Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Katy, TX - Katy Freeway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No pictures, but things still look about the same. The big spools of cable are still there, perhaps implying the cable has not been run yet. Space allocated for a transformer but none placed yet. All but one pedestal were covered in an “out of service” hood. Several workers on site.

There is progress but 24 pedestals will take a while to get things completed.

The transformer is on the pad but not yet connected to the distribution lines. There's been modest progress on the rest of the site, but there's more cable to run and lots of trench filling and landscaping to complete.
SuperCharger_Katy_20221119_1.jpg

The transformer is on the pad but not yet connected to the distribution lines. There's been modest progress on the rest of the site, but there's more cable to run and lots of trench filling and landscaping to complete.
View attachment 876350
Is the utility pole at the end of the 3 feeders running out the top-right of this photo? You will see the 3 fuses which will be in the open position until they make the transformer "hot". Thanks for the update as transformer setting is an important milestone.

Is the utility pole at the end of the 3 feeders running out the top-right of this photo? You will see the 3 fuses which will be in the open position until they make the transformer "hot". Thanks for the update as transformer setting is an important milestone.
I should have included a picture of that. If my memory is correct, there are no fuses yet. In fact, it didn't look like there were any conductors to get the power down from the pole. The feeders were fastened to the pole and had only a short leader dangling from each one and those leaders were connected to nothing. I don't know the proper terminology. I have a BS in EE but I focused on high frequency stuff and never worked in transmission & distribution, so I don't know how to properly describe what I was looking at.

• Informative
Reactions: STDRDC13 and CarlS
Went by this location today (12/4/2022), looks ready to go with the exception of the tap to the primary line, the riser and underground pull to the xfrmr and the meter set:

View attachment 881556View attachment 881557View attachment 881558
View attachment 881559
All attention should be on the conduit(s) coming out of the ground by the utility pole in picture 881559. Once those conduits run up the pole and feeders connected its on Tesla to "flip the switch".

Reactions: HillCountryFun
Do this mean that an ETA for opening is more in the days, weeks, or months range?
Utility company needs to:
(A) Run the conduit up the utility pole.
(B) Pull feeders (wire) from overhead to the transformer.
(C) Set the meter in the meter can on the transformer.
(D) Install the fuses at the overheads on the pole.

Then Tesla will come out and "Turn On" the supercharger.

My guess is the utility company will complete their part in the next 10 days and Tesla always has their portion done within 3 days after the meter is hot.

Reactions: CarlS
Utility company needs to:
(A) Run the conduit up the utility pole.
(B) Pull feeders (wire) from overhead to the transformer.
(C) Set the meter in the meter can on the transformer.
(D) Install the fuses at the overheads on the pole.

Then Tesla will come out and "Turn On" the supercharger.

My guess is the utility company will complete their part in the next 10 days and Tesla always has their portion done within 3 days after the meter is hot.
I seen the Utility and / or City inspector accompanying the heat up. Utility has to slam the cartridge fuses up the pole.

This one has been interesting to follow. Thanks All Merry Christmas

Each cabinet can only take 350 kVA input. 24 stalls would likely be on a 2000 or a 1750 (undersized).
I know most of the Houston area SC’s I’ve watched come online have 500 kVa per cabinet, which agrees with your statement as the utility company doesn’t run their equipment at 100% and 375 is 75% load from the 500 kVa transformers. I really ask because I’m curious how they will size that monster 48 stall SC in Temple.

I know most of the Houston area SC’s I’ve watched come online have 500 kVa per cabinet, which agrees with your statement as the utility company doesn’t run their equipment at 100% and 375 is 75% load from the 500 kVa transformers. I really ask because I’m curious how they will size that monster 48 stall SC in Temple.

Transformers are usually rated at 100% output, so the 80% rule doesn't apply. Most 8-stalls V3 are on 750 kVA and 12-stalls are on 1,000 kVA. I've seen some with undersized transformers and also some with oversized transformers, hinting at future expansion.