Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Junction, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you're in Austin, you can get to Amarillo already by way of Cisco and Childress. Only 2 supercharger stops needed. Cisco->Childress is about 191 miles and doable with a 85kWh and probably smaller batteries depending on how you drive.

I did this last weekend in the opposite direction and had no issues in an S85. I think it's more uphill going northwest from Austin between Cisco and Amarillo, but the winds may be more in your favor. I'm waiting to hear a report from someone who tries this. :)

Even still great news that I-10 chargers are under construction.

I know, finally!!

Is anyone interested in a formal or informal gathering in Junction? The museum there has an event planned for 11/19; I will attempt to attend if the SuperCharger is functioning.

According to Google Maps, shortest route between San Marcos and Junction is 130 miles (~260 miles total).
So, if you have at least an S85 or 90D (and manage your speed), you could RT it back to San Marcos.

There might even be someone on Plugshare or locate an RV Park that would allow you a short supplemental charge to make the drive a bit more enjoyable/less adventurous.

Does anyone have any recommendations and or experience driving between Tucson and Austin? I am going bonkers trying to figure out how to best accomplish this! Any help would be appreciated.

I think the best route to Austin (from Orange County) would NOT entail driving to or thru Tucson.
Unless you have the extra time using RV Parks and other Level 2 Charging systems.

I would head East using I-40 until you get to Amarillo, then head down to Childress, then Cisco, then Waco, then on to Austin.
A couple of times you may need to fully charge (Childress to Cisco) but most of the rest of the charging should not be that strenuous and time consuming.

From reading other threads, Sweetwater's Supercharger is not reliable/operable right now, so I would NOT plan to use (need) it.
(Although I successfully charged there on Oct. 20 on my way to Carlsbad, NM.)

IF you MUST visit both Tucson and Austin, you will need to go to Casa Grande, then back-track thru Phoenix (North) to Flagstaff and then continue (East) on I-40.
Superchargers are the best way to travel long distances.
I avoid RV Parks and State Parks unless there is just no other Option.

Best of luck on your journey.
I trust you have an S85 or a 90D.
A couple of the routes will be out of range/challenging for S60, S70 and some of the P85s.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: StoXto3toY
According to Google Maps, shortest route between San Marcos and Junction is 130 miles (~260 miles total).
So, if you have at least an S85 or 90D (and manage your speed), you could RT it back to San Marcos.

There might even be someone on Plugshare or locate an RV Park that would allow you a short supplemental charge to make the drive a bit more enjoyable/less adventurous.

I think the best route to Austin (from Orange County) would NOT entail driving to or thru Tucson.
Unless you have the extra time using RV Parks and other Level 2 Charging systems.

I would head East using I-40 until you get to Amarillo, then head down to Childress, then Cisco, then Waco, then on to Austin.
A couple of times you may need to fully charge (Childress to Cisco) but most of the rest of the charging should not be that strenuous and time consuming.

From reading other threads, Sweetwater's Supercharger is not reliable/operable right now, so I would NOT plan to use (need) it.

IF you MUST visit both Tucson and Austin, you will need to go to Casa Grande, then back-track thru Phoenix (North) to Flagstaff and then continue (East) on I-40.

Thank you! Much appreciated.

I agree, it is likely to be far faster taking a chain of SuperChargers. Tucson would be much more of an adventure, though. Through that part of the country, it is pretty easy to average 50mph on SuperChargers; I think 55-60 mph is possible. The southern route, through ElPaso, is lower and therefore quite a bit nicer. Flagstaff is an alpine island much prone to snow and ice.

Went by Junction yesterday - pedestals were installed but surrounded by a chain link fence.
Looks like it still needs a week or so of cleanup. Site is under the trees at the west edge of the Chevron
parking lot. Could not find any more construction in Ozona or Fort Stockton - will look again next week.
When you're in Ozona, check the Best Western. Rumor is that's where it will go.

IMG_0128.JPG

As of Nov 20th.
I wish it was ready!

When you're in Ozona, check the Best Western. Rumor is that's where it will go.

The September 12th Agenda for the Crockett County Commissioners Court included an item to discuss an AEP easement on Avenue A in Ozona for a Tesla charging station. The Best Western is on Avenue A. There are apparently no meeting minutes online, so I haven't been able to figure out what action was taken, but that would appear to be the spot.

• Informative
Reactions: Justicepool
The September 12th Agenda for the Crockett County Commissioners Court included an item to discuss an AEP easement on Avenue A in Ozona for a Tesla charging station. The Best Western is on Avenue A. There are apparently no meeting minutes online, so I haven't been able to figure out what action was taken, but that would appear to be the spot.
Nice sleuthing! New thread created - Supercharger - Ozona, TX

From your lips to God's ear! It sometimes takes a week or two longer for the Tesla bunny to pass through. Correct about the number labels on the charging bollards. Those are applied by the Tesla tech on activation day.

From your lips to God's ear! It sometimes takes a week or two longer for the Tesla bunny to pass through. Correct about the number labels on the charging bollards. Those are applied by the Tesla tech on activation day.

I don't know how close Ozona is to being finished. Perhaps they are waiting to send someone to open both.

I was in my S60D, so it would be complicated to try to make it to Ozona to check the status, involving an overnight stay. Junction is more important to me personally, so that I can jump to Sweetwater then Childress and west from there. I don't expect an I-10 path to be open by the time I might need it to go west in late April, so Ozona is just a step with no landing for me.

Reactions: HillCountryFun