Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Junction, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why not? I do. They're putting in a concentrated effort to supercharge the Texas portion of I-10. This is utterly pointless if they don't make it go somewhere. Yeah, I think it will all be there by April. I-80 too.

Finishing 6-7 Superchargers in 4 months will require multiple crews being moved to the area. Sure, it can be done. Heck, it might already be almost done. It's not like we have many Tesla drivers passing through there to check on progress.

IMG_1476.JPG
Still not open. Looks like all they need is the fence around the inverters though.

Finishing 6-7 Superchargers in 4 months will require multiple crews being moved to the area. Sure, it can be done. Heck, it might already be almost done. It's not like we have many Tesla drivers passing through there to check on progress.
I don't think Tesla sends crews to the sites except at the end to inspect and to commission. Based upon the photos on numerous threads it appears they hire local electrical contractors and use national engineering firms to handle detailed design, permitting and construction inspection. With that said, getting multiple crews should not be difficult, but the permitting processes needs to be well along by now to finish by the spring. I always thought that the push on I-10 would be this winter when more northern locations would have more weather issues. Let's hope I'm rigjht.

I don't think Tesla sends crews to the sites except at the end to inspect and to commission. Based upon the photos on numerous threads it appears they hire local electrical contractors and use national engineering firms to handle detailed design, permitting and construction inspection. With that said, getting multiple crews should not be difficult, but the permitting processes needs to be well along by now to finish by the spring. I always thought that the push on I-10 would be this winter when more northern locations would have more weather issues. Let's hope I'm rigjht.

I've always thought that would make sense -- concentrate on warmer areas in the winter, but historically that doesn't seem to have been the practice.

And they do have contracted crews that move around and do the installations, no doubt with cooperation from local electricians. The crews are probably fairly regional, staying within a few state area.

Permits in rural Texas? We don't need no stinkin permits...

I blew up the picture and as best I can tell the T E S L A letters are not lit so my guess is not yet functional...

Agree. I wonder if they had decided to forgo putting fencing around some of the Supercharger equipment, but since the Sweetwater SC was supposedly "sabotaged", maybe they changed their minds and that's the holdup? I never heard if Sweetwater actually was intentionally damaged. Sweetwater DOES have a fence, so maybe that isn't much deterrent -- just there to keep out the curious.

Agree. I wonder if they had decided to forgo putting fencing around some of the Supercharger equipment, but since the Sweetwater SC was supposedly "sabotaged", maybe they changed their minds and that's the holdup? I never heard if Sweetwater actually was intentionally damaged. Sweetwater DOES have a fence, so maybe that isn't much deterrent -- just there to keep out the curious.

Darwin's theory of evolution should kick in when the vandals start playing around that much electricity...

• Funny
Reactions: XHabjab and BerTX
Couple more shots. That is the I-10 access road that backs up to the supercharger. I wanted to get an aerial shot with the drone but there is a very small airport nearby so it's a no fly zone. Trucker saw me pull in and I wasn't far enough back for the cable to reach so I used summon to back it up a little more. He came out and we spoke for a while about the usual questions regarding range, performance, etc.

IMG_5587.JPG
IMG_5588.JPG

Now, do we have any scouts between El Paso and Tucson, and El Paso and Albuquerque? I'm starting to get excited about a trip along the Southern Route to California.

In Arizona we are watching the El Paso to Tucson I-10 and can't wait for a few more permits to get this route going for use this Winter. We will let you know any progress. It was promised for last year but by April of this year will be ok with all Tesla have going on. Maybe we can get a few SC with Solar and storage in Sunny AZ?

Interesting happenings at the Junction Supercharger that we hadn't heard about. The single pylon they had put out for head-on parking was apparently hit and damaged. I thought it was a little exposed and right in the truck path from the pumps. They have added a curb peninsula at one end of the Superchargers, and added protective posts around the pull-in stall.
IMG_20170222_093101.jpg
IMG_20170222_093134.jpg