Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
May be in the area tomorrow during day. Has this SC station improved since posts before 2019?

It’s an ok place to charge. The area doesn’t feel great, particularly at night but I’ve charged there many times in 2019 and it’s fine. The nearby hotel is a good place to go for a few minutes and they seem friendly. In the last few months, there are generally other people charging there too, that helps the “abandoned hotel parking lot vibe.”

Reactions: miles267
Was told by a local (via Twitter) , that the Joplin site is the Stephen King of Superchargers, had to check it out. Arrived just before dawn, and the site lived up to the title! Photo taken October 12, 2019
IMG_7526.JPG

Last edited:
Was told by a local (via Twitter) , that the Joplin site is the Stephen King of Superchargers, had to check it out. Arrived just before dawn, and the site lived up to the title! Photo taken October 12, 2019
View attachment 476070

I was just here last week (July 13), and it looks the same. Deserted, White van parked behind the dumpster, everything. I could smell natural/propane gas if I walked up to the deserted building behind it. Creepy!

I have been to a few out of the way SC's but without a doubt Joplin takes the cake for the Supercharger to avoid. It is in the parking lot of a condemned restaurant right next to the now abandoned Joplin Convention Center. No one has mowed or maintained anything, and the doors right next to the the chargers have warnings from the health department that it is an unsafe property. You have to wind around through a deserted little road to get there and there are zero facilities, unless you consider the old abandoned loading dock full of trash around the corner a good place to go.

It does get used as I have twice run into others there. If you are on I-44 and can charge at the Hard Rock in Catoosa, or Springfield, MO, I would skip Joplin.

I've charged there once, just over 3 years ago. There was construction going on the building by the Superchargers then -- figured it was a hotel being renovated. We walked over to the Steak 'N Shake to grab a snack and use the facilities -- is that still open (the chain has closed a lot of locations over the last 2 years...)?

I've charged there once, just over 3 years ago. There was construction going on the building by the Superchargers then -- figured it was a hotel being renovated. We walked over to the Steak 'N Shake to grab a snack and use the facilities -- is that still open (the chain has closed a lot of locations over the last 2 years...)?

I believe they are still open. I was in the area in early June.

Let me just say that I like Joplin. I was born in Hannibal and Joplin has been my preferred route and stopping point from Austin to Quincy, Ill for well over 20 years. My youngest son used to demand that we stop and look at the military tank on the way in traveling east on I-44. I absolutely loved the huge Holiday Inn with multiple pools as a must-stop with my kids on summer vacation trips. And I was horrified when the entire area and half of Joplin was decimated by an F4 tornado some years back. I am happy to see Joplin back in business. Who remembers the Bob Cummings Show?

We've used the Joplin SC site a few times, and It is creepy, The abandoned Hilton Hotel was the host of the Supercharger a few years ago, and stopped a remodel I think. We too have stayed in Joplin at the Hampton Inn that isn't too far from the charger, and it was fine.