creepy?
It's located in the parking lot of an abandoned, run down hotel and its pretty secluded. Not too bad during the day but if you pulled up for the first time late at night you'll understand. Not much within walking distance so you cant multitask while charging. The new location will be in a gas station lot so you can make use of your time charging with a bathroom or snack break. Here is a good video:

• Informative
Reactions: CarlS and Rocky_H
May be traveling through Joplin area on an upcoming road trip and had to ask... what's the issue with the older/existing site that makes it creepy?
Read the thread for the existing Supercharger here: Supercharger - Joplin, MO

Basically, it is at a hotel that has been abandoned. People have reported the smell of gas leaks, overgrown landscaping, lack of lighting, etc.
img_7526-jpg.476070

Thanks @bwalker5 and @MorrisonHiker
Interesting history on this site... seems at one point there was hope of reviving a hotel of some sort here, but apparently over the years the renovation plan was abandoned. And those posts about the nails/screws... will avoid if I can.
Fortunately, the new Joplin location should be open in the next month or so. I'm pretty sure they'll be shutting the old location down once the new location is up and running.

• Informative
Reactions: PStewart
It's located in the parking lot of an abandoned, run down hotel and its pretty secluded. Not too bad during the day but if you pulled up for the first time late at night you'll understand. Not much within walking distance so you cant multitask while charging. The new location will be in a gas station lot so you can make use of your time charging with a bathroom or snack break. Here is a good video:
IIRC there's a Cheddar's within a short walk. I've never eaten there but it's some type of restaurant chain. But yeah this still holds the top spot on my worst supercharger location list. Maybe Miner, MO will take over once the new Joplin one gets built :)

Edit to add: Looks like Steak n Shake, Olive Garden, and Outback are a reasonable walking distance as well.

Read the thread for the existing Supercharger here: Supercharger - Joplin, MO

Basically, it is at a hotel that has been abandoned. People have reported the smell of gas leaks, overgrown landscaping, lack of lighting, etc.
img_7526-jpg.476070
The supercharger stalls were littered with nails, screws, broken glass, etc. on my one visit there back in 2017. (I've gone out of my way to avoid it ever since). I spent my 30 minute charge trying to clean up the area. I actually did have a tire leak a couple days later. Not sure if I picked up the intrusion there or not.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
It should be opening shortly. I live in Joplin and they definitely need to be moved.

Attachments

• 7CEF1FA7-0F9B-4241-A989-CEB132C36C92.jpeg
    7CEF1FA7-0F9B-4241-A989-CEB132C36C92.jpeg
    415.1 KB · Views: 74
  • AAD1E01E-15AE-4B05-A83B-6D6372AFA009.jpeg
    AAD1E01E-15AE-4B05-A83B-6D6372AFA009.jpeg
    603.8 KB · Views: 69
  • C09C1330-E07B-4D6A-BD80-88B9EC8A1C82.jpeg
    C09C1330-E07B-4D6A-BD80-88B9EC8A1C82.jpeg
    407.9 KB · Views: 73