Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm... might be elevation changes on that route causing increased consumption?
No way that would be a 20% difference. I'd be surprised if it were a 2% difference. I don't use it much but from the stuff I read on these forums, ABRP has all sorts of glitches. Definitely gotta be smarter than the technology sometimes. Or at least aware enough to notice when it spits out something that doesn't make any sense.

I was blindly following ABRP and Tesla nav and went through Mexican Hat (not Monument Valley)
Even now, ABRP suggests that Monument Valley takes an additional 20%, which makes no sense at all.

I wish, it was long after dark at this point, so that didn't help anything but cutting down the traffic (I realize you are being sarcastic, but the view I got was just the road right in front of me and the ABRP map showing me unhappy thoughts)
I didn't mean to be sarcastic (I didn't read your post closely enough), I'm just saying I've driven in that area and had to drive under the speed limit in order to reach Moab.
I thought it was daytime for you, in which case driving slower isn't that bad, but nobody wants to drive under the limit at night unless there is snow, ice, rain, or low fuel/battery conditions in play.

BTW, I emailed Rich Rivers, the director of operations at the Hampton Kayenta ([email protected]) asking about the possibility of adding EV charging at the hotel or nearby. I received only a terse reply that Tuba City was the closest charging option, but his reply was cc'd to several others. So who knows. It may not be optimal timing given the impacts of covid on the Navajo nation, but I figure it can't hurt for them to know people are interested, at least...

This Hampton Inn has a restaurant and since the Hampton in (outside of) Gallup, NM, is a Supercharger location, they should be asked who on site can coordinate communication with Tesla. Whether people supercharge and go, eat dinner there, or spend the night, if they become a Tesla Supercharger location, Tesla pays for pretty much everything as I understand it. Maybe suggest that they make the effort now so they don't miss an opportunity because it goes across the street.

Reactions: SnowFlyer
Anyone know a way to contact Tesla to ask about the status of this specific supercharger? Planning a ski trip to Telluride Colorado in February 2021 and having this charger available by then would make that trip from Phoenix Arizona a whole lot easier.

So many chargers being built in California every week, which I get, but these lesser traveled routes would be nice to get some attention from the supercharger team.

Anyone know a way to contact Tesla to ask about the status of this specific supercharger? Planning a ski trip to Telluride Colorado in February 2021 and having this charger available by then would make that trip from Phoenix Arizona a whole lot easier.

So many chargers being built in California every week, which I get, but these lesser traveled routes would be nice to get some attention from the supercharger team.
I have received replies using this: Charging Partners | Tesla

I heard <something> is in the works for Kayenta, but based on what you're asking, it probably won't be ready by February

Wait, whaaattttt???? [excuse me as I stagger to find a place to sit down]

This site has been "coming soon" for so long that I had given up hope. Or by <something> do you mean just an L2 charger, which is also currently lacking in Kayenta...?

I would almost guarantee that there would be no SC there by the end of Feb, but would enjoy being proven wrong.

I would almost guarantee that there would be no SC there by the end of Feb, but would enjoy being proven wrong.
Fortunately there are a couple possible routes from Phoenix to Telluride already. Kayenta could eventually save ~30 minutes, but driving through Gallup is virtually the same distance and only adds 3 miles to the trip.

• Helpful
Reactions: CO_MY and SageBrush
Fortunately there are a couple possible routes from Phoenix to Telluride already. Kayenta could eventually save ~30 minutes, but driving through Gallup is virtually the same distance and only adds 3 miles to the trip.

You're right, I just looked this up and it really is barely longer distance to go through Gallup. The only benefit to the Kayenta one though is that it'd be a V3 SC no doubt, which would be a huge upgrade over the 4-stall V2 one in Gallup that is not always putting out full power (according to PlugShare).

Has anyone done the Phoenix > Telluride route in their Tesla? If so, how was it?

I have a M3 LR AWD with 19" wheels. A little nervous about making it with 3 people in the car + ski gear and luggage since the final stretch of the drive to Telluride is an elevation gain to 10,200 ft (which is then followed up by a descent to 9000ft at the town of Telluride/Mountain Village). Car nav and ABRP says we'd arrive with 9% battery charge, which is fine if that actually ends up being the case but it just doesn't leave a lot of room for error.

You're right, I just looked this up and it really is barely longer distance to go through Gallup. The only benefit to the Kayenta one though is that it'd be a V3 SC no doubt, which would be a huge upgrade over the 4-stall V2 one in Gallup that is not always putting out full power (according to PlugShare).

Has anyone done the Phoenix > Telluride route in their Tesla? If so, how was it?

I have a M3 LR AWD with 19" wheels. A little nervous about making it with 3 people in the car + ski gear and luggage since the final stretch of the drive to Telluride is an elevation gain to 10,200 ft (which is then followed up by a descent to 9000ft at the town of Telluride/Mountain Village). Car nav and ABRP says we'd arrive with 9% battery charge, which is fine if that actually ends up being the case but it just doesn't leave a lot of room for error.
There are a pair of Level 2 EVSEs in Rico, before you get to the top of Lizard Head Pass. Last Plugshare check-in was July 2019 but I presume that they are still there and working.

I don't know if ABRP takes altitude into consideration but, if not, you will find that you do better than calculations because of thinner air and reduced drag, other things such as temperature or heater use being equal. The difference is a lot more than most people realize.

Last edited:
Car nav and ABRP says we'd arrive with 9% battery charge, which is fine if that actually ends up being the case but it just doesn't leave a lot of room for error.
Huh. Via Farmington, NM Supercharger ?
You may have to tell ABRP that you want more than 9% upon arrival so that it directs you to charge in Farmington.

Gallup to Telluride is ~ 234 miles one way, with an elevation climb of ~ 2,500 feet. Farmington is ~ mid-way.

----
I looked again; my strong guess is that ABRP is routing you from Gallup to Telluride directly via Shiprock. Tell the app you want to drive via Farmington Supercharger. Then you can drive like the locals from Gallup (at high speed), enjoy a short stop in Farmington to charge up to 60% SoC, and have a worry free drive to Telluride.

Last edited:

In that case, I would supercharger in Payson, Holbrook, Gallup, and Farmington. The latter is somewhat further out of the way but you aren't going to want to cut it that close in winter. I believe ABRP takes the cold temps into account (if you input them), but I don't think it can calculate the increased drag of whatever gear you are carrying. If you are carrying extra storage outside the frame of the car, you will be in for a surprise in terms of how that negatively affects your range.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that the drive through Kayenta is much more scenic than the drive through Gallup. If it were me by myself in summer with no ski gear, I might go Flagstaff to Blanding to Telluride just because the drive is so much better. Unfortunately this isn't an option for you given your parameters.

Reactions: SageBrush
There are a pair of Level 2 EVSEs in Rico, before you get to the top of Lizard Head Pass. Last Plugshare check-in was July 2019 but I presume that they are still there and working.

I don't know if ABRP takes altitude into consideration but, if not, you will find that you do better than calculations because of thinner air and reduced drag, other things such as temperature or heater use being equal. The difference is a lot more than most people realize.
This is true, but it's not really worth mentioning imo because along with high elevation generally comes colder temperatures and colder temps mean denser air (relative to warmer temps, controlling for elevation) and of course reduced battery efficiency. But yes, if you are lucky enough to be driving across Wyoming on a 80-90F day in July, you will be amazed at the efficiency. But only if you're going west to east of course (because of the wind)! If you live in the area, it might be worth noting, but the circumstances are so rare that it proves beneficial that I wouldn't even bother highlighting it to someone who is just passing through.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
In that case, I would supercharger in Payson, Holbrook, Gallup, and Farmington. The latter is somewhat further out of the way but you aren't going to want to cut it that close in winter. I believe ABRP takes the cold temps into account (if you input them), but I don't think it can calculate the increased drag of whatever gear you are carrying. If you are carrying extra storage outside the frame of the car, you will be in for a surprise in terms of how that negatively affects your range.

Thanks for all the help, guys!

ABRP actually does let me input the extra weight for my passengers and gear (I put 500lbs) and outside temp. I won’t have any gear strapped to the outside of the car. We’ll probably limit heater usage and rely on seat heaters (or nothing) if we can. Weirdly, all day yesterday and the day before it was showing me as not needing to stop at Farmington and only do the 2 stops in Holbrook and Gallup. Now today it’s showing Holbrook, Gallup, and Farmington...

Diverting to Farmington adds quite a bit of time to the overall journey, which I’m trying to avoid if I can. The other 2 people that will be in the car aren’t EV owners (yet!) and I don’t think they’d like their first EV experience being the trip to Telluride taking hours longer than it has in years past when we went up there in their ICE cars.

The in-car nav only showed me as only needing to stop in Payson and Gallup, then arriving in Telluride with 9%. I know that doesn’t take into account weight and outside temp, but I’ve found the in car estimates to be scarily accurate in terms of the percentages you’re going to arrive to destinations at. I’m tempted to trust it...

attached pic of what in car nav showed me this morning. Note that I’m only at 90% in this photo but I’d leave with 100% SOC.
A7D5681F-8152-47E8-A56C-8BADBB3FB26C.jpeg

Thanks for all the help, guys!

ABRP actually does let me input the extra weight for my passengers and gear (I put 500lbs) and outside temp. I won’t have any gear strapped to the outside of the car. We’ll probably limit heater usage and rely on seat heaters (or nothing) if we can. Weirdly, all day yesterday and the day before it was showing me as not needing to stop at Farmington and only do the 2 stops in Holbrook and Gallup. Now today it’s showing Holbrook, Gallup, and Farmington...

Diverting to Farmington adds quite a bit of time to the overall journey, which I’m trying to avoid if I can. The other 2 people that will be in the car aren’t EV owners (yet!) and I don’t think they’d like their first EV experience being the trip to Telluride taking hours longer than it has in years past when we went up there in their ICE cars.

The in-car nav only showed me as only needing to stop in Payson and Gallup, then arriving in Telluride with 9%. I know that doesn’t take into account weight and outside temp, but I’ve found the in car estimates to be scarily accurate in terms of the percentages you’re going to arrive to destinations at. I’m tempted to trust it...

attached pic of what in car nav showed me this morning. Note that I’m only at 90% in this photo but I’d leave with 100% SOC.
View attachment 613344

From my understanding, The in car route planner accounts for something you would have to manually enter in ABRP; Wind. Depending on the conditions at the time of routing.

I’m anxiously awaiting this supercharger to open up for access with standard range cars to monument valley from page. Tesla should work something out with this hotel
Home - Monument Valley View

@MarcoRP please do share your source ;) your a Jedi at finding supercharger locations.

From my understanding, The in car route planner accounts for something you would have to manually enter in ABRP; Wind. Depending on the conditions at the time of routing.

I’m anxiously awaiting this supercharger to open up for access with standard range cars to monument valley from page. Tesla should work something out with this hotel
Home - Monument Valley View

@MarcoRP please do share your source ;) your a Jedi at finding supercharger locations.

To my knowledge and experience the way the in car route planner accounts for wind (or rain, snow, or cold) is once you start driving it measures the energy being used and compares this actual use to what it expected on the route (optimal conditions) and then applies this differential to the remaining route. I don’t believe it’s using wind forecast for anything that sophisticated FYI.

Reactions: SageBrush