Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This trip seems doomed from the outset.
Not at all. I have traveled these parts as a child with my parents and I have taken my children to the same places through their college years. As mentioned above, the San Juan River trip is not only a float trip but plenty of pictographs and cliff dwellings to visit along with a hillside of fossils. It's an all day trip to thrill any teenagers. Both Hopi and Navajo lands can be fascinating if one gets out of their cars and relates to the people there. The scenery is spectacular, even for teenagers. A nice idea would be to have your kids view one of the short documentaries about the Navajo Code Talkers, without which we would have had our butts wiped out in the South Pacific during WWII. Along your drive north of Flagstaff, stop at Cameron Trading Post and check out the smaller building on the right (it's locked, you have to knock) to see the higher end Navajo and Hopi crafts. Very expensive but a marvel to appreciate. Then there is 4-Corners, near Bluff Utah, where your teenagers can stand in 4 states at the same time. A good read for teenagers would be Edward Abbey's, "The Monkey Wrench Gang", takes place around Bluff, Moab, and Monticello. Plenty of action and funny too. All in all, as long as your teenagers have a decent attitude, this trip should open their eyes and be quite enjoyable. Lastly, Page, AZ is a pit. I would avoid it even if you have to charge a bit longer in Tuba City or Gouldings to make up for it.

Reactions: ohmman
Not at all. I have traveled these parts as a child with my parents and I have taken my children to the same places through their college years. As mentioned above, the San Juan River trip is not only a float trip but plenty of pictographs and cliff dwellings to visit along with a hillside of fossils. It's an all day trip to thrill any teenagers. Both Hopi and Navajo lands can be fascinating if one gets out of their cars and relates to the people there. The scenery is spectacular, even for teenagers. A nice idea would be to have your kids view one of the short documentaries about the Navajo Code Talkers, without which we would have had our butts wiped out in the South Pacific during WWII. Along your drive north of Flagstaff, stop at Cameron Trading Post and check out the smaller building on the right (it's locked, you have to knock) to see the higher end Navajo and Hopi crafts. Very expensive but a marvel to appreciate. Then there is 4-Corners, near Bluff Utah, where your teenagers can stand in 4 states at the same time. A good read for teenagers would be Edward Abbey's, "The Monkey Wrench Gang", takes place around Bluff, Moab, and Monticello. Plenty of action and funny too. All in all, as long as your teenagers have a decent attitude, this trip should open their eyes and be quite enjoyable. Lastly, Page, AZ is a pit. I would avoid it even if you have to charge a bit longer in Tuba City or Gouldings to make up for it.
Yes, but how many bars of 4G do you get?
PLUS EV was joking, as I am now.

• Funny
Reactions: gene and PLUS EV
Gene has great suggestions as a tour guide, Sand Island specifically just outside of bluff is filled with Petroglyphs along the river in both directions and this well placed Claret Cup will probably blooming in the next few weeks..
IMG_8355.JPG

Admittedly it has been 18 years since I was last there, but I remember that being the worst tourist trap I had ever been to.
Yes, it's a horrible tourist trap, but for a geography buff like me, it was a must see. I got turned away the first time, but I went back a few years later much earlier in the day. They close at like 5pm or something ridiculous in mid-summer. They were turning us away at 5:01pm lol.

Yes, it's a horrible tourist trap, but for a geography buff like me, it was a must see. I got turned away the first time, but I went back a few years later much earlier in the day. They close at like 5pm or something ridiculous in mid-summer. They were turning us away at 5:01pm lol.

I am too lazy to research this again, but I recall that the pin in the ground commemorating the four corners area is off by a couple hundred feet. The surveying techniques back in the day were not as precise as today, particularly with GPS.

If someone does visit, I would hope that they would have a precise instrument to check latitude and longitude at the pin and then compare the reading with the actual latitude and longitude that defines the borders of the four states.

I am too lazy to research this again, but I recall that the pin in the ground commemorating the four corners area is off by a couple hundred feet. The surveying techniques back in the day were not as precise as today, particularly with GPS.

If someone does visit, I would hope that they would have a precise instrument to check latitude and longitude at the pin and then compare the reading with the actual latitude and longitude that defines the borders of the four states.
But the precise lat/lon are not the actual border. Even though the surveyors were inaccurate back in the day, their decisions were generally final in terms of border locations. Also, if you look closely at many of our "straight line" borders, many of them are not actually straight.

Admittedly it has been 18 years since I was last there, but I remember that being the worst tourist trap I had ever been to.

gosh I went there once ages ago, a lot more than 18 years.
My memory is vague but I don't really remember it being that much of a tourist trap.
It wasn't all that crowded.
Just seemed kind of silly. A dividing line between arbitrary governments.

But the precise lat/lon are not the actual border. Even though the surveyors were inaccurate back in the day, their decisions were generally final in terms of border locations. Also, if you look closely at many of our "straight line" borders, many of them are not actually straight.

I am well aware of that, PlusEV. No need to be condescending, OK? I merely thought that this was an interesting point that perhaps a few people did not know.

I'll be in Kayenta again in August. If we still have no details about a Kayenta Supercharger, I will ask around.
Who would you ask? Population 5700. Tesla is putting them on the map, for better or worse.
But thanks, hope you find out something.
At least the tesla map says 2018 and not 2019, meaning they are thinking about it, but don't hold your breath. The ones that will happen in 2018 say something like summer 2018 or fall 2018.

I'm waiting to see the surge in SC locations. If Tesla is going from 1200 to 10,000 in the next 19 months, they should be sprouting up like weeds. A big game changer might be to get one of the convenient store chains to agree to house SCs. I thought there was talk of this ~6 mos ago, but I haven't heard anything since.
Kayenta, Arizona - Wikipedia

Hello fellow Tesla owners: I’m a Californian planning a trip to New Mexico (staying in Santa Fe and then Taos) in late September, heading home early October. Looking at the Find Us page on Tesla’s website I noted the gray pin for Kayenta and “Coming soon... Target opening in 2018”. Then I searched this forum and found that this thread was started in 2015 when Tesla first indicated there would be a Supercharger in Kayenta. A little behind schedule... ;) So I won’t be planning on a Supercharger being available there for my trip. Looks like I will have to use I40 and use the 64 & 160 route on a future trip. I’ll be towing a 17 ft camper trailer which reduces my range by 50% to 90% so have to plan my charging stops carefully. Sure I can drive from RV campground to RV campground if they have electrical hookups available but the charging is so slow that it limits my daily total mileage traveled to 150 miles or less. On routes with Superchargers I can easily do 400 miles in a day.