Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I snooped around Kayenta today and asked some folks I know but no info at all about a Supercharger. It's possible Tesla realizes the need for a Kayenta Supercharger but simply hasn't don't any actual footwork yet.

I do want to show you an email I wrote to several Mercedes Benz contacts today. This was after witnessing this display of disrespect by Mercedes test drivers with Mercedes plates on them.

"
"Hello, I hope this message reaches somebody with authority at Mercedes Benz.
Today on the Navajo Nation in Arizona there was a group of Mercedes cars with manufacturer plates. 5 or 6 vehicles traveling at over 100 mph speeds. Passing very the cars dangerously, and nearly causing accidents on several occasions. What’s more the cars raced through the town of Kayenta at over 60 mph.
You are a German company testing your cars on the Navajo Nation. Many people saw this happening and the Navajo Tribal Police were informed and attempted to apprehend the Mercedes cars.
The roads on the Navajo Nation are narrow and very dangerous. We have many deaths on these roads. Very sadly often the Navajo people are the victims of speeding outsiders.
Shame on Mercedes Benz for allowing your drivers to travel through Navajo Lands at such dangerous speeds and with such reckless behavior!
I would say firing these particular drivers: You know who they are, and a formal apology to the Navajo people is in order.
Gene
(contact info given to Mercedes)"

A few years back I stumbled upon a fatality wreck between Teec Nos Pos and Red Mesa. Can still remember the guy's feet sticking out from under the sheet on the shoulder of the road. After reading reports, I learned he was drunk driving without his seat belt on and had been ejected from the car. All 3 of the fatality accidents I have come across were in rural Arizona.

Reactions: gene
I grew up 25 miles from Kayenta. I keep watching the supercharger map hoping to see some progress. The superchargers are few and far between through the area and I'd like to be able to visit without having to wonder where I'll get my next charge.

Reactions: SnowFlyer
Has anyone heard anything on the status of this location? Just shows as 'target opening in 2019' which, as we all know, means nothing. I've got a trip in July for which this would be really helpful. I'm hoping that with the debut of V3, some of these back-burner installations will pick up steam, but I may just be optimistic.

No way you will have a Supercharger in Kayenta by July. Use Plugshare for other options. Tuba City, Bluff Utah, Monument Valley will offer you options. BTW, Bluff Ut. is a wonderful place to hang out a few days, there are free J1772 at Twin Rocks cafe.. I highly recommend the all day river raft with Wild Rivers Exp. down the San Juan River. Comb Ridge Cafe is fabulous food.

Yeah, we're seeing a bunch of NPS sites on this trip, and L2 chargers won't really cut it aside from at overnight stops for purposes of this trip. I think we'll be fine with Poncha, overnight L2 in Durango, Blanding, and Page, just with some slower-than-ideal driving in the most desolate legs. Alamosa and Kayenta will make this route much easier for folks.

I want to go to the bridge at the Salt River Canyon Rest Stop it shows 98 miles from my house next to Lost Dutchman State Park.
There is a destination charger in Globe may be a possibility.
Doesn't sound too bad if you're careful, especially in summer. But I know how it can be kind of annoying when you want to explore more and don't have the range to mess around.

I did a drive by on those destination chargers in Globe back in January and they appeared to be functional and rarely used. I'm sure you could plug in without even asking permission based on how they were laid out. If you are really worried you could try topping off there on the way up so you have extra range. You're going through Globe both ways anyway.

That area around the rest stop you are talking about is an amazing drive and for some reason I never hear anyone else talk about it. I think I've only been fortunate enough to drive it once during the day but I really enjoyed it. Seems to be a hidden gem of Arizona driving.

Yeah, we're seeing a bunch of NPS sites on this trip, and L2 chargers won't really cut it aside from at overnight stops for purposes of this trip. I think we'll be fine with Poncha, overnight L2 in Durango, Blanding, and Page, just with some slower-than-ideal driving in the most desolate legs. Alamosa and Kayenta will make this route much easier for folks.

You are going to be toast.

Well, it's like Tesla heard me. Although rather than taking the easy (it seems) route of adding Kayenta for me, they re-architected the Model X to add 30 miles of range...

Road trip secured.

Lt0vcj7As2zm8ziTdcSWz-ODACvU9Xo2sKTsZO9bO8viMjf3v69RV4p5NzKaU4HVpQLAwVu0_5jbkAhUtAOyPbrXn_EDv06wcjNWzIH-s3cEkfJES4fGgg_E_fI_3LbzCjqtGGTUaEIdkmeurnjH7eSQn8Ug9CF4520pXwjrGm3fKYbj_cVzWEBX-hiKUHZrs5MR0QnKP7Qi57HPB_lfFzN-mk2br-QSgfX_e-Q0uUzgRZnPRHzcRXdHyoF8O57EjWfA-cqzfokfrWwspVmS_TCcDjrN1mOxuVIT6a7lQPrUQ01srCHEskc54BYpZwBSFOjoJHPYJi5Ffi6HYJjkYD-dLWL6WtQYeLd23pKggCg9iZTJ5Bit3ommF1LQAhdak7h5ZEDQn-LBvgAWAt2FP-i1ENmcO7D3woC47y9Z2CwO13iU4v3-twZxsEaQkKXE24htvImfldssW_-ZJ3MnS6sJMnHvHiztILpZuFgP1uXI6JwffNjA1__O_hEfjyuz4m5edR2bZyc_2ld_d54xilMttWgcaDL2dhf1e7AJadMSj4ef9MLh5MDIQrqs30KJOyzw4QV4B71deQXEs-48RB6oUuHt-eICi4oTL-GhL0EJxwwuL3A_emWM4on7ThtgNlebMYL3B837cC3jiYMW3rgCFXzj5F9ow_VhUyggh228KDsj7dEgyaodTgpuSDlYjBvBwqH3EhelWy9QFd0676KINQ=w1263-h947-no

Reactions: gene and tmoz