Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Keith SA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a problem with the Tesla destination charger model, it really limits Tesla drivers to particular destinations. We almost never stay at hotels or resorts and prefer B&B accommodation but are now forced to stay at accommodation types that don't suit us. now this suits those businesses and suits Tesla as they can get away with building minimal Superchargers but it doesn't necessarily suit us owners. I appreciate that some destination charger owners will allow charging for no or minimal charge but it's still a very restricting situation

Reactions: BenT
I have a problem with the Tesla destination charger model, it really limits Tesla drivers to particular destinations. We almost never stay at hotels or resorts and prefer B&B accommodation but are now forced to stay at accommodation types that don't suit us. now this suits those businesses and suits Tesla as they can get away with building minimal Superchargers but it doesn't necessarily suit us owners. I appreciate that some destination charger owners will allow charging for no or minimal charge but it's still a very restricting situation

Just use a portable charger and charge anywhere that there is a power point. Call where you want to stay and arrange for access to a plug.

I do that when we are staying somewhere for a few days but if we're only staying a night (i.e. in transit) then I'd only get 100km range. I'd much rather more supercharger options but Tesla seem determined to provide the minimum number of superchargers here and offer destination chargers instead. It just restricts where we can stay and often it means more cost than our preferred options

I do that when we are staying somewhere for a few days but if we're only staying a night (i.e. in transit) then I'd only get 100km range. I'd much rather more supercharger options but Tesla seem determined to provide the minimum number of superchargers here and offer destination chargers instead. It just restricts where we can stay and often it means more cost than our preferred options
I just think they haven't got enough cars here to warrant the vast expense of the superchargers. Each year we get more cars and they build more superchargers. They get a lot more bang for their buck with the destination chargers. Hopefully in five years time all of Australia will be covered and charging issues will just be a thing of the past. In higher density, geographically smaller places Tesla can achieve results a lot easier.

Confirmed that as of yesterday there's no sign I could see of any preparatory work for the Keith supercharger. Did find a working 3-phase plug though as an alternative/backup to the Motor Inn DCs, it's on plugshare now.
Good on ya @lennier ! You have increased the number of SA 3 phase showgrounds on Plugshare by 50% !

I reckon showgrounds are great for daytime charging, which is what is required in Keith at present as Horsham seems to be the obvious overnight spot (from Sydney anyway). I'll be doing the route soon so might use !

Reactions: lennier
How on earth did you find this outlet Lennier?

I've posted some photos so it's easier to find.

Great find!
The Keith showgrounds has a website so I just emailed them to ask on the assumption that it was likely. As it turns out it appears to be the only one unlike other showgrounds that have them everywhere. Did you use it? My wife actually suggested I post some photos on the plugshare entry to make it easier and I'd intended to do that on my way back through last week, but forgot all about it!

Reactions: voyxr6
Yup - worked great! Sparky looked out of place amongst the old harvesters but made for some nice photos!

I streamlined my charging on the way back - 1/2 hour @ Ballarat & approx 2 hours @ Keith then straight through to Adelaide.

I took my electric scooter with me so popped over to the pub for cider & pizza. Great pizza!

Yup - worked great! Sparky looked out of place amongst the old harvesters but made for some nice photos!

I streamlined my charging on the way back - 1/2 hour @ Ballarat & approx 2 hours @ Keith then straight through to Adelaide.

I took my electric scooter with me so popped over to the pub for cider & pizza. Great pizza!
Can you post some photos?

Pizza awesomeness!!!

& it takes 2 ciders

Attachments

• 20170416_163057.jpg
    20170416_163057.jpg
    302.5 KB · Views: 347
Reactions: Blue heaven
Maxicharger going OK ?

Was touch & go last trip but no problems this trip - weird! Was having to start charging @ 20A then after 5 mins could sustain 32A. If i went straight to 32A the Maxicharger would cut out & Sparky kept saying "check charging cable"?

Waiting for my JuiceBooster2 to arrive - better built unit & more reliable apparently. Got to have a hands on @ EVnomics. Very solid unit!

Attachments

• 20170413_145249.jpg
    20170413_145249.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 20170413_145315.jpg
    20170413_145315.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 77
If Tesla are going to drag their feet on SC much longer a savvy hotel owner in Nhill or Kaniva should put in a destination charger. Adelaide to Wendouree is about 610 km so a stop about half way between the two would allow Adelaide to Melbourne with only one overnight charge and a short supercharge. This would be a real advantage over hotels in either Horsham or Keith.