Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tucson and Willcox are higher priorities on Tesla's latest Supercharge plan. I can't imagine all of the 2017 planned sites will get done this year, whcih suggests 2018-2019 for Kayenta -- at best.
Not sure if you've noticed but there is often no rhyme or reason to the order in which the superchargers show up. So I wouldn't assume anything in terms of Tucson and Willcox being lit up before places like Kayenta and Payson.

We are going to try to get from Flagstaff, AZ to Blanding Utah.
Looks like we have to take the scenic route through Page, Az.
But even then, I will have some range anxiety making it from Page to Blanding.
I see that a SC is planned for Kayenta, and now I know why.
Sure wish this one was operational sooner rather than later, but it isn't on the list for 2017 completion.

Just saw the thread on kayenta - tried to delete this post but to no avail.

Last edited:
That is a very good idea. We may skip page and try to go directly from Flag to Blanding.
Charging opportunities in both Tuba City and Goulding.
We did skip Page and go straight from Flag to Blanding. Had to keep the speed down, but did make it OK. (S 85D).
Stopped to try out the tuba city 8KW charger - gained 5 miles of range in the 10 mins we stayed there. Bought some cool coasters in the gift shop. Looked like a nice hotel.

• Helpful
Reactions: SnowFlyer
Isn't hiking interesting to them? They can chart % charge left to see if you have to walk 20 miles to find cell service to call AAA - that should grab their attention.
But seriously, It is only 200 miles, and I really trust EVtripplanner. Worse case, drive 6o mph instead of 74 mph.

• Funny
Reactions: Owner
EVtripplanner.com says it should take 45 kWh one way and 50 kwh the other way at nominal speed.
Assume an S 75 with 19" tires
We have Model X. So it's a lot heavier than the S. My range with full charge new is 237. Now it shows only 220 miles when fully charged. With the weather in August, it will be quite risky to tackle the 200 miles from Page to Blanding.

We have Model X. So it's a lot heavier than the S. My range with full charge new is 237. Now it shows only 220 miles when fully charged. With the weather in August, it will be quite risky to tackle the 200 miles from Page to Blanding.
Cold weather is worse than hot. I'm in phoenix. I don't notice much degradation in the summer.
Unless you are referring to Monsoon rains, then yes, I'll agree with you.

There might also be a campground somewhere in between just in case something goes wrong.
I'd say, locate the campground and give it a shot driving 60 mph. Bring your charging cable of course just in case.

Even if you decide not to do it, you might want to drive 60 mph for an hour to increase your confidence of expanded range with slower speeds.

Actually, we are coming from LA. Planning to hit Antelope canyons, Zion, and maybe Bryce and Moab if possible. I have 2 teenager boys, so I need to find something interesting for them to do vs just sight seeing and hiking.
There are several destination chargers in the area. Tuba City, Monument Valley, and Gouldings. In Bluff you can charge at the RV Park or even do an overnight at the wonderful Recapture Inn and use their 120v. Recapture has a nice swimming pool. Also in Bluff, Wild Rivers does a fabulous one day raft trip down the San Juan through the Goose Necks. Me, I'd rather be in Bluff than the crowds of Moab any day.

There are several destination chargers in the area. Tuba City, Monument Valley, and Gouldings. In Bluff you can charge at the RV Park or even do an overnight at the wonderful Recapture Inn and use their 120v. Recapture has a nice swimming pool. Also in Bluff, Wild Rivers does a fabulous one day raft trip down the San Juan through the Goose Necks. Me, I'd rather be in Bluff than the crowds of Moab any day.
Thanks! I'll look into.

@Helen Lau: Goulding's Campground in Monument Valley has been the default 'insurance charge' stop for Blanding-Flagstaff since the Supercharger network was young. I used it a couple of times with my Sig S85 on road trips until I learned that in good conditions I could easily make it from Blanding to Flag (the uphill direction) without charging, so long as I kept the speeds down until I was sure I had it made. It's only 125 miles from Page to Goulding's, and 74 miles from Goulding's to Blanding. As you approach Monument Valley, you should be able to determine if stopping for a 10kW charge at Goulding's is needed. Call Goulding's at (435) 727-3235 before leaving Kayenta to make sure they can accommodate you.

If the weather is favorable, you can try Flagstaff-Goulding's and give Page a miss. It's 178 miles, but 1500' downhill and nominally requires about 145 Rated miles. You'd have to spend a couple of hours at Goulding's, or more, but it's a nice place, has a decent restaurant a short walk from the campground, and there's a little museum/gift shop next to the restaurant.

• Informative
Reactions: gene and tmoz