Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like the Navajos had a change of heart and are bringing a supercharger to the Kayenta area after all! It will be 56 v3 stalls atop the West Mitten Butte. After the recent PR snafu, they wanted to be sure Tesla owners feel welcome and gave them prime real estate for the project. An environmentally friendly gravel road will be constructed along the back side of the butte and only green vehicles will be allowed to ensure minimal impact on this pristine wilderness.

Construction should be completed in two weeks.
Perhaps one of the best Tesla 4/1 pranks of all time.

He got me too, although the last comment that it would go up in two weeks seemed .... unlikely, even for Tesla ;)
Really, the fact that it was announced as 56 stalls for Kayenta or being placed at the top of the West Mitten Butte didn't tweak your spidey-senses? Those seemed plausible but it was the construction timeline that was unrealistic?

Looks like the Navajos had a change of heart and are bringing a supercharger to the Kayenta area after all! It will be 56 v3 stalls atop the West Mitten Butte. After the recent PR snafu, they wanted to be sure Tesla owners feel welcome and gave them prime real estate for the project. An environmentally friendly gravel road will be constructed along the back side of the butte and only green vehicles will be allowed to ensure minimal impact on this pristine wilderness.

Construction should be completed in two weeks.
Can’t believe you got anyone with this… But hey, if the Navajo community warms even a little to the prospect of a supercharger in the area, that will be great (and very appreciated) progress!

Reactions: PLUS EV
Can’t believe you got anyone with this… But hey, if the Navajo community warms even a little to the prospect of a supercharger in the area, that will be great (and very appreciated) progress!
Leak a rumor to the Navajos that the Hopi are going to go all out on SCs and maybe that will spur them to action. Or maybe the state of Utah can spring for Kayenta to attract AZ tourists? I'll take any angle here.

For the time being, the best stop is Goulding's Lodge & Campground just N of Keyenta across the Utah border. If you have the time, you can car camp overnight (it's allowed), you can wake up to a full charge... and it's one of the most beautiful campgrounds I've ever been to in 48 states.
AEA0F653-CE14-4CC3-988E-5744F605F3AA_1_105_c.jpeg
4864D994-6FFE-4287-87AA-9B555C426B5A_1_105_c.jpeg

For the time being, the best stop is Goulding's Lodge & Campground just N of Keyenta across the Utah border. If you have the time, you can car camp overnight (it's allowed), you can wake up to a full charge... and it's one of the most beautiful campgrounds I've ever been to in 48 states.View attachment 950872View attachment 950873
I've camped at Goulding's a couple of times to charge overnight. Last time there, in April, I had a Y next to me charging but I think they were staying in the Lodge. Goulding's RV Park is a bit pricey by campground standards but way cheaper than staying at a hotel with destination charging.
IMG_20230409_070146633.jpg
IMG_20230408_183136124.jpg
IMG_20230409_085714863.jpg

Leak a rumor to the Navajos that the Hopi are going to go all out on SCs and maybe that will spur them to action. Or maybe the state of Utah can spring for Kayenta to attract AZ tourists? I'll take any angle here.
Utah? Kayenta is in Arizona!

• Love
Reactions: SSonnentag
I've camped at Goulding's a couple of times to charge overnight. Last time there, in April, I had a Y next to me charging but I think they were staying in the Lodge. Goulding's RV Park is a bit pricey by campground standards but way cheaper than staying at a hotel with destination charging.
View attachment 950931View attachment 950932View attachment 950933

Utah? Kayenta is in Arizona!
It would make travel to SE Utah easier, is what they mean. Their idea is that if Utah pays for it, they get more Te$la owner$ vi$iting.

I lived in that canyon for 10 years. Walked or rode my bicycle past the KOA campground every day to go to school and back home. I hiked all the mesas and canyons. It was an absolutely great place to grow up as a kid.

Even though I live in SoCal, I voted for Kayenta as one of the 5 most needed new superchargers in the most recent poll. We visited Mesa Verde on the way to the annular eclipse in Santa Fe with a group of veteran eclipse chasers. Yes we drove to Mesa Verde via the Gallup SC. My 2019 Raven Model S currently has 345 mile rated range. If Cortez had a SC we would have driven the direct route at 65mph.

Far View Lodge at Mesa Verde was a bit of an adventure as there were 5 Teslas competing for the one Tesla Level 2 at the lodge and the J1772 was out of order. We charged at 110 via my 12 gauge extension cord overnight and fortunately got 4 hours on the Level 2 4-8PM on 10/12/23 after our guided tours. We had a lunch stop at the antique 4-stall 120kW Farmington Supercharger on the way from Mesa Verde to Santa Fe.

My wife commented on the obvious need for a SC in Cortez. I pointed out that for Teslas with less range than ours Kayenta would be necessary also. We also left Flagstaff at 100% because we stayed at a motel within walking distance of the Flagstaff SC.